2002 BMW 330i Build Thread ---> S54 Swap - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 07-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #41
alp330ine

My Ride: 2001 S54 Sedan 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstallion93 View Post
Awesome job man! It's good to see some people still building E46's in NC. You know if you had some spare time i'd love to loan you my 330 to do a swap like that again!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Thanks man!

Sorry for the lack of updates, been extremely busy with the shop and school related stuff. Since I am going to NC State in the fall, i've been looking for shops and have been rushing to get all of my stuff situated for the move. I am officially moving out of my shop today and hope to find a shop up in Raleigh soon.

So for the car, not much else has been done besides me driving it. I have put on close to 7k miles on it and have not even been driving it that much.

I pretty much reassembled the car and have bought coilovers for it but probably won't be getting around to installing them until I am up in Raleigh. I also made a video for the Copart contest and was selected as a finalist.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could vote for the video!
Cast your vote here:
Video Title: E46 M3 Sedan

I have big plans for the s54, but won't be able to do much until after I am in Raleigh.

Thanks for your vote!
alp330ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #42
Justinz

My Ride: N54
Sub'd and Voted!
Old 07-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #43
Gatriel

My Ride: IS 250
Good stuff dude.

I would recommend things I would do to your various cars, but you seem to be more than able to handle it.

One thing I would recommend to you from a business perspective -- LOGISTICS!

I am totally jealous of your shop, and will almost be willing to kill to have something remotely similar to it, but a couple things to get you going in the right direction.

The various parts on those cars that are left, can and will be worth $$$. However, in order to be profitable, you have limited space -- and this coupled with your know how is where your real value lies. I would take all your various parts cars, and strip out non-wearable and otherwise valuable parts. If there is a thought in your mind of "hey -- could I potentially sell this in the future" keep it. Go to Ikea, or Craigslist a ton of shelves, and start indexing your inventories, and putting them on various forums, CL, eBay, etc., etc.,

Also, before you scrap the chassis compare what you would get for them vs scrap metal value. A sawzaw can reap pretty monstrous rewards, especially on parts you would otherwise throw away. For example, the hood off the M3. Chop it up, and take it to a metal recycling place.

Lastly -- clean up your shop. While you might have the technical "know how" to do anything -- I would never let a shop touch my car that is trashed and disorganised. A few days of putting things back together (and I would repaint and flake the floor) will go a long way. I wish I was local, I'd love to help you do this in exchange for time on the lift and parts -- but there are other local guys here for that -- if they have past experience with logistics.

If you want some basic inventory methods let me know, and I can put something together for you.

I think there are a quite a few of us who are living vicariously through you.
Gatriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #44
wildirish317

My Ride: 2005 330Ci vert
Props OP, I admire your energy. I replaced a frame in a Corvette when I was your age; wouldn't even consider it now. Keep up the good work!
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatriel View Post
Good stuff dude.

I would recommend things I would do to your various cars, but you seem to be more than able to handle it.

One thing I would recommend to you from a business perspective -- LOGISTICS!

I am totally jealous of your shop, and will almost be willing to kill to have something remotely similar to it, but a couple things to get you going in the right direction.

The various parts on those cars that are left, can and will be worth $$$. However, in order to be profitable, you have limited space -- and this coupled with your know how is where your real value lies. I would take all your various parts cars, and strip out non-wearable and otherwise valuable parts. If there is a thought in your mind of "hey -- could I potentially sell this in the future" keep it. Go to Ikea, or Craigslist a ton of shelves, and start indexing your inventories, and putting them on various forums, CL, eBay, etc., etc.,

Also, before you scrap the chassis compare what you would get for them vs scrap metal value. A sawzaw can reap pretty monstrous rewards, especially on parts you would otherwise throw away. For example, the hood off the M3. Chop it up, and take it to a metal recycling place.

Lastly -- clean up your shop. While you might have the technical "know how" to do anything -- I would never let a shop touch my car that is trashed and disorganised. A few days of putting things back together (and I would repaint and flake the floor) will go a long way. I wish I was local, I'd love to help you do this in exchange for time on the lift and parts -- but there are other local guys here for that -- if they have past experience with logistics.

If you want some basic inventory methods let me know, and I can put something together for you.

I think there are a quite a few of us who are living vicariously through you.
Wow, thank you very much for all the tips and advice. I have been doing pretty much everything you said for my parts cars, but because of the move I had to liquidate most of my inventory and practically give a lot of stuff away and took most heavy items to scrap yards. I had several shops fall through in Raleigh which I had planned on leasing starting the 14th so that I could just rent a uhaul and transfer everything to the new shop, but that didn't work out.

My current (well ex) shop was in a very poor condition when I got it and I cleaned up quite a bit and since I knew I was not going to be there for long I didn't really do much to it, but I will take your advice for my upcoming shop.

I really appreciate the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirish317 View Post
Props OP, I admire your energy. I replaced a frame in a Corvette when I was your age; wouldn't even consider it now. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the kind words! I learned a lesson very early on in my life that success relies on the work you put in to achieve it which keeps me going day in and day out

I appreciate all of the votes and feedback i've been receiving from the forum. I have a few surprises that I will reveal by the end of this month!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #46
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Voted!

Good luck on your shop shopping!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #47
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Voted!

Good luck on your shop shopping!

Thanks!

