E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #21
surveyranger

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarbus View Post
According to your writeup, you relocated the pin from 13 on the Metra harness to the hole for Pin 7 and attached the pink wire to this. What affect does this have on the illumination wire? What does this connection do anyway?

My understanding is thus:

- Match all colors from the head unit to the Metra harness
- Match the red and black wires from the ASWC-1 to the red and black wires from the head unit/harness (3 wires soldered together here)
- Match the pink wire to the wire going into pin 7 on the Metra harness. In your case, you relocated the pin from 13 and soldered the pink to the orange wire (again, 3 wires soldered together here).
- The brown wire is not needed for my head unit, only Kenwood and certain other head units.

Does this all look correct to you?!
Honestly, this was my first radio install. I'm familiar with electronics though. I don't know what the illumination wire is for, but my new radio lights up just fine. It looks like you matched the wires correctly, but don't push everything into the radio slot until you test it out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarbus View Post
Thank you for the great writeup! I've been scouring the internet and this is the best information I've found yet!

EDIT: I'm thinking it would also be possible to splice the pink wire into the BMW OEM harness behind the connector, but I'd really rather not modify any OEM wiring. I've also read that you can buy a second Metra harness and steal a pin instead of relocating one.

EDIT 2: Apparently my head unit doesn't even use the orange wire! So I'll be relocating that one exactly like you did. Again, thanks for the info, this is the only place I've seen mention of that pin not being there and solving my source of confusion.
I'm glad the DIY helped. It's a nice feeling of satisfaction when you can get the job done yourself!
Kenwood KDC-X696
surveyranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #22
macming

My Ride: 05 Mystic Blue ZCP
Thanks for this post! It really helped to simplify my wiring. I'm in the middle of doing a radio install on my 2005 E46 M3 with an Axxess ASWC-1 as my steer wheel control adapter. In my car, I have the blade style pins instead of the round pins. I see you used the illumination wire as your steering control wire. However, on the pink wire of my unit, it says "Prone Mute", which I'm assuming is "Phone Mute" spelt incorrectly.

Do you know if I should use pin 10 (Phone Mute) or pin 14 (illumination) for my install?

Thanks,

Ming
macming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #23
surveyranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by macming View Post
Thanks for this post! It really helped to simplify my wiring. I'm in the middle of doing a radio install on my 2005 E46 M3 with an Axxess ASWC-1 as my steer wheel control adapter. In my car, I have the blade style pins instead of the round pins. I see you used the illumination wire as your steering control wire. However, on the pink wire of my unit, it says "Prone Mute", which I'm assuming is "Phone Mute" spelt incorrectly.

Do you know if I should use pin 10 (Phone Mute) or pin 14 (illumination) for my install?

Thanks,

Ming
I don't know. My harness was pretty simple. I used the Illumination wire because I didn't have any other use for it. So I was able to move it to the slot I wanted to get the other controls to work. If someone else can't help you, then I suggest trial and error. Just don't cram everything back in unless it's working the way you want it to.
Kenwood KDC-X696
Old 09-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
justMK

My Ride: 2004 325i
Red face

Thanks for this write up, I'm stuck on the pin 7 problem and you're the only one that gave a solution. If you don't mind, how exactly do you remove the pin? Do you insert the small screwdriver into the small hole next to the pin and feel around the sides of the hole for something or do you insert it in the same hole as the pin and feel around for something to bend? I haven't been able to figure it out and would appreciate your help!

really annoyed that the aswc-1 wasn't tested better by them and a harness adapter or something provided for our car model, or at least this modification included in the directions with proper techniques. we're left thinking "pin 7? there's nothing there!"

thanks again for any help, was looking forward to completing the entire HU upgrade this labor day weekend.
justMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
surveyranger

removing pin 7

You take it out by sliding a small jeweler's screwdriver from the side where the pin sticks out. The hole has notches above and below it just big enough to slide it in. Then, push a little bit to move the tabs towards the pin. In the picture of the pin (orange wire leading to it), you can see the tabs sticking out. Those need to get pushed in first.
After that's done, the pin should slide out easily. If it doesn't, then the tabs aren't pushed in far enough. Once the pin is out, move the tabs back out and slide it into the back of the connector. You should feel a click when it catches.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justMK View Post
Thanks for this write up, I'm stuck on the pin 7 problem and you're the only one that gave a solution. If you don't mind, how exactly do you remove the pin? Do you insert the small screwdriver into the small hole next to the pin and feel around the sides of the hole for something or do you insert it in the same hole as the pin and feel around for something to bend? I haven't been able to figure it out and would appreciate your help!

