E46 Fanatics Forum banner

how do you guys feel about..

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Bimmerboi325i 
#1 ·
#2 ·
"Optimal beam pattern, More light on the road, precisely positioned to benefit driver and minimizing glare for oncoming traffic" <--- They don't explain [and the pictures don't shine any light on how] how they acheive this with the setup.

Other then that, it is from a known brand...I say give it a try as long as the setup can be legit and not blind all oncoming traffic.

#4 ·
Philips is a very reputable brand, and the kit you provided a link for is likely excellent quality, but you need to address the fact that your headlights are not designed for HID's. This means that no matter what HID retrofit kit you get, you will have a terrible beam pattern and beam cutoff. The optics in a HID projector are what provide you with good or bad lighting performance. The quality of the HID retrofit kit is not as crucial.

#8 · (Edited)
You can but the light output and pattern will likely be worse than it is now, not to mention that it will increase glare for other drivers. In my opinion, it is miles better than these idiots I see that have installed a HID kit in reflector housings, but it still is not technically the "correct" way to do it. It relly depends on what your goals are. If you are looking for increased light output, I would just get some halogen infrared H11 bulbs (they require a tiny tab to be filed down to fit in the 9006 housings). They are bright as hell and you will retain the beam pattern you have currently.

http://hirheadlights.com/ This may not be the cheapest place to get them, but I think it has a tutorial on the little mod you must do to put them in a 9006 housing.

#11 ·
The thing with 6000k halogen bulbs is that the color temp is achieved by either blue tinted glass or a colored coating, both of which decrease the amount of light that can pass through the bulb casing. The HIR bulbs are higher output then 9006s, but a tinted one would likely be worse than stock. Those bulbs are going to be a brighter white than your current bulbs; they are closer to the color temp of oem HIDs (4300K)

#10 ·
I highly doubt that the kit from ebay is actually made by Philips. 1 (ONE) d2s REAL PHILIPS bulb normally costs ~70 bucks. It's not that hard to design and produce a box+manual for such a simple thing - especially in China (since they make everything). I bet my keyboard that it is the same quality as the 30-40 dollar kits - just a nicer box and few stickers here and there.

My reasoning is simple - I had very similar kit made by "Bosch" - that had nothing to do with real Bosch - again, few stickers here and there + nice box. Thats about it. It lasted me 3 years - then one of the ballasts died. Did not bothered me at all since I paid like 100 bucks for it too - light output was exactly the same as the 'unknown' brand type of kit.

IMHO, if I were you, I would get a slim ballast kit with whatever bulb you want - for the biggest seller on ebay - for an average cost of these kits - like 40/50 bucks....
Why? - you might ask - because I had few of these 'cheapo' kits on many cars and a bike, never had any problems with them - just dont get the cheapest one - add like 5-10 bucks more to the lowest... :)

#14 ·
lol I know its not the original phillips *check original post* The real ones cost about 2-300 bucks...I'm saying the technology is patented by phillips so it will probably not be AS great but better than some other smaller brands...or so I hope lol. I do have projectors..its just not Xenon projectors lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.