E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My first post / corner lights

7K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Tate325xi 
#1 ·
Hi I am a new guy. I just bought my first BMW last Nov. I have a 2005 325xi with about 38k miles on it. I have already had a few problems. The car had a bad metal on metal rattle. Turns out it was a rusted out brake shield. (so they say)They removed it. As it was not covered by the warranty and did not put a new one on. (do I need one?) Now my question on that is I brought it in for a hanging caliper in Dec. They replace the caliper but it was the same wheel that turned into the rattle. Could they be connected/they messed up when doing the brake work? I am not handy with cars so I don't know if they are being up front.
The driver side mirror motor went. Now I can't use either side until they can fit me in.
It also rumbles a bit when cruising but it goes away when I hit the gas (my solution to most problems:evil: )and they cant reproduce it.
I also want to put some better rims I like the gunmetal and black, but I am open to chrome I live in the Buffalo NY area so if you are tryn to sell some cool rims that will fit let me know.
Last but not least I want to replace the corner ugly amber lights (they have some condensation in them/ugly) any links or recommendations? This is exactly what my car looks like

See less See more
#2 ·
I would fix your car's problems before you go looking for chrome rims. If your car is a 2005 with only 38k on it with that many problems, I assure you there are many more things you should address before they go bad.

Also, if you like keeping money in your pocket, I suggest becoming more handy with your car as fast as possible.

Lastly, please don't get chrome rims. You have a BMW not an Escalade.

#4 ·
maintenance first for sure! but clears doesnt hurt either. Just kit up khoalty for those.

38k and no CPO left on it?

#5 ·
The cosmetic bug is hard to pass up. But I agree with everyone here so far... Take it to a good shop and have them inspect it first. After that, I would do the basic clear corner, clear side marker, clear tails, black kidney grills, and then be a bad@ss... and powdercoat those stock rims a with a high gloss grey....Euro as FFF.

#9 ·
Wow, thanks for all the replies. It does not have any original warranty left due to its age. I bought it from an Infinity dealer, and bought their aftermarket warranty so I am covered on most items under it. (it covered the caliper/exterior mirrors ect...) I have to admit I may be responsible for the mirror/condensation in corner lights issues. The local car wash had a deal for unlimited car washes for $25 a month. I went about every other day this winter. Salt makes black cars look like crap, but in hind sight keeping it clean on -10 days probably was a bad idea. I was over zealous but it’s the first car that I bought for me not gas mileage! So any opinions on if the dirt/dust plate behind the front left wheel is needed? What am I risking riding without one? Anyone have a good pic of clear corners with the black or silver trim. That is a tough decision.

#14 ·
I bought it from an Infinity dealer, and bought their aftermarket warranty
That warranty covers replacing the shield, not tearing it off.

NOTHING is on your car that it doesn't need--sorry, but that's a silly question.

Best thing to learn about cars is that you need good mechanics--they do NOT have good BMW mechanics at Infinity dealers. They in fact could easily have mechanics that will deliberately screw up working on your car, since it isn't their brand.

#19 ·
I will admit my car experience starts and ends with oilchange/tune ups on fords...so I am out of my depth here. I called my mechanic (the guy who took the rusting noisy plate off) he said it would be a half hr job costing 45.00. That said if "You will have to pull the hub out of the wheel bearing in order to get a new one back on" would he have need to do that to get it off 2?

we are talking about part #3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EW53&mospid=47726&btnr=34_0758&hg=34&fg=07

#22 ·
hmmm now the question is should I cancel my order. ie: is the 300-500 price tag worth the protection it gives? I'm thinking it is not worth it as the car is only worth 17k and it works fine atm without it....thx for the heads up. on another note a co-worker just told me that non-amber corner lights will not pass NYS inspection?? sounds like bull 2 me does any on know? The DMV website is useless.....

#27 ·
When you placed the order for the corner lights and selected the $6.00 chrome/amber bulbs, you'll have the same bulbs that I do. Your friend is right, in NYS, the turn signal has to glow amber. The bulbs you bought will appear silver until the light comes on. Then it will be amber. It'll pass inspection just fine.

#31 ·
Thanks for the clarification, I am a little concerned with my lens/angel eye purchase. the website says "Sorry no facelift coupes because those are factory sealed headlights"
Now I know mine is not a coupe but seems odd that some are sealed and other are not...well we will see when they get here I guess:hmm:

I will be holding off on the backing plate until I need to replace something else. I will continue my weekly wash and give it extra attention. Thanks for all the help guys:thumbup:

#32 ·
ive got the same wheels as you (17" style 119).. i htink they look super good rolling

#34 · (Edited)
Below is my communication to Khoalty customer service...what going to be sent to me now that I selected "no thanks" to the Current Bulb Type on the corner lights, ( I ordered before they responded)
should I stop my order until i find out what my current bulbs are in the corner lights?

You would need to pull your corner out and check what you have. The corner lights reuses your connectors from your car.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:43:25 -0400, you wrote:

one last question before i submit my order when selecting options for E46 Sedan Corner Lights For BMW E46 (99-06 3 Series) by DEPO. it ask about current bulb type...how can I find that out.

#35 ·
facelift sedan, front turn signals are 7507. pins at 150degree angle i believe. The rear taillights are 7506

#37 ·
ok its all done!

My new lens, clear corners/side markers, and angel eyes are installed! thx for all your help guys!:thumbsup:Once the rain stops I will take some pics...I am pretty sure i have figured out my vibration issue...i am 90% sure I will need axle replacement in the future. The last indy shop did not notice it as the problem is not bad yet and comes and goes. I had them check the cv boots and they said it was fine. My mirror is now fixed after taking it to be fixed twice...the first time the dumbass put it together wrong so I had him re do it. Now I have a new guy (who did my headlights great but does not do warrantee work) so any one know a good indy shop within 25 miles of Buffalo NY?

#38 ·
OP, see my attached pic... there's only room in this town for one of us.

jk, I had to replace my front axles too around 140k, gotta love the vibration under acceleration.

As far as shops go, I have been taking mine to Athol Motor Car in South Buffalo (184 Reading St. Buffalo) since I bought my car in 2008. They do a pretty good job, I was sent there by a friend. Part of the reason I go is that I can walk there from my house. PM me if you have any other questions, I have had so much stuff replaced on my car it's not even funny. Chances are I've already had whatever problem you're going to have.

My new lens, clear corners/side markers, and angel eyes are installed! thx for all your help guys!:thumbsup:Once the rain stops I will take some pics...I am pretty sure i have figured out my vibration issue...i am 90% sure I will need axle replacement in the future. The last indy shop did not notice it as the problem is not bad yet and comes and goes. I had them check the cv boots and they said it was fine. My mirror is now fixed after taking it to be fixed twice...the first time the dumbass put it together wrong so I had him re do it. Now I have a new guy (who did my headlights great but does not do warrantee work) so any one know a good indy shop within 25 miles of Buffalo NY?

Attachments

#40 ·
Great minds think alike I guess. I really didn't like the stock grille since on the xi's the chrome lip on the grille ends up being the only chrome on the car. Just looked a little weird to me. I've seen a lot of other cars with chrome window trim to match the grille so it looks more balanced.

As far as their insurance preferences, you'd have to ask them I guess. Jeff is the main guy who basically runs the customer-facing side of things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.