E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
e46 eats my wallet

My Ride: 2003 e46
New to forum! Experiencing over heating...

I have a 2003 e46. 2 weeks ago my expansion tank got a crack and over heated. I replaced it with an OEM tank and OEM upper radiator hose. I then filled up the tank but little did I know since its my first bmw i had to remove the bleeder screw and turn on my heat then fill up. So my car started heating up. Later i found out i was doing it wrong and corrected my mistake. I drove perfectly fine until i was stopped in traffic and my needle started rising! I thought it was air bubbles so i stopped and let cool down and bled it. The other day i was driving and was in traffic again it started heating a bit. But when I drove it, it went down... Could it be I have a bad thermostat? Or air bubbles still? Cant be the fan clutch since I just replaced it with OEM. Also if i replace the thermostat could I just be good using an after market one that's 45$ or OEM thats 149$ out the door? Please help! Thanks!
e46 eats my wallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
mpvue

My Ride: '04 325xi stick
hey, welcome! you need to do some reading, your situation is by no means unique:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

and buy stuff from FCP Euro, use discount code MangoFCP5
Old 08-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Thermostat=$50 with a lifetime warranty: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...y-11537509227b

Wahler, which I personally prefer, is the same price.

The BMW thermostat, which is the same as the Mahle I linked to, is $85 on that site. The only difference is a BMW logo and a BMW box. Literally.

You have a lot of reading to do: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

You're very likely wasting money and hurting your car until you're read through that whole thread. There's another thread going right now in which the person who started the thread seems to have overheated their car and cracked/warped the head because the car overheated: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1109686

Read the first linked thread for info, the second one for a warning.

I'm personally against the whole cooling system replacement, but I have a coolant temp alarm. If I didn't, I would probably replace the whole thing. And still be worried about overheating. If you want an alarm, you can buy the Ultragauge and set an audible alarm: http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

Last edited by lingon300k; 08-04-2016 at 03:13 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
joegr

My Ride: 2002 325i
Overheating only in traffic sounds more like a failed fan to me...
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegr View Post
Overheating only in traffic sounds more like a failed fan to me...
It seems, from he said, like it's heating up when going slow or when stopped, which sounds more like a failing water pump or an improperly bled system.

If he replaced the fan clutch with an OEM unit, the fan is either mounted onto the water pump and moving, or it isn't. I can't think of much room for error.

The problem here, much like that other thread I linked to, is that his head could already be warped from the overheating.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:06 AM   #6
bobnagga

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Did you put the fan shroud back on? If can't do its job without that in place to prevent it sucking air from around the sides.

Heating up whilst stopped sounds like a fan not working... You move, and air gets forced through the radiator. So you know that part of the system is working.

I'd be looking at the fan.
bobnagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
e46 eats my wallet

I did. And I believe both my fans do work. Could it be possible that my thermostat closes when at a stop? I watched a youtube video on a guy with a very similar problem as mine and switched the thermostat and it fixed everything. Also when it starts to creep up at idle and I rev it a little, the needle starts to go down to normal temperature.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
e46 eats my wallet

Also, I've never let my car heat up to red, but close.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Replace the thermostat and the water pump if you don't know the history. Get the parts from FCP Euro and you're covered for life. I used the Meyle water pump and Wahler thermostat when I did the PM on my car and the pump is still fine but they did have to replace the thermostat due to a soft fail of the heating circuit in it.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #10
e46 eats my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Replace the thermostat and the water pump if you don't know the history. Get the parts from FCP Euro and you're covered for life. I used the Meyle water pump and Wahler thermostat when I did the PM on my car and the pump is still fine but they did have to replace the thermostat due to a soft fail of the heating circuit in it.
Okay thanks!

Tags
2003, 325i, e46, overheating, thermostat