E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
tlester

My Ride: 2001 330i
Can't get new steering coupler (guibo) back on.

Hi all -

My 330i is up on ramps right now as I'm replacing my steering coupler. The old one is out and the new one is partially on. HOWEVER... as I put it back on the rack side (the "toothed" side), I can only get it half way down and it stops. I can't go any further. The bolts are completely out.

Any tips on getting this thing back in? I can't get enough leverage to force it down. I've lubed it up and no luck.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

-Tom

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
cdemott

My Ride: 330ci
Try opening it up with a screwdriver at the split
cdemott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
tlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdemott View Post
Try opening it up with a screwdriver at the split
I tried that... I guess I can try to go a little more and see what happens. I wish I could get a little more leverage on it.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR zhp coupe
Put the bolt in the opposite side (threaded side) and wedge something in for the bolt to push against.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
tlester

I found this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417082

This step stuck out to me:

14 - Rotate the knuckle 90 degrees so you can see the plastic tab - ensure that it is slotted correctly in the knuckle. Rotate back 90 degrees so you can see into the bolt-hole. Slide the knuckle down so that you can see the hole is aligned properly. I'm not sure why, but I was only able to push the knuckle back down onto the steering box shaft when the whole assembly was rotated back to it's original position. Go figure. Reinstall the bottom bolt - 22NM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Encryption76

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via MSN to Encryption76
I have been procrastinating on this job. Have a new one to go into my ride so good info here.
Encryption76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Can't get new steering coupler (guibo) back on.

I almost tried installing mine with the car on the ground then at the last minute I decided to throw it on a lift. I'm so glad I did because you have to really get some good leverage on it to get it into place. Just keep trying OP and you will get it. Try some different positions until you can get a good hold on it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
tlester

OMGosh! What a pain. I still don't have it in. I couldn't get the rack side in, so I took it off tried to spread the gap a bit more and still no go. So, I tried to start with the rack side first. I finally got the rack side in, and got the steering column side started, but now I can't get the column side in far enough to get to the groove where the bolt can pass through and thread on the other side.

It's always the jobs that seem the easiest that end up screwing you over. Any advice is appreciated.

-Tom
Old 11-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
I had to turn my coupler by one spline when compared to the spline the original one was on. It ended up giving me a bad steering angle, but I fixed that with a toe alignment.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
tlester

The problem now is... If I give up, I can't really drive it to the shop. I'm to that point where I'm so pissed off that I'd gladly pay my mechanic to get it on... but I can just see me driving down the road when my steering column decides to free itself and my drive into a wall or something.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Mine went on really easily. It was coming off that was the hard part. It should just very easily slide on after you clean up the splines.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester View Post
The problem now is... If I give up, I can't really drive it to the shop. I'm to that point where I'm so pissed off that I'd gladly pay my mechanic to get it on... but I can just see me driving down the road when my steering column decides to free itself and my drive into a wall or something.
Do not drive it to the shop. Unlock your steering column and do it that way. You'll just have to get a toe alignment. No big deal.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Mctwist77

My Ride: '99' BMW 323i
Hammer it on...or if you can get it off sand down the part where it goes on, just enough to give you the space to get it on. You gotta get pissed

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Mine went on really easily. It was coming off that was the hard part. It should just very easily slide on after you clean up the splines.
Same, and it even was on a RHD. I don't know about the LHD version, but mine was impossible to install wrong, not even by a spline
Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
tlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwist77 View Post
Hammer it on...or if you can get it off sand down the part where it goes on, just enough to give you the space to get it on. You gotta get pissed

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
If there was enough room for a hammer, I would!
Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
OP are you sure some splines aren't damaged? Inspect them really well. When you hammer out the guibo with a long screw driver I can see that being a possibility. Slim, but it's certainly possible.

Last edited by Zell; 11-25-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
You can do it man. Take a breather, come back to it and finish it off.

Orion V2 - Osram CBI Low - ZKW Clear Lenses - Osram Rallye H7 - Morimoto XB Fog
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Same, and it even was on a RHD. I don't know about the LHD version, but mine was impossible to install wrong, not even by a spline
I think mine was installed one spline off at the factory. When I put it back on one spline over, it slid on easily. The little tab that it fits around was slightly warped, so I think that's what happened.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
tlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
OP are you sure some splines aren't damaged? Inspect them really well. When you hammer out the guibo with a long screw driver I can see that being a possibility. Slim, but it's certainly possible.
The splines are ok, because right now, I have it on the splines. I first tried it like everyone else does it. I.e. put the column side on first, then push the coupler up over the splines and down onto the rack. But, when I did that, I could never get it past the first set of splines. Almost... I could get the holes to line up about half way, but not all the way.

So, I tried putting the spline side on first. I got it on and bolted in. Now, the column side is in, but not all the way in, so I can't pass the bolt through. And there's nothing to grab the column with to pull it into the coupler.

So... I guess I'm going to try it the first way again and see if I can get it down. Unless I hear any other good suggestions.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
WDE46

Are you even listening to what I'm saying? Unlock the column. Put the coupler on the column (no bolt), then put it on the rack.

Tags
330, coupler, e46, steering