E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #1
Boarum

My Ride: 330i AC Schnitzer
Info about AC Schnitzer?

Good morning to all people who this applies to

I have just purchased a beautiful Bmw 330i with a lot of AC Schnitzer parts fitted and I wondered if this is how the car started its life? Or if it had been 'suped' up by somebody who at some stage has clearly loved the car and thought they would give the old girl some plastic surgery?

To list some of the things that I can see are AC Schnitzer parts;
Front and rear bumper
Side skirts
Wheels
Mirrors
Boot lid
Boot spoiler and top spoiler
Exhaust back box
Carbon fibre dash trim

It also looks lowered, I haven't checked to see if they are standard shocks or springs yet or aftermarket.

I paid 2,300 for this car and I believe it might have been the best money I have ever spent in my life

Other visible mods I can see are HID headlights, K&N cone filter,and decat in middle.

It's done 114,000 miles and not a bit of rust on the thing.. ( bit bubbly on the rear arches , but looks like it has been painted or treated? )

Bit of info about myself as I am a new member,
I am 24 years old from the south west of England , near Cheltenham. I'm a carpenter/joiner by trade but I love getting under bonnet of a car nearly as much as I like driving the things ( I used to own an Alfa Romeo haha )
This is my first BMW and I love it . The power, the handling, the sound and the looks

Thanks, Ben.
Boarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:01 AM   #2
Boarum

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Last edited by Boarum; 09-18-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Most of it seems legit except the front bumper. That looks like a factory bumper.

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
if the parts are all legit then somebody paid some good money for those parts back in the day.
only issue is that AC Schnitzer parts were so expensive back then it's the most pirated of all the tuner parts by china.

also don't believe ACS made a boot lid either.
pedals, shift knob and strut brace were also very common ACS parts
Old 09-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #5
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
if the parts are all legit then somebody paid some good money for those parts back in the day.
only issue is that AC Schnitzer parts were so expensive back then it's the most pirated of all the tuner parts by china.

Thanks for the reply mate Iv done a bit more reading and from what Iv read that confirms everything you have said. At first I was under the impression ACS was a bit like Brabus is to Mercedes, or similar to the Alpinas. I think the car has been looked after mechanicly so I will be booking it in to my friends garage and they will give it a good going over , I'm going to suggest timing chain and water pump etc as a starting point .

Does anyone have any advice on common faults/ or things to look out for? Much appreciated !
Old 09-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
Stavro

My Ride: 323i
That last part of you question about common faults is going to get you roasted. Nice car tho
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1474190751.690943.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	641268
Read those threads they explain most of the maintenance

Stavros Vitsas
Perth Western Australia
Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 AM   #7
JustGav

My Ride: AC30
I have the AC30 and it is a lot very car, use it as a daily without any real issues, snapped belts being the uggh one

Was never an e46 fan until recently, and now I've got 3
JustGav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #8
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post

Alex is right, there are way more pirated ACS parts out there than the real thing, and it's tough to discern between genuine and fake sometimes. Hoping for you they are the real deal. Nice wheels!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #9
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Alex is right, there are way more pirated ACS parts out there than the real thing, and it's tough to discern between genuine and fake sometimes. Hoping for you they are the real deal. Nice wheels!
Thanks man !
Iv had nothing but positive feedback from friends/car entusiasts.
I might have a look for an ACS front splitter to finish it off so to speak. Iv seen a picture taken of the inside of the same wheels ( 17" ACS III ? )that shows a serial number and 'AC Schnitzer' stamping on the spokes , so I might have a look for that , and check the suspension whilst I'm at it .

It does seem to get a little hot under the bonnet , and I can smell what i recognise as hot oil. Temp gauge shows normal temperature, is there anyway of telling if the thermostat is working properly? I'm probably being a bit lazy by not searching the forums but at least I can get it straight from the horses mouth

The wheels are sweet! Could do with a refurb when I get round to it. They have a few kurbys and one is a bit bubbly :/

I would like to focus on maintaince, then tidying up the paintwork a bit, before I even think about making any changes to the car Iv been considering a private plate , or at least getting some fresh plates as they are a bit faded .

Thanks guys !

Last edited by Boarum; 09-18-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #10
Landlorder

My Ride: 330CI Sport
U have no cat? How you going to pass emissions for mot? And has is just had a "fresh mot" put on it?

Last edited by Landlorder; 09-18-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Landlorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlorder View Post
U have no cat? How you going to pass emissions for mot? And has is just had a "fresh mot" put on it?
The guy in the garage told me it has been decatted to make it straight through? .. But a friend said he could see a cat near the manifold? Would this be correct? It has 2 months mot in it still so he said to bring it back in a month and they would mot it, I mentioned would it pass emissions with the decat and he said they would put it through, also a friend said he would put it through mot.

I'm no expert, but I think this would probably void my insurance if I ( touch wood ) had a big smash.. So yes I was a little concerned myself :/

Last edited by Boarum; 09-18-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #12
Boarum

These arnt standard springs are they?
Old 09-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Boarum

And would this suggest the wheels are genuine?

Old 09-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #14
Boarum

And they are 18's, not 17's as it said in the advertisement..

