E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Will removing the rear deck speakers allow more bass to enter the cabin?

13K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Grande D 
#1 ·
Has anyone done this? Is it worth losing those 2 for better sub bass?

#5 ·
If you already have the ski pass knocked out I don't think that removing the rear deck speakers is going to help. On my old E46, I removed the rear speakers before I knew about the ski pass. Then I removed the ski pass and I couldn't notice a difference. Then I replaced the rear speakers and still didn't notice a difference. I didn't even notice the difference that the rear speakers made once I re-installed them.

#12 ·
I have no issues with bass in my coupe withs eats upright, when folded down the bass is too much in the cabin!
Might be an issue with how much power/setup you running?

i am running 1 x 12" digital design 9512e off a monoblock 1000wrms @ 1 ohm

front stage is handled by hertz 6.5 components in doors and 6.5 co-ax in rear shelf

#13 · (Edited)
When you guys talk about poping out the ski pass, does it matter if the rear seat is a split type, I mean what happens if I pop the ski pass (metal part) but my rear seats are not splitted or have a center fold arm rest? Is it worth doing never the less?

#15 ·
Yes tha bass is much better but if you have the stock HU you will notice the mids are much lower. The bass is sweet if you take out the rears speakers. I tried but wind up putting them back and since I coundnt find a rear non fold down seat with an armrest I had to make a port right throu my rear seat and It sounds great.

Attachments

#16 ·
It looks like a clean install. But I still stand behind my last post. Ghetto fabulous. There is no replacement for displacement and power. If you are not satified with a single or pair of good quality subs and good quality amp with somewhere close to 1000 watts. Then go buy a hatchback and fill the hatch with subs. My eclipse with the same JL12w6v2 and a JL500/1 was much louder than the same sub and amp in the BMW. I bought the BMW because its a nice car. Not to go cutting virtually useless ports in the deck and back seat. :loco: Look up read/understand port tuning frequency. I dont know why people make things so hard for themselves.:banghead: Bass, genreally speaking is really easy make. I believe that 1000 watts is more than enough than anyone will ever need. But if you have good quality stuff and still want more out of your system and you have already covered all of the bases your last resort is optimizing your system's response to your vehicles transfer function. woo... thats alot.. For anyone needing info holla at me. Sorry for the rant but I cant imagine someone going into a car stereo shop and saying "Hi I want more bass in my car" and someone saying " Dude!!! We can cut ports in you back seat and rear deck!" The last thing I want is to take my friends somewhere in my car and someone say. "Hey, thats a odd place to put a cup holder"

#17 · (Edited)
lol. Hey you have to do what you have to do with the money you have to play with. I spent all my money on the JL12w7 and the PDX1000.1 and I looked for the armrest rear skiport seat but no luck so I did a quick fit and the bass sounds Loud, Crisp and Clean. And when I do hang with someone its a woman in the front seat and they always say it sounds really good. AND THATS WHAT REALLY MATTERS. lololololol. I made the port because if anything its easy to replace a rear bench. You cant undo cutting on the rear deck.

#20 ·
I disagree. If it was sealed that good then hardly any bass would get through. But with your assumption.. Then the best way to get and quality bass would be to put the subs in the rear deck.. look up port tuning frequency to see why. But my rear deck moves quite a bit when I turn it up. :str8pimpi

#22 ·
So in other words, your rear deck speakers are out and you have speakers in the rear doors. Correct? Pardon my ignorance but I hadn't heard of speakers in the rear doors, is that part of a HK upgrade option?

#23 ·
I am considering porting the rear deck but keeping my rear speakers, where can I find out tuning info to make sure I'm getting the most from the ports?

#27 ·
So, is it practicable to install a 8" or 10" sub in the package shelf? It is doable, but is it worthwhile? :craig:
You can find stealthbox enclosures used- and do two 8" subwoofers without needing to cut anything.

^His install looks great but it's a bunch of work, and cutting into your car is never a pleasant feeling no matter how good the end result (ask me how I know).

#26 ·
Another option is to build a box to fire the sub at the opposite side of the trunk like passenger to driver side. There was a guy that did some pretty good tests with sub location in e46s with a decibel meter and determined that firing across the trunk gives the best response in the cabin. I'm running a single type r 8 with a 500w mono block and have plenty of bass in the cabin.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.