E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Manual 325i or auto ZHP?
Manual 325i 53 54.64%
Auto ZHP 44 45.36%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #221
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Another note - I'm glad they put AWD in the car. It's about time really. I can understand the sentiment - it's a BMW, it should be front engined and RWD, sure. But this new AWD system isn't just a copy of XDrive, it's BMW M's own system, which by the way can send 100% of power to the rear wheels on the driver's command. In addition, the rear locking diff and front diff work together to always make the car feel like a RWD car. This is a good thing! Technology that helps us to not have a 600 HP, RWD car that wants to kill us all the time... instead, we get a car that is perfectly civil on the streets, and when we want it to, then it can kill us. Somebody over at M GmbH finally got their panties out of a wad and decided AWD was the smart decision.
I firmly agree about the AWD. I think we're at the point, overall, where RWD is a cute toy option for a reasonably priced weekend car. It's more Subaru BRZ or Mazda Miata than BMW anything. An M5, in 2018, should come with AWD and a transmission that shifts itself perfectly. Much like the Cadillac Eldorado. (My immediate respect to anyone who understood and laughed at that joke.) Why should the M5 have an automated transmission and AWD? Because the tech exists, and it's expensive enough.

For me, though, none of it matters. I can't even begin to imagine what would drive me to spend that much money on that much car. Not only do I not want to be seen driving a brand new M5, I can't imagine what I would do with it. The 2017 535i I drove was plenty fast, and I probably wouldn't even buy that. So, really, my opinion on all of is coming from that perspective.

Last edited by lingon300k; Yesterday at 02:25 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #222
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingon300k View Post
I firmly agree about the AWD. I think we're at the point, overall, where RWD is a cute toy option for a reasonably priced weekend car. It's more Subaru BRZ or Mazda Miata than BMW anything. An M5, in 2018, should come with AWD and a transmission that shifts itself perfectly. Much like the Cadillac Eldorado. (My immediate respect to anyone who understood and laughed at that joke.) Why should the M5 have an automated transmission and AWD? Because the tech exists, and it's expensive enough.

For me, though, none of it matters. I can't even begin to imagine what would drive me to spend that much money on that much car. Not only do I not want to be seen driving a brand new M5, I can't imagine what I would do with it. The 2017 535i I drove was plenty fast, and I probably wouldn't even buy that. So, really, my opinion on all of is coming from that perspective.
Well said. One caveat though... backwards day? The new M5 has an AUTOMATIC transmission. Standard good ol professional TORQUE CONVERTED automatic with ///M flair. It achieves full lockup after 3 ft of roll out after launch. So basically no fancy schmancy DCT or SMG etc etc. FULL AUTOMATIC. =)

By AUTOMATED, I was referring to BMW DCT and SMG.

Last edited by Mango; Yesterday at 02:34 PM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #223
JDA33

My Ride: 2003 325i
As someone who owns a manual 325i, I would not want to own any kind of automatic e46. Totally takes away from the reason I specifically went out looking to buy an e46. Like Spanner said, I personally feel it adds a lot of character to the car. The best comparison I can make is when my father went from a manual 2013 Grand Sport to a 2016 Automatic Z06. I got the pleasure of driving both when visiting, and I can definitely say I'd love to own either. The fact of the matter is a 220 HP increase, regardless of it being stick or auto, is not something I would ever be able to pass up. But it definitely lost some of that raw insanity of 6.2L 650 HP supercharged V8, I'm gonna dominate the world goodness, when I wasn't working 3 pedals. That's just my take, automatics now a days are just too good in terms of shift points/times so I totally understand companies with high end cars making a push for it.

I have never driven a ZHP, but I have driven (not owned so my opinion is skewed) a non zhp 330i, and 2 different M3's both with SMG trans. Difference between M3 with SMG and the 325, no contest I'd pick the M3, but that isn't the debate so, irrelevant. As for the Non-ZHP 330, it was pretty well maintained but still had roughly 140k miles on the Trans. It was a bit rough, and while it still felt decent, the thought of potential additional trans issues from it being automatic looming over my head would be enough to not care for the ~50 HP difference of an Auto ZHP. That reason in itself is why I bought manual, and where I totally agree with Mango.

As for the LA traffic ordeal, I'd rather own a bicycle than a car. I was out there for work at one point and had the joy of driving in that hell. I live in and work in center city Philadelphia, so I do not need to drive to work, I can just walk. If I did have to sit through 76 during peaks of rush hour, no way I would own a manual car. I see both sides of that argument, so I can understand why people would chose either. I just personally enjoy the e46 platform with a manual, regardless of the performance debate for it.
JDA33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #224
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
At this time do I agree manuals are a very very small niche market like matte paint and green stitching, Nope.
you're really gonna misquote me me like you did i clearly said NOPE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Not in Europe. 80%:
https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-n...-vs-automatic/
Over here in the US it's 4%.
nice article. just shows some perspectives on topic aren't taking in (ROW) rest of the world.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM   #225
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Well said. One caveat though... backwards day? The new M5 has an AUTOMATIC transmission. Standard good ol professional TORQUE CONVERTED automatic with ///M flair. It achieves full lockup after 3 ft of roll out after launch. So basically no fancy schmancy DCT or SMG etc etc. FULL AUTOMATIC. =)

By AUTOMATED, I was referring to BMW DCT and SMG.
No idea what I was talking about, I guess. I'd assumed these cars have some kind of evolution of the SMG transmission. To be completely honest, outside of the article I read six months to a year ago that stated BMW would finally be adding AWD to the M cars, I got most of my info from glancing at this thread.

I'm not crazy about any of the new BMWs. I like the M4 a bit, but I could sort of take it or leave it. If someone gave me an AWD M4 I would probably keep it. Though I would seriously considering selling it to buy both an E34 and a W123. New cars just aren't doing much for me since, I don't know, around 2005.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote