The Definitive EASY OBD USB THREAD E46/E36/E39+ - Complete Walkthrough 2017 edition - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2016, 04:10 PM   #21
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
There were other listings at $15.00 and reading description only mentioned drivers. This listing showed a software package. We'll see at least I have the cable. What do other members do to get the proper software

Sent from my E46Fanatics mobile app
I saw no software package in that listing, only a CD/DVD and a mention of drivers. Did I miss something?

Also, you'll likely need to solder pins 7 and 8 together on the circuit board inside the OBD connector. Our cars need them connected while newer cars need them not connected.

Find a post by BMW-North; his signature has download links.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 12-27-2016 at 04:11 PM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #22
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
I'll check pins 7 and 8 with an ohm meter when it arrives.

Sent from my E46Fanatics mobile app

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #23
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I saw no software package in that listing, only a CD/DVD and a mention of drivers. Did I miss something?

Also, you'll likely need to solder pins 7 and 8 together on the circuit board inside the OBD connector. Our cars need them connected while newer cars need them not connected.

Maybe BMW-North will jump in here but the links on his how to are dead. Any other sources?

Download & install the required BMW-diagnostic software (only INPA/EDIABAS & EasyDIS are needed in most cases, both kindly re-imaged by Quick99Si for your convenience)
1st INPA / EDIABAS package (i.e., INPA 4.4.7, EDIABAS 6.4.3, NCSExpert 3.0.8, NCSPlant 3.0.5, NFS 4.2, WINKFP 4.2.3, ToolSet32 3.2.4, & WINELDI 2.6.1)
Download: http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/b...6.4.3-full.rar
How-To: http://quick99si3.home.comcast.net/b...LISH_SETUP.pdf (1MB)
Notes: This version seems to be preferred over the optional 2010 v5.0.2 update.
Set up version 6.4.3 to make sure everything works.
Using WinRAR, point to the first RAR file & extract to create a folder called "INPA-6.4.3-full" containing the 347,183KB image "ediabas-6.4.3-full.nrg".
Then mount that "ediabas-6.4.3-full.nrg" image file using the "Add Image" button in Daemon Tools Lite.
It will mount, by default, as X:\NEU containing the folder X:\NEU\Referenz
You will need to run the installation program X:\Referenz\INSTALL\Instprog.exe
Follow the steps in the PDF file referenced above, but select the "BMW Group Rectification Programs USA" option instead of "UK" on page 5.
On the same page, you can select the option to install NCS Expert and WINKFP in addition to INPA and EDIABAS (it's not required now, but it's useful for later).
That INPA package contains INPA 4.4.7, the EDIABAS 6.4.3 API (which is required for most of the tools), NCSExpert 3.0.8, WinELDI 2.6.1, NCS plant 3.0.5, NFS 4.2, WinKFP 4.2, & ToolSet32 3.2.4 according to this reference.
WINKFP can program, i.e., it can update software on a module to a newer release (if you already have that newer release file available)
INPA is much easier to install than EasyDIS and will read module data, read & clear DTCs & perform car module function checks.
INPA will read DTCs, clear DTCs and activate functions, e.g. turn on a warning light, or move the Xenon headlight aiming up & down in order to test functionality.
While INPA is good for diagnostics, it will not do coding.
INPA is easy to install. The install package simply copies files into the following four 8+3-named Windows directories C:\{EDIABAS,INPA,NCSEXPER,NFS}
One then has to modify a couple of INI files to specify the adapter cable & you're in business.
Note: Later versions of EDIABAS are known to cause problems with DIS and Progman so INPA v6.4.3 is the recommended version.
ToolSet32 allows you to query detailed option information & is used for adjusting personal settings, key memory, & interrogating modules.
NCS Expert
NCS Expert is included in the INPA package listed above.

Last edited by Overboost; 12-27-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #24
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post

So checking your advise on soldering pins 7 and 8, is that pins 7 and 8 of the obdII connector or pins 7 and 8 on the circuit board. There are 16 on the obdII and 10 on the circuit board

*EDIT* Found the answer. On the OBDII pins.

Last edited by Overboost; 12-30-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:19 PM   #25
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Quote:
Maybe BMW-North will jump in here but the links on his how to are dead. Any other sources?

[.[/I]
Did you mean these links? I believe they are working - if not PM me.

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools with Special Tests for e46 :
Single NRG file: Complete BMW Standard Tools Suite

You will need ISO Workshop (free edition - linked) to create the install directory (image) or disk. NRG file: 347,183 Kb

Learn how to use BMW Standard Tools:
Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Edit: just tested links above - OK. BTW - there are many versions of BMW Standard Tools floating about which as a package includes INPA, Wineldi, WinKFP, NCS Expert, Ediabas comm etc of which there are also many revisions - the version I have linked above includes the tool kit labelled Special Tests E46 - it was the only version of INPA that I could find that allowed me to perform the Steering Angle Sensor calibration on a DSC module for an e46 325xi as documented in this thread where I was faced with using DIS or GT1 to get the job done:

e46 Bosch DSC 5.7 replacement and coding ABS Module

Last edited by BMW-North; 12-30-2016 at 05:25 PM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:34 PM   #26
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Quote:
So checking your advise on soldering pins 7 and 8, is that pins 7 and 8 of the obdII connector or pins 7 and 8 on the circuit board. There are 16 on the obdII and 10 on the circuit board

*EDIT* Found the answer. On the OBDII pins.
Right. Pins 7 and 8 on the OBD connector need to be electrically connected. This is usually done by soldering a short wire between their pads on the circuit board where those two pins connect. There are 16 pads along the edge of the circuit board, 8 on each side.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #27
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Did you mean these links? I believe they are working - if not PM me.

Learn how to use BMW Standard Tools:
Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman
Sorry BMW-North, I meant to say the links on Bluebee's "how to" were no longer valid. It has been a mess trying to get it to work on a Windows 8 machine I had laying around. I finally gave up and broke down and bought a Panasonic Toughbook running Win XP and will try again to tackle this once it arrives. I did download your ISO and have it mounted already, I just need to move it over to the Toughbook. Balidawg was indeed correct, pins 7 and 8 on my K Line adapter needed to be bridged. I could get the INPA opening screen to see the battery and ignition dots but everything else was corrupt. I think my biggest mess was the daten files. I dunno...

Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 AM   #28
P_dog89gt

My Ride: 2000 323i 4dr Sedan
BMW-North You mention you prefer INPA over DIS? I'm trying to activate the DSC and precharge to get air out that was introduced when I replaced booster and MC. I have bled and bled and bled the old fashioned way and the brakes really don't grab until the pedal is almost on the floor. 2000 323i with both OBDII and the circular connector in the engine bay....... No sandy lots around and no snow or rain to go full retard to activate the dsc.....
P_dog89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:58 AM   #29
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_dog89gt View Post
BMW-North You mention you prefer INPA over DIS? I'm trying to activate the DSC and precharge to get air out that was introduced when I replaced booster and MC. I have bled and bled and bled the old fashioned way and the brakes really don't grab until the pedal is almost on the floor. 2000 323i with both OBDII and the circular connector in the engine bay....... No sandy lots around and no snow or rain to go full retard to activate the dsc.....
This video covers ABS MK60 bleeding using INPA.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #30
BMW-North

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_dog89gt View Post
Using INPA to bleed the brake system is no real benefit over doing it manually with a motive power bleeder or getting someone to pump the brake pedal while you open and close the nipples. As I said in your other thread I was able to see the bubbles from opening the abs system to swap it out on my daughters car with a regular bleed. Just always ensure the reservoir is topped up after each wheel and start with the farthest away wheel and then the next closest.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:46 PM   #31
P_dog89gt

