E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Black Saphire E46 Touring - the mod history

1M views 2K replies 338 participants last post by  tuscan1205 
#1 ·
I picked up the car on Sunday evening and I started yesterday doing some minor modifications. This will be so much easier to give updates versus the ZHP...too many mods on that one.

First pictures - 100% stock

Modding begins - removed TX inspection and tax decals and the 325i badge

CLEANED THE ENGINE BAY - for those that saw it the first day - damn it was dusty

RADAR detector and Homelink controller being installed

Rear cargo area protective mat

First Aid kit (stocked with supplies) installed under the drivers seat

See less See more
#156 ·
She is all good with it - and no, not living in the garage yet - I have three other bedrooms to choose from before that happens

so far - little costs have been outlayed - except the bumpers, but thanks to Bubba at Suburban Auto Body - everything at cost and REALLY inexpensive paint and body work

#159 · (Edited)
yea - suspension lowering seats came in FINALLY

I started installing the angel eyes earlier - but decided to just do the wiring portion in the engine bay and deal with the remote wire and the actual headlight portions later or tomorrow...

I have a migraine and working on the car is not happy feeling...

She isnt afraid of this one - and I have to accept that she will drive it occasionally...so i cant go too overboard

#164 ·
finally put the MD tags on tonight and finished wiring the angel eyes - although I didnt break into the headlights - i left that for tomorrow as it got too cold and dark

I have class in an hour - so no to installing the suspension tonight

#166 ·
got home at 10pm (well, a little after) and just finished doing stuff in the garage...

showered and ready for BED...been up since 430am (couldnt sleep last night after going to bed too early from not being able to sleep the night before....)

some stuff is done - those coming to the get together tomorrow will see - I did not take pics but will soon or someone will post some tomorrow night

TRP - you are out of luck bud - you are going to have to buy your own - there's a hint

#168 ·
lol - i am tired

i installed them with the H&R springs and the height is perfect - no rubbing and the 19's are tucked nicely up in the fenders

they definitely make a difference and I considered getting another set for the sedan - i could lift the C-Os a little for everyday driving and then slam it at shows and such

UGH, how I wish I could find a Praxxis system for the sedan

#186 ·
I thought that ZHP Sedan was a donor car for the Sport Wagon...:4ngie:

Here's the BMW part numbers for the Rubber Spring Pads...
They I cost about $10 each.

E46 325It - 5mm - 33531136385
E36 325i - 7.5mm - 33531136386
E36 325i - 10mm - 33531136387
E46 325ix - 15mm - 33531094754

Stock Wagon size is 5mm.
I have a pair of 15mm that I tried with Eibach Pro rear springs and they raised it back up to about stock Sport Package ride height.
I hear H&Rs are just a little taller in the rear so you may want try the 10mm.

If that's too low and you need the 15mm, I'll send you my like new pair for the cost of shipping.

#172 ·
Ok, I lowered the car last night, installed the angel eyes and replaced the brake pads (I didnt do the rotors becuase I am supposed to be getting a comlete set of 330 brakes in the early spring - bigger!!)

Wheel gap before

#173 · (Edited)
After talking with another touring owner and talking to some other folks - I decided to only lower the front for now. It gives the car rake and also lets me still haul stuff.

I may swap out the rear coils at some point if I can get my hands on the spacers that were discussed earlier - just to even out the ride (the front is stiffer than the rear - to be expected)

the chrome grills are in the car right now because hte black ones are being painted body color to match the bumpers and trim...and that explains why there isnt any trim on the fenders and doors

I borrowed that blue wheel barrow (4 cu ft) and ended up going and buying an 8 cu ft unit (in black...LOL) because I hated the idea of making twice as many trips with the dirt I was moving - as it was, there were still 23 loads of dirt moved...for more info on that mod (house) - see my thread about building a retaining wall and walkway on the other side of my house.

#175 ·
i was wondering where the trim went.. the car looks rockin' dude, i'm so jealous. i've been trying to get my girlfriend on board with the wagon/touring idea and i think this will really help! i'm dead set on a wagon (i want an E30 so bad i can taste it) for when we have kids, i refuse to drive a minivan and suvs are scary.. i'm sssoooo jealous..

edit: i'm kinda new to this forum (like haven't-made-a-sig-yet new), when do i get yellow concrete poles? haha

#181 ·
LOL - Yeah I figured it out when I saw the moldings. Then I quickly removed the question. :p

Looks great!

My car goes in Saturday for a DINAN S signature package. Then back into the shop the following week for a few suspension goodies. (Possibly make it an S1 car...)

Not near as cool as doing it yourself, but I've got two little ones and a mean wife (just kidding honey!...(in case she reads this...) ;) )

#179 ·
got my first mod on today. it doesn't look great (long story) but its better.. it doesn't matter, i'm hooked. and my credit card is cowering in the bottom of my wallet like "nnoooooo!!!!"
how long did it take you to do the trim? i have a joanne's nearby and was considering a tan suede took if i could find a match to my interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.