E46 Fanatics Forum banner

headers

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  alpinewhiteon18s 
#1 ·
I know nothing at all about headers. my mechanical abilities are limited to changing a cd in a cd player and thats about it.

Ive been doing some reasearch and i believe headers will make your exhaust some more beefy? I just have a stock exhaust on my 02 325i. It sounds ok for stock but i want a little more beefy sound to it. So will headers do that for me?

i have a buddy who is a mechanic and will install anything i have for free. Does anyone know of a good site that sells headers for decent price that will give me that sound i want? A link would be awesome! i know i can just GOOGLE it.. but i honnestly have no clue between one header and the other. What sound they give and wether they fit or not. Just looking for some opinions on what to get.

#4 ·
If you just want sound do a muffler delete or delete your resonators and match it with a beefy muffler..if you do headers you will throw a code unless you get a tune and even then it'll be "not ready" when you go in for inspection.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

#5 ·
I just installed my headers from BimmerBrakes a couple weeks ago. It was a huge pain in the ass to do as most people will tell you. You do get a 'slightly' throatier sound, but I agree with the above posts that if you are just looking for a more substantial sound then get an exhaust. As mentioned, aftermarket headers remove your catalytic converters and will make your car emissions illegal and it will throw a code and give you a 'service engine soon' light so that is something to consider if you live somewhere with emissions testing.

#7 ·
thanks for all the advice, im going to look into exhaust now. Anyone know a simple one(for my mechanic(friend) to install) thats decently cheap and will give a nice good beefy sound but nothing so loud and over the top that you can hear from 10 blocks away.

#8 ·
Fitment was perfect, just had to loosen the exhaust a little to move it a bit closer to connect to the headers but I've got no leaks. Just make sure you use brand new OEM gaskets and have lots of extensions and swivels for your ratchets. And don't jack up your engine so high that you rip your driver's side motor mount like me :(

#9 · (Edited)
headers will give you a little bit throatier sound but also the stock headers are extremely restrictive in our cars, i've read anywhere from 10-15 whp gains, i live in SC so emissions is not a problem for me but if you live in a state with emission tests you won't pass with headers. Also alot of people are running ebay headers because they are replicas and are only like $100 shipped from Eb stores. As for exhaust that is all a personal preference but i really like the rogue IKON with some headers, sounds really aggressive :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XScZaX-weYw&feature=player_embedded

this is a great write up on ebay headers if you are still interested:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=571990&highlight=headers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.