BMW-North: Man I'm really trying to not be a pain, but "Reality at this house" says there is no way to get air out of the "DSC" and precharge pump on this car without software. I'm thinking you didn't change out the DSC on a 323i. You keep mentioning ABS. I don't have ABS-mk60, I have DSC-mk20. 2000 323i. If I'm jacking up the terminology please correct me. I'm a mustang guy And no matter how long I bleed traditionally at all 4 corners, with a motive bleeder and plenty of fluid, my brakes do not grab until I stand up on them with both feet near the floor. The BMWofAlexandria shop is telling me what I'm reading about air in the "DSC" and/or precharge pump. Now maybe that's just to get me in there with my wallet. I know, I know, I know you gonna come back and say do it the old fashioned way again and software isn't needed.

BaliDawg: Yeah i watched that. My install of INPA has e46 in the older bmw menu.....soon as I get to DSC 5.7 it says it cannot communicate with the module blah blah blah.......
Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 AM   #32
BMW-North

My daughters 325xi used a Bosch dsc 5.7. That was the abs system I bled manually after swapping and coding the new unit to the car. Like I said in the write up I actually saw the little bubbles from the dsc unit being open and reconnected in
each line when I bled at the wheels . You might have other issues in the brake system Perhaps the booster diaphragm is leaking. Do you hear any hissing when you brake? Maybe one of the hydraulic connections isn't sealing?

When you are bleeding them at the nipple and the fluid is running clear with no bubbles - as soon as you close that nipple the brake pedal should be rock hard. Gets progressively harder with each line. I bled brakes for years using one of my kids to work the pedal, now I use the motive but just use it to put pressure on the system through the reservoir. I top up the reservoir after each wheel.

Don't know what else to tell you but I know that you don't need to use software to bleed that dsc 5.7 cause my daughters been driving her xi now for probably close to 2 years since I did that job.

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-18-2017 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #33
P_dog89gt

Got it. Seems pretty straight forward and how it's been done for ages. I'm thinking you're right that there is another issue. The booster is a replacement because I had a insanely hard peddle. I replaced booster, vacuum hose to intake and check valve. That required the MC to be emptied and removed obviously. So I "assumed" there was tons of air in the MC and Dsc as well as precharge pump. Gonna just go back and old school it again I guess. Don't know what else to try other than trailer to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 01-19-2017, 12:24 AM   #34
P_dog89gt

Solved. Didn't know I had to use the 16 pin port in the engine bay to access asc\dsc. Cycled it a few times and found a gravel road to go full retard. Came back and bled. Almost there. Will bleed again this weekend without software. Traditional/Pressure (motive)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #35
stahlgrau400

My Ride: '02 M3 & '03 330XIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwithbmw View Post
Images and more software guides coming asap, as soon as this line is removed, I have added all I will to the original thread

I am writing solely from the perspective that you are running a virtual machine of Windows XP inside of another operating system. For the most part everything should apply to you running Windows (x) in a number of hardware environments, virtually simulated or not. If you are actually running a Windows XP laptop, disregard all this VM mumbo-jumbo, also flashing might take more than 25 minutes.

catastefy says his drivers and software will work on Windows XP through 10. Guide will later be updated to verify it runs on Vista, 7, 8, & 10. For now, I will be running Windows XP Volume License inside of VMWare Fusion on OS X 10.11.6 (the most recent OS X version available).

.[/B]

Any updates on this? I'm not very well versed in this stuff and i would like to be able to run everything on windows 7.
stahlgrau400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #36
cwithbmw

My Ride: 2002 330Ci 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvedUpBoston View Post
Any updates on this? I'm not very well versed in this stuff and i would like to be able to run everything on windows 7.
I decided not to update this thread any further with my guides, since the information is available elsewhere, albeit harder to find.
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #37
cwithbmw

My Ride: 2002 330Ci 2009 335i
Does anyone know which tune I should be using for a 2001/12 BMW 325i with a manual transmission? I only see EU tunes for Auto or SMG transmissions.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E4..._control_unit/

Any ideas?
cwithbmw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dme, dme flash, ecu, engine flash, eu2 tune