E46 Fanatics Forum banner

started my track car project: (56k warning)

15K views 105 replies 33 participants last post by  vaio76109 
#1 ·
started by ripping out the rear seats, this was by far the funnest part of the day :)

seat belt mechanisms, headrests. leftovers

See less See more
#7 ·
PHAHEEM said:
holy sh!t this whole time I thought you were gutting your new ZCP M3 :yikes: but that pimp...keep us posted
Haha, I thought you were too, should have paid more attention. And when you wrote that you found a pair of sunglasses, I was thinking maybe someone dropped them when they were building your car. :rofl:

Anyways, should be a really fun track car, hopefully you won't experience any subframe damage. :)

#10 ·
oh also does anyone have any idea how to get stripped screws out. i was trying to take out the passenger side rear trim panel, but the star shaped screw thingys were completely stripped. i got the opther side out fine, but these were like they came stripped. i was thinking of just drilling them out maybe i dunno :dunno:

#12 ·
That would be a Torx head. I am guessing someone used a T-27 for a T-30 head.

You need a tool called a retractor. Do a search on google on stripped screw head.

Will ZCPM3 said:
oh also does anyone have any idea how to get stripped screws out. i was trying to take out the passenger side rear trim panel, but the star shaped screw thingys were completely stripped. i got the opther side out fine, but these were like they came stripped. i was thinking of just drilling them out maybe i dunno :dunno:

#13 ·
Mr Paddle.Shift said:
That would be a Torx head. I am guessing someone used a T-27 for a T-30 head.

You need a tool called a retractor. Do a search on google on stripped screw head.

thanks for the info.

iceman1 said:
how much weight did you save from the back and front OEM seats?
no idea im gonna weigh everything when im done. i think its alot thpugh. but the rollbar adds all that weight back in basically

#14 ·
more pics: installed the cage

getting the tar lookin material off was a pain, untill i got a heat gun that it is. you can basically just heat it up and peel it off, otherwise it is really brittle.

heres the main hoop back braces. i used silicon glue stuff on them to protect from water and rust corrosion

#18 ·
hp99hp said:
question...is your airbag sensor on now that you changed the stock seats out? if not how did you fix that problem?
im not shure what i want to do yet about this. i could take the sensors out of the seats and retrofit them into the new ones. but i might just leave it be. to be honest i have a full face felmet, im not shure i want that airbag going off if i have it on. so i leave the sensors out i dont thinkl they'll work. not to safe if im driving it to the track though

Monkeyjuice5051 said:
Can the middle section of the rollcage be removed for rear seat sitting? I know the ACS rollcage lets you. Just wondering, because I want to put in a rollcage and some recaro too.

if you put in a rollbar the back seats are useless. no one can sit back there. if you got in an accident your rear seat passengers would get seriousley hurt if they hit their head on that bar. i think even if you removed the middlle section it wouldnt work and wouldnt be to safe

#20 ·
awesome project. How come you didn't ditch the carpet tubs? Those weigh quite a bit

#22 ·
Will ZCPM3 said:
what are carpet tubs ?? haha

haha just the whole carpet. The liner/insulator is pretty thick

#23 ·
BluE46 said:
haha just the whole carpet. The liner/insulator is pretty thick

i was actually just talking to someone about that tonight. the only thing is i think if i take it out it leaves a pretty deep hole where your feet it, so id have to hold them up, which is fine while at the track, but i dunno if i had to drive somewhere if my legs would get tired.

#24 ·
Will ZCPM3 said:
i was actually just talking to someone about that tonight. the only thing is i think if i take it out it leaves a pretty deep hole where your feet it, so id have to hold them up, which is fine while at the track, but i dunno if i had to drive somewhere if my legs would get tired.
I don't remember how deep they go in. Take a look at some of the FIA touring cars interiors to get an idea.

Also, VAC Motorsports makes some nice diamond cut aluminum floor pans you can replace those carpets with. I was looking into those a while back

VAC

#25 ·
BluE46 said:
I don't remember how deep they go in. Take a look at some of the FIA touring cars interiors to get an idea.

Also, VAC Motorsports makes some nice diamond cut aluminum floor pans you can replace those carpets with. I was looking into those a while back

VAC

those look pretty nice. i heard that the whole carpet plus padding weights around 200 pounds. i dunno if thats true, but thats alot of weight if it is

#26 ·
Will ZCPM3 said:
those look pretty nice. i heard that the whole carpet plus padding weights around 200 pounds. i dunno if thats true, but thats alot of weight if it is
Not sure about exact figures, but they are heavier than they look. I pulled out my rears and they are quite heavy. Pulling them out would be some pretty substantial weight savings. I mean even stock power seats weigh about 100 lbs a piece!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.