The direct link for voting can be found HERE

Thanks for everyones support!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #48
alp330ine

Tomorrows the last day to vote! Any and all support is appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #49
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Voted
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 AM   #50
wertyu78

My Ride: '04 ZHP
Thumbs up from Greenville, SC

Old 07-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #51
Evo Panda

My Ride: E46 328i, MK6 GTi
Damn you made that swap look like it was nothing. Props to you man
Old 09-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #52
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater330i View Post
Voted
I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wertyu78 View Post
Thumbs up from Greenville, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo Panda View Post
Damn you made that swap look like it was nothing. Props to you man
Thank you very much!

Alright time for some updates! I am in Raleigh now, going to NC State. Im taking 20 credits so I stay pretty busy.

I moved into the new shop back in august and it is located in Wendell, NC. The commute is still going strong, as it is about 30-40 min from NCSU. The shop is about 3000sqft and I have about an acre of land. I will post pics after I have it cleaned up and set up the way I want it to be.

The S54 Sedan has been parked for a good reason.

I traded a car to get the car that started everything back! My first car: 2001 Alpine White 330i. I'm very pleased to have it back although, it is not in the best of condition, but that will all change soon!

So the plans for snowflake:

+ Swap S54 and 6 speed transmission
+ Replace all bushings.
+ Fit and paint the CSL Trunk.
+ New front bumper
+ Facelift Hood
+ Retrofit Projectors
+ Led Tails
+ Red Interior
+ New wheels...Not sure which ones yet
+ Coilovers
+ Fix all the scratches and dents
And other things that I can't seem to remember right now.

This is not going to happen overnight, and will take quite a while. I'm not sure when I will start the swap, as I don't want the car to just sit for a long time. I will probably end up doing all of the cosmetics first, and then do mechanical over 2 weeks or when I am not too busy with school.

Will continue to update as I buy parts and what not.

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #53
superstallion93

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alp330ine View Post
I appreciate it!

Thank you very much!

Alright time for some updates! I am in Raleigh now, going to NC State. Im taking 20 credits so I stay pretty busy.

I moved into the new shop back in august and it is located in Wendell, NC. The commute is still going strong, as it is about 30-40 min from NCSU. The shop is about 3000sqft and I have about an acre of land. I will post pics after I have it cleaned up and set up the way I want it to be.

I traded a car to get the car that started everything back! My first car: 2001 Alpine White 330i. I'm very pleased to have it back although, it is not in the best of condition, but that will all change soon!

+ Replace all bushings.
+ New front bumper
+ Facelift Hood
+ Retrofit Projectors
+ Led Tails
+ Red Interior
+ Coilovers

This is not going to happen overnight, and will take quite a while. I'm not sure when I will start the swap, as I don't want the car to just sit for a long time. I will probably end up doing all of the cosmetics first, and then do mechanical over 2 weeks or when I am not too busy with school.

Thanks for looking!
Cool **** man. Glad you found a shop and are ready to build the original e46.
Wendell is not too far from me. When you get the new swap done I would love to see it man.

superstallion93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:40 PM   #54
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
What are you doing with the other swapped car?
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #55
iBeammer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i sedan
^^^^^^
iBeammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #56
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstallion93 View Post
Cool **** man. Glad you found a shop and are ready to build the original e46.
Wendell is not too far from me. When you get the new swap done I would love to see it man.

Appreciate it man! And of course no problem. Do you know of any car meets around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle330 View Post
What are you doing with the other swapped car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeammer View Post
^^^^^^

I am eventually going to part it out once I finish swapping everything I want out of there on to the white one.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #57
superstallion93

My Ride: 01 330ci
Quote:
Appreciate it man! And of course no problem. Do you know of any car meets around here?

I am eventually going to part it out once I finish swapping everything I want out of there on to the white one.
I think Bimmer Performance Center has a little get together every so often. I think another shop does a cars and coffee thing, but I cannot remember what shop it is. I think it's an all euro car thing.
I need to find out myself, I'd like to go to a few!

superstallion93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #58
SeanDizz

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i sedan
Hey man, awesome build. I've been thinking about swapping an s54 into my 01 330i as well but im kind of curious how easy it was in reality. In your thread you make it seem pretty plug and play which is awesome, as for wiring it in was everything pretty plug and play? What all did you use off the M3 just to get the motor and tranny working?
SeanDizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #59
karou254

My Ride: 01 330Ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Sub'd. Nice! Love the entrepreneur mentality.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Damn kid, looks like you know your stuff and have the tools to pull it off. Keep up the good work looking forward to more updates!
+1

Quote:
I appreciate it!

Thank you very much!

+ Replace all bushings.
+ New front bumper
+ Facelift Hood
+ Retrofit Projectors
+ Led Tails
+ Red Interior
+ Coilovers

Thanks for looking!
WoW! You really know your way around your stuff. I just bought my first BMW about 3 weeks ago, 01 330Ci 5MT, learnt to drive manual on it and I am glad I bought it. I am hoping that one day I will get to mod it. I like the entrepreneural mentality as I myself own a small software company. Gotta tell you, being 21, going to school and running a business isn't easy so I definitely hand it to you. Good luck to you on the new project you have cooking. Might even drive down to SC to look at it when its done. Stay focused!
karou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #60
iBeammer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i sedan
Interested in selling the swapped 330i ? The one that you plan to part out?

iBeammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330i, facelift sedan, s54 swap