He was also calling the parts 'schnitzels' though soo...

Last edited by Boarum; 09-18-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #15
Boarum

It came with a nice clean engine bay, which saved me a job . Usually when I get a car the first job is to clean the engine bay

Old 09-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #16
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
What's up with the cable ties around the hot air intake and the HID ballasts? That may sound and look nice, but you will be losing power and blinding other drivers. You might want to lubricate the bonnet latches and look at the laquer peel on the bumper and haze on the headlights. Your upper radiator hose looks chaffed near the expansion tank too. The smell might be oil leaking from the rocker (valve) cover gasket.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #17
Boarum

Quote:
Originally Posted by clabcon View Post
What's up with the cable ties around the hot air intake and the HID ballasts? That may sound and look nice, but you will be losing power and blinding other drivers. You might want to lubricate the bonnet latches and look at the laquer peel on the bumper and haze on the headlights. Your upper radiator hose looks chaffed near the expansion tank too. The smell might be oil leaking from the rocker (valve) cover gasket.
Hi there , thanks for the feedback

Today I have wire brushed the rust from the bonnet catch stays, and lubed them up again , so hopefully that will protect them a bit .

I'm not a great fan of the cone filter if I'm honest, if I had it my way I would have gone for a K&N panel filter instead. As for the cable ties,I'm guessing it was either making a rattle , or maybe just to keep it secure, not the most appealing to look at I must admit..

I know the headlights are pointed at floor as much as possible but I will check if its blinding to other drivers when it gets dark.

The laquer peel on the bumper is the only place I can see on the car so I will get that touched up soon, along with a few other little things I hope to get all the little bits sorted as the rest of the car is in pretty good condition for its age.

In the past I have used some fine grit paste to clear some hazy headlights, should sort that out!

And yeah I noticed the chaffed looking pipe and thought that could do with replacing.
I did see on one of the receipts that came with the car that the rocker gasket had been replaced not too long ago, but I will mention when I take it into my friends garage ( very turstworthy family friend )

This car is going to be a work in progress so I think I need to make a bit of a snagging list, and prioritise . I'm no money bags but this car is going to be my little pet . I have a daily driver to use for work ( chucking tools and stuff in ) so might be that it gets taken apart soon
I want to paint the calipers blue also , as at the moment they are a greyish 'worn' colour.

Colour/color, we can all still get along

Thanks again !!

Last edited by Boarum; 09-18-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #18
Boarum

Do you think the intake will be drawing a lot of hot air? I guess it will when it's idling..

I mean, as a rule the air should be as fresh and clean as possible.. I don't like the idea of hot air circulating through the engine :/
.. Shame it didn't come with the standard box.

I admit it does sound nice , Iv used K&N cones in the past on like my first car haha but soon realised it was a cheap gimic, and that If you don't have the right size/air flow it can decrease power and damage the engine.

Advice? Throw it in the bin and look for standard box?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 PM   #19
Boarum

I had a great sense of pride after getting my hands dirty and scrubbing the oil and dirt off my hands today , as like probably most of you, I have a family and have had to sacrifice petrol and mph for mpg and diesel hahaha . But now the little'n has started school and my partner is back into full time work I can finally get back under the bonnet and get a bit of testosterone in my life! ( 4 year old girl.. Lots of pink in my house... )

I look forward to growing my knowledge on the e46 and eventually sharing helpful information.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #20
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Hi there , thanks for the feedback

Today I have wire brushed the rust from the bonnet catch stays, and lubed them up again , so hopefully that will protect them a bit . - Good. Also might be worth inspecting where the metal pin rides the plastic safety catch.

I'm not a great fan of the cone filter if I'm honest, if I had it my way I would have gone for a K&N panel filter instead. As for the cable ties,I'm guessing it was either making a rattle , or maybe just to keep it secure, not the most appealing to look at I must admit.. - Try and replace with an original 330 intake or at the very least fabricate a heatshield.

I know the headlights are pointed at floor as much as possible but I will check if its blinding to other drivers when it gets dark. - If you have halogens without projectors then this is no good.

The laquer peel on the bumper is the only place I can see on the car so I will get that touched up soon, along with a few other little things I hope to get all the little bits sorted as the rest of the car is in pretty good condition for its age.

In the past I have used some fine grit paste to clear some hazy headlights, should sort that out! - As yours is a prefacelift, you can buy new lenses for about 70 each.

And yeah I noticed the chaffed looking pipe and thought that could do with replacing. - The thermostat looks shiny and new, but who knows about the rest of your cooling system, could have some 15 year old plastic parts there.

I did see on one of the receipts that came with the car that the rocker gasket had been replaced not too long ago, but I will mention when I take it into my friends garage ( very turstworthy family friend )

This car is going to be a work in progress so I think I need to make a bit of a snagging list, and prioritise . I'm no money bags but this car is going to be my little pet . I have a daily driver to use for work ( chucking tools and stuff in ) so might be that it gets taken apart soon
I want to paint the calipers blue also , as at the moment they are a greyish 'worn' colour. - Low priority vs. cooling system.

Colour/color, we can all still get along

Thanks again !!
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330i, ac, mods, schnitzer, tuning