really annoyed that the aswc-1 wasn't tested better by them and a harness adapter or something provided for our car model, or at least this modification included in the directions with proper techniques. we're left thinking "pin 7? there's nothing there!"

thanks again for any help, was looking forward to completing the entire HU upgrade this labor day weekend.
Kenwood KDC-X696
Old 09-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #26
justMK

My Ride: 2004 325i
thanks! i ended up buying a pin extractor from the local electronics shop (Jonard R-5926 Pin Extractor) and it took it right out. Thanks for pointing us in the right direction about moving that pin, you saved a lot of people who find this thread from google like i did a lot grief i'm sure!
justMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #27
clfhngr

My Ride: 2002 325IX, 2002tii
Hi,
Trying to install Kenwood KDC-BT562U with the ASWC-1 adapter in my sons "new' car. Had OEM Business radio that worked. Followed instructions from Crutchfield for install, but would not recognize radio and although it powers up, there is no sound from radio? Not sure where I went wrong. Total novice at this...

I just used the OEM harness black chassis ground (3 wire splice) for ASWC-1 because I didn't see any good metal to bolt to. I found this thread in desperation! Not sure I understand about changing the harness adapter for the pink wire to pin 7. In addition to connecting the pink from ASWC to the brown (labeled mute) on the connector to radio, do I splice in a third wire to go to pin 7? My harness adapter does look like the one in photo, but not sure how it should look after moving pin. I am hoping that since this is the mute wire, that a combination of fixing this, and better ground will help.

Suggestions? thanks
clfhngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #28
surveyranger

Not sure what you mean about the radio not being recognized. You might want to first check that it isn't in "Demo" mode. When I disconnect the battery for one reason or another, the radio reverts back to demo mode. It doesn't play until I turn the Demo mode off.
If that's not the case, then it might be something a bit more complex. As the install was about 3 years ago, all the details are a little fuzzy. I also want to throw a disclaimer that this was my first (and only) radio install so far. I moved the #13 pin to the #7 slot so I would have steering wheel controls, and not because of grounding. I did connect all the grounds (black wires) together (per the chart I made) and haven't had any issues. I didn't splice any other wire in with the steering wheel control. I moved the orange wire in hold #13 to hole #7 and soldered it to the pink wire on the ASWC. Then I connected the brown wire on the ASWC to the corresponding blue/yellow wire on the radio harness.
**I didn't use the brown wire on the radio connector.** The manual for your radio (pg 29 at http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B5A-0150-20.pdf) says that the brown wire is for navigation systems.

Hope this helps.
Kenwood KDC-X696

Last edited by surveyranger; 01-10-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:06 AM   #29
clfhngr

My Ride: 2002 325IX, 2002tii
Thanks! I did take off DEMO mode. In reviewing your post again, I found that I had not connected the blue and white from radio (P. CONT/ANT. CONT) to blue on adapter. Will try swapping the pin to 7 and fixing this also. Unfortunately, my son won't be back for a week or so to try the revision!
clfhngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #30
philliez

My Ride: 2000 328i
Thank you for this straightforward thread. I have no interest in a double-din android touchnav climate control relocation setup. I just want to install a deck with a usb input and retain steering wheel controls. This thread has made it much less intimidating. I'll be doing this soon.

Last edited by philliez; 02-23-2016 at 05:32 PM.
philliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #31
dzlockhead

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325XI
About 12V rail

I am just about to tackle this and I was hoping you could tell me, what did you connect to for the 12V accessory rail? And what did you connect the ground wire to? Thank you!
dzlockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #32
surveyranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlockhead View Post
I am just about to tackle this and I was hoping you could tell me, what did you connect to for the 12V accessory rail? And what did you connect the ground wire to? Thank you!
Everything in the pin-out is how I connected it using the existing wires. I didn't need an additional ground.
Kenwood KDC-X696
Old 04-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #33
dzlockhead

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325XI
So did you splice the red wire on the Axxess into the red wire on the integration harness?
dzlockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #34
surveyranger

Yes. I spliced (soldered) the ASWC, radio power wire, and BMW wiring harness adapter together. It's shown in the "10-Harnesses connected" pictures. I connected them end to end to form more of a continuous wire, but I'd do it differently next time. I posted a better option in post #8.
Kenwood KDC-X696
Old 07-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #35
seoulkul

My Ride: 330i
Thank you for the DIY, the tip for moving from pin 13 to pin 7 on the harness was a life saver.
seoulkul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325i, excelon, kenwood, polk, radio