E46 Fanatics Forum banner

ebay dual core radiator

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  drunknbass 
#1 ·
I just got a dual core radiator replacement from ebay. The 100% aluminum one. I was installing the plastic panel from the oem that the reservoir snaps to, and noticed the oem radiator has a small hole next to the drain that a small valve slips into that runs to the bottom of the reservoir. Is this just a drain to allow the reservoir to be drained out with the radiator? Or does this serve a more important purpose? Im guessing i can block it off with something?

#4 ·
ok the hole in the radiator just fits inside part of the plastic hosing(the piece the reservoir snaps to) and isnt a pressurized outlet. When you open the oem drain plug the radiator drains from this outlet and that plastic routes the coolant away from splashing on your face like a honda would (that drains out the hole the plug screws into)

#7 ·
this is what i got.

http://bit.ly/f9WxAd

it seems the same as every other aluminum radiator. its thicker so the fan doesnt fit (i figured this MIGHT be a problem.) but the reservoir doesnt fit at all. I guess these are all made to fit M3 not other 3 series.

Im wondering what makes the m3 expansion/reservoir different. I cant really find any pics online. Id use an aftermarket fan and m3 tank if i knew itd fit.

#8 ·
The M3 expansion tank sits off to the opposite side of the engine bay near the secondary air pump.

Those aluminum rads often have bigger cores, which makes an electric fan conversion a good idea.

#9 ·
Do you know what is required for a expansion tank retrofit off the m3? it seems id need different coolant lines for the 2 lines that run off the tank to the motor and possibly hose (upper radiator hose?) that doesnt have the small fitting that runs to the expansion tank right next to where it slips onto the radiator outlet.

#11 · (Edited)
these are the 2 coolant lines the run down the drivers side of the engine/chassis
http://c.crap.ps/6Bow

this is the little line that probably runs across the rad to the tank
http://c.crap.ps/6DXQ

i have a feeling the whole coolant setup might be different and these 2 med sized coolant lines are on the pass side of the engine on m3's
if thats the case i cant really put an m3 reservoir on easily.

#18 ·
The heater valve is on the same side, so I think I remember those medium diameter hoses being in the same area.

#13 ·
They're both welded on backwards? Although this seems like a moot point since you can fit your fan or ET into your car, wouldn't it be possible that you've installed it backwards.

BTW, that thin line Cyberkaa mentioned on M3 going from ET to radiator is how the M's ET is connected to the radiator. On ours, the upper hose has that little connection to the ET built into it.

Perhaps you could add a really long hose to connect ET to radiator and just put the ET in your passenger footwell or something? LOL

Sorry!

OP, honestly, I think you should get an OE/OEM radiator. Behr works for many of us just fine, it even has all the connections you need.

My OE radiator just failed about 20K miles ago...at 195K miles. It had an original date stamp on it. MY ET lasted from '01 until about the same time...9 years (first went on PO after 2 years--overfilling by idiot, no doubt).

You'll have a hard time making our systems stronger than they are, OP, and when you do, will still run into unanticipated consequences. Make cooling system bullet proof? Excess pressure will go elsewhere, like maybe head gasket.

Sell your radiator to an M owner, or figure out what car it does fit...sell here in classified and order a behr.

#16 ·
zionville is way too much $. id do a full custom welded overflow/expansion tank for that kinda $.

but no its not installed wrong, look at the 2nd pic. the flange on the outlets have a taper so they seal to the hose. the taper is on the wrong end of the fitting (billet aluminum tig'ed to end tank). You can see the guy weldeding it welded them on backwards and i have read the same thing from others about the Mishimoto having backwards flanges. Seems these all come from the same place in china. Looks like ALL of them have the flange on backwards making you need to cut your hoses and attach with pipe clamps. As much as i hate the stupid BMW plastic connectors and annoying clips, im not going to break down and cut them off over an ebay radiator... Ill do it because my own F-up or spaz out. lol

#19 ·
I got the Behr installed. Pretty nice fitment but noticed the left(drivers side) mounting hole for fastening the radiator in doesnt line up. You can push hard and make the passenger side mounting hole line up and get a screw in, but the left is really off and not close to working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.