E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46 M3 LSX Project

39K views 90 replies 43 participants last post by  02PRUV 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I said I would do it one day and that day was yesterday. Got the S54 removed, the LS engine and box in and the gearbox crossmember already made. Already worked out that single turbo on the left side of the engine bay is the go for me (I have steering on the right), J Pipe coming round the front of the engine and found a spot for a 4" dump pipe. So it's all going to work well.

This is what we are looking at for an engine:

427ci 9.0:1
RHS Alloy Race Block
Lunati crankshaft 4.000 stroke
Oliver billet rods
Diamond custom pistons
Total Seal AP steel ring set
Comp hyd. roller cam / lifters / timing set
RHS Pro Elite CNC 12 deg. heads
Moroso oil pan / pickup
Cometic MLS head gaskets
FAST 102 intake manifold
Borg Warner S510 Turbo

It's going to be insane in an M3.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've done the S54 thing and they just aren't designed to hold big power. Your just fighting an up hill battle. As well as turbos just don't fit on a RHD car nicely.

Anyway as well as that an alloy LS is lighter than the S54 and sits lots lower and further back in the engine bay. So it has everything going for it in this car.

#4 ·
So badass!! Can't wait to see it scream!! GL mate!

#5 ·
You were held back due to be RHD, my s54 is currently producing 1000whp and 850 wtrq on a mustang dyno, that's with the hpf exhaust mani I can't wait to see the results with the new FSR tubular manifold, but this is your thread ill leave that to mine once the time comes very soon, I'm not saying this swap isn't awesome but purists like me will never swap a non bmw motor into a bmw

#6 ·
Yeah mate. You can't get big turbos to fit due to the steering column being in the way on a RHD.

I get what you mean about purist though. And that I'm not. I have no dedication to any car brand. Just a dedication to performance. So I'll cut and swap anything and everything to get better performance.

#7 ·
Haha I like the way you think, I've followed your previous build and thoroughly read most of you posts, you and PEI seem to spread the most knowledge in the FI section :D can't wait to see the results on this swap, are you planning to drag the car or? Is the car going to be 6spd?

#8 ·
Yeah definately still a 6 speed. Using a T56 gearbox. Still want to be able to punt it round a circuit;)

#9 ·
Allan,

You have chosen the path which I was dreaming of. very clever Project. I was pondering about a 427 cid turbo Project on E46 M3 just 4 days ago.

Talked to my rod manufacturer carriillo last week and he reported supra engines, 3.0Litres, boosting 60 psi, revvig 10.500 rpm, in USA and Puerto Rico.

So a tiny 3000 cc engine is making 2500 flywheel hp and running low 6 seconds.

The S54 will hold power. You know my S54 made 997 whp on Dynamics 4 years ago.

S54 will make and hold under power but it will cost a lot. Big budget R&D is needed.

I ve been into S50 B32 and S54 deeply and will stick to my tiny engines:) I mean I spent 18 years on S50 B32 so far:)

A bigger engine, 7000 cc such as yours, will make the same power under less stress. Will be more reliable.

V8 will have loads of torque.

I am in love with what you do.

I would put this engine into your ultima and be the king of the roadss:=

Allan, will follow this thread each day, very clever Project mate.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks Mert. Yeah the S54 is capable but the budget, time and lack of reliablity has put me off smaller engines these days. My ute runs a little 383ci LSX that was less than $10000 and makes over 1000rwhp and I drive it daily. The reliablity is great.

This project will be fun and will perform. So I look forward to it coming together.

#22 ·
Engine mounts are complete ready for paint and ABS module has been removed for relocation and the metal work around it cut away.

Next week will be starting to make the exhaust manifolds and get the turbo in location.

#23 ·
Ordered the engine last night. SO they will be starting to make it up. Also ordered the turbo today. Went for a GTX5533 with a 1.12A/R rear. Should be good for around the 1300-1400rwhp

#37 ·
Well looks like the turbo setup is a bust on this. Just not enough room to fit them in the engine bay and get a decent dump pipe off them. I had a look under the car around the gearbox but the T56 gearbox is a lot bigger than the getrag so that's a no go. So considered a rear mount turbo but sat down and had a good think about it and decided to go back to N/A. I figured I will be able to push it harder through corners and have fun with it as the M3's were intended. Go away from boost mid corner.

So still going basically the same engine but bumping the ci's up to 440ci and 11:1 comp.

Anyway the build continues. Most of the wiring is done. Just got alternator, fuel pump and reverse light switch to wire. The tailshaft got done today and I put all the heat shields back in so the exhaust can be done next. After that it's just the a/c, oil cooler and power steer lines to connect and it will be running with an LS1 until the big engine arrives.

#40 · (Edited)
Bit more progress tonight. Cable throttle pedal and cable has now replaced the FBW one. Also started to tidy up the engine bay more and clean some wiring up. Also pulled out the ATI gauge pod and gauges. Don't need those anymore.

#48 ·
Another Aussie achievement ;) 1" 7/8 4 into 1 headers and twin 3 inch exhaust with x pipe and twin varex mufflers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.