E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Mannen

My Ride: '02 330ci m-sport
02 330 engine problem (wouldn't start, now doesn't run)

Hi, this is my first post here I bought a 2002 330ci m-sport a couple months ago (first car), and so far i love it.

It ran quiet and smooth in every way until last night. Last night the red battery light came on for a couple seconds while i revved it, then it went out. A minute later it came on again, and stayed on for 10 minutes before going out again. My dad and i measured the battery voltage this morning and it's fine (11,6V). The generator seems to be working as well. All of a sudden while we were measuring the battery with the engine on, off, revving etc, it wouldn't start. The starter motor clicks, but it doesn't turn the engine. All lights in the car flashes as the starter motor clicks. Battery voltage was still plenty. We push-started the car and it ran fine. Warning lights for handbrake, DSC, red oil light stayed on. We push-started it again, and i went for a short drive to see if the lights went out (they didn't). After a minute, the engine started to run like crap (jerky, like the igntion and injectors were working half-time). Applying throttle had less and less effect, and after barely a minute the engine shut down.

So thats where we are at right now
I don't have much experience with cars, and have basically no bmw specific knowledge. I am asking for help here because i know it can get very expensive if i tell the mechanics ''it started to jerk and the stopped'', rather than telling them what the problem usually or probably is. Or maybe if i'm lucky it's something i can fix myself. Any help, theories and advice is very appreciated!
Mannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Siddy1200

My Ride: E46
11.6V is not fine.

You can jump start it by using the hookup points in the engine bay, a red plastic cap opens to give you your positive terminal and connect your negative lead to the steel hook on the head or somewhere else solid on the motor.

You can change the battery in these cars without having to worry about needing a code for the cd player

Last edited by Siddy1200; 07-01-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Siddy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
You have a bad battery, a bad alternator or a bad engine to body ground or a combination of any of the above.

A fully charged battery should read 12.6 Volts, just because a battery reads 12.6 Volts does not mean it is good, it just means it is charged. A battery test needs to be performed to verify if the battery is actually good. A poor mans battery test is start with a fully charged battery, turn the headlights on in the vehicle with the engine off, after 2 minutes, the battery should be at 12.2 Volts or higher, if so the battery is at least in pretty good condition.

A battery below 12.0 Volts is effectively 100% depleted of power it is capable of supplying.

A proper charging system should provide 13.5-14.5 Volts to the battery while the engine is running with accessories on.

I had a bad battery, it had a bad cell, it caused all sorts of havoc with the E46, lights on for ABS, Traction Control, Brakes. The dash lit up like a Christmas Tree. Thought the alternator was also a problem, but a the end of the day, just the original battery was bad in under 4 years.

I do not personally trust any battery that is over 4 years old. Some may last far longer, but after 4 years, I get nervous and constantly test the battery 3-4 times a year.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 07-01-2016 at 10:52 AM.
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
Mannen

Thanks for taking your time to answer! I spoke to my moms husband who's been driving bmw for decades, and he is 100% sure it's the battery as well. I thought as long as you had enough battery to crank the engine, it should be enough. The guy i bought it from said he put a new battery in not too long ago, but i'll replace the battery and come back

Last edited by Mannen; 07-01-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
If the battery was really replaced, it may actually be fine. The problem is when the battery is not fully charged or actually bad, the cranking Voltage drops too low when starting the engine and the modules have a problem communicating with each other. The DME shuts down the multiple spark triggering routine and then errors pop up and the engine may not run properly.

For example the FSU or blower resistor could be bad and draining the battery causing these problems. Get the battery charged and tested as I assume a battery is not cheap in your area of the world, like most car parts. If you have VAT this is a big hit along with a recycle fee!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Mannen

I replaced the battery and everything worked, it did recieve some charging at one point. But today while out testing the warning lights came on and it eventually died just like before. So i guess it's either the generator or the charging relay. I tried measuring the generator on the nut where the thick red cable is attched to the back of it (i assumed it's the + cable), but i got nothing. So the next move is to get a new generator? Or could it still be the relay? I am at least very happy that it's simply a charging problem. I would NEVER have guessed that all the warning lights and the engine jerking and dying was simply because of low voltage.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #7
OnTheFence

My Ride: 2001 330i (and 530i)
Yea, alternator is bad. Do you have a multimeter? While running, you should measure 14V at battery. I bet yours will be basic 12V from battery itself.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
Mannen

It drops almost 1V while idling. I'm just about to remove the regulator to see exactly what it looks like, so i can order/buy a new one.

Thanks//Mannen
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #9
Mannen

I replaced the regulator with a new one, including new carbon pins(?). It has idled for 15 minutes now, and i have 12,66V on the battery, and 13,5 while idling! . It was the carbon pins that were very worn out. Thank you everyone for the advice! If i hadn't bought a new battery, it would have cost only about 60$ and an hour of work.

Tags
2002, 330, engine problem, starter motor, won't start