E46 Fanatics Forum banner

328ci engine fitment help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  swizzil21 
#1 ·
ive been searching but i cant really find any good info. my motor is done on my 2000 328ci and im looking to buying a replacement motor. does anyone have any info on some of the engines that will directly fit? obviously i can get the same engine which is an option, but i was wondering if there were stronger engines that would fit with out much modification? any and all tips are appreciated.

#4 ·
One tip is to get a second opinion, that is, unless you have a fist sized hole in the side of your block.

If it's only a cracked cylinder head, consider spending $1000 and fixing it, rather than $3-5 replacing entire engine.

I think a lot of shops go right to 'new motor' recommendation because they either are greedy, or don't have the time or know-how to fix the engine...just put a new one it.

So that's my tip! Also, I'm pretty sure you can put any size engine in, but with your TB, if it's cable driven, I think you have to do stuff with programming to get it to 'fit' electronically.

Why is it 'done'? Just curious how it got finished and how it was diagnosed as totaled?

#5 ·
The most reasonable option if you are replacing the engine is M54B30. This will run with your exsiting ECU if you keep the M52TU intake. It has been done, but I don't know if this will result in some power gain. Most likely - there will be no noticeable gain without remapping the ECU. On the other hand, the M54 engines were in production until 2006, which means you can easily find one under 100K, perhaps even under 50K miles.

#6 ·
ive been searching but i cant really find any good info. my motor is done on my 2000 328ci and im looking to buying a replacement motor. does anyone have any info on some of the engines that will directly fit? obviously i can get the same engine which is an option, but i was wondering if there were stronger engines that would fit with out much modification? any and all tips are appreciated.

M52tub28 (328i/ci engine). Period.

M54 has a drive by wire throttle, you have a cable. I can already see that you're not prepared for that swap.

If you're 100% sure you need a new motor, find yourself same one, swap it in a few hours and back on the road.

Easy and fast.

#7 ·
@dmax my coolant keeps leaking into my engine block causing overheating. my ****in girlfriend kept driving my car in the redzone when the expansion tank broke, thus causing the head gasket to blow smh, fml. i would love to just get it fixed instead of replacing. and to the guy who said im not prepared, actually i am prepared bro thats why i posted this thread. but your right direct replacemnt would be lovely.

@Megalocnus so thats a direct bolt on minus/ add a few parts i have to change? thanks bro ima do a little research on it.

ive noticed the 328ci engine is kinda hard to find. smh thanks for all the help guys.

oh yea, next question for you guys? is it true that using the ****in step tronic messes up your tranny in the long run? my friend told me this, i was trying to see the validity of it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.