E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Best Rear Lower Control Arms for under $200?

4K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  Pete_repete 
#1 ·
As the title says. What is the best rear lower control arm for under $200? Why? How long have you had it? Noisy? Quiet? Where did you buy from? How does the adjustable part work? I want stock camber. With these arms, does the camber fall out of alignment easily?

#8 ·
Hmm interesting. Thanks. And yes, MangoMax, I don't want them to stick out, but I want them to be like a nice pair of socks that become visible when the suit leg rises up when I sit down. And I guess it is just a control arm. Maybe stock would the safest. Seems like these things aren't too durable

#9 ·
They are plenty durable. They're both strong AND weak where they need to be. Guess what happens to your solid aftermarket control arm when you strike a curb...

Nothing. That's the problem.

As far as stiffening the stock arm for track purposes, there's reinforcement kits you can weld on. basically consists of a few sheets of metal you weld on. bracing.

Seems like you just want to buy it for the sake of having it. Totally unnecessary and the stock arms are 100x better IMO than any aftermarket junk.

#11 ·
They are plenty durable. They're both strong AND weak where they need to be. Guess what happens to your solid aftermarket control arm when you strike a curb...

Nothing. That's the problem.

As far as stiffening the stock arm for track purposes, there's reinforcement kits you can weld on. basically consists of a few sheets of metal you weld on. bracing.

Seems like you just want to buy it for the sake of having it. Totally unnecessary and the stock arms are 100x better IMO than any aftermarket junk.
That's an odd claim to make. Stock arms are fine for stock purposes, but once you require the need for adjustment the stock arms use becomes limited. The arm isn't stiffened for track purposes as the arm isn't a high stress item. The flimsy stock arms are a testament to that.

#22 ·
Is that how you and everyone look at your car? I can stand next to mine and walk around and never see them. It is no surprise they can be seen when you are under the car....because they are under the car.

What exactly do you mean when you say the AKG arms seized? Which model did you have? I was looking at these recently, so I am interested in exactly what went wrong with them, and the particular model you had. Thanks!
I could not longer adjust the camber. It was mostly because of the **** on the roads during winter. They are great arms. I would say get them if that is what you want.

But beware having those arms may cause your car to explode killing everyone in a half mile radius. :shhh: j/k

#25 ·
I'm glad this sparked a discussion. For me, I ride at stock height and with stock camber. So I guess OEM is for me. But for other guys, these looks great. Especially the $400 UUC ones that look indestructable. But like badfast said, here in Pittsburgh, shitty roads are predominant. Last thing I want to do is mess up my daily driver over a bad choice. It might not even be, but I'd rather not take the chance and have to worry. If I go OEM, then I'll replace it and be done with it. $88 sure beats $200 too.

#31 ·
OP already bought stock arms. They're light and effective. Although if I was going to do any aftermarket arm, I'd go with a reputable motorsports vendor such as TMS as opposed to godspeed racing or whatever they offer in bright red.

My rear camber is plenty negative with factory arms and haven't noticed any problem with deflection under load. I suppose the plates TMS offers would be the quickest solution and would be a cake walk for any competent welder

#32 ·
Yes sir. I was checking those plates out at well. I think I might do them, if the roads get too rough around here. But for now, OE Lemforder is the best buy. Reasons mentioned above. Thanks Mango, and to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.