E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DIY barter, I'll help you perform a DIY I'm knowledgable in if you help me with one??

15K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  sillieidiot 
#1 · (Edited)
Well i'm no mechanic but I have done a few things to my E46 that If I had to re-do twice I could probably do it fairly quick and easy. I also have tools and a garage. There are some DIY I wouldn't want to do alone, so I'll post some stuff up I can do, we can do one or multiple upgrades/repairs if you can help me with some thing not on my list, thanks to any one who responds, I live in Tustin in OC.

I can:
-Change oil, Trans fluid, Diff Fluid (have all tools to do all 3)
-roll front and/or rear fenders (would need to rent a roller/heat gun combo, aprox $50)
-install interior/exterior LED lighting, emblems, Angel Projectors, Depot Tail lights, corners
-change cabin filter, spark plugs, intake, battery, intake boot, clean/replace the ICV
-sand/primer/paint/clear coat Interior trim to match body color, or your choice of color such as Metallic silver/black.
-Re-paint black trim exterior pieces, mirrors, pills, wiper arms
-change front/rear rotors & pads/sensors
-change front sway bar links

SO there are DIY I'm comfortable doing really quick and easily if we have the right tools, and I have a decent selection, I'm also willing to loan my garage and assisnt in any unlisted DIY if you help me with one or ones I would want to do?

Some DIY I would want help with doing it my first time, in exchange for my help:
-Installing headers
-Changing any thing related to front/rear suspension (shocks, control arms/bushings
-Cooling system maintence, (flush, new expansion tank? hoses?
-fuel pump/filter
-Front bumper/fog light install (paint would be awesome but thats prob asking too much)
-Double DIN install
-Brake Fluid Flush
-blower motor lube or replacement (to stop the shaky rattle noise when ac is on, or when cutch is not engaged at a dead stop.

Thats all i can think of at the moment, please PM me so we can work on our cars!

See less See more
#3 ·
It would probably depend on who responded with what they preffered to help out with. I would like to tackle that blower motor issue if possible, and ifs that root cause the "tick tick tick tick" noise that increases as the AC is turned on. I want to just lube it and clean it up.

Bleeding brakes, flushing coolant/changing hoses also I would like to try.

Motor mounts/fog lights w/ new bumper install also is high on my list.

#6 ·
awesome, I live in Tustin and have a garage here and tools. 2 man method you just remove 1 tire right while one guy pumps the old fluid out?? The only suspension upgrade I'm doing at the moment is just front sway bar links, which should be very easy.

Do you need help with any thing on yours?

#7 ·
sounds like you would do well at the DIY meets i have at my house once in a while. anyways off that list i can do suspension (shocks/springs/rear control arms/sways), front bumper/fogs, bleeding brakes (2 man). that's about it lol

anyways stuff that i can do that you didn't list (besides the stuff that you can do, cause i can do it too lol):
belts/pulleys (everything but underdrive, too messy)/tensioner (mechanical)
window regulators
taking off tint (except for rear window)
most things lighting/electrical related
rear bumper
exhaust (from headers back like tse3)
basic speakers install
install hoods/trunks (CF/FG with dremeling work)
install new seats
alternator replacement
valve gasket
install ssk

iono what else. but if there's anything i haven't done, i'm always up to try it lol

i think my friend is going to get a new fuel pump soon, so once i do that, i'll add that to the list of stuff i can do i guess.

#17 · (Edited)
cool yeah if you ever have a DIY meet up let me know I'll stop by and help even if I don't need any thing. I've done Headlights and reset SES lights with other members here.

I'm replacing my M style bumper with a mint one, and need to wire fogs as well as replace mirrors for next upgrade. I'm driving to SD to DDM probably Friday morning to get the bumper, fogs, corners, mirrors. It would be cool to get some help with that, I never could even get my old fogs to work and they seemed to be wired correctly? I think I can handle it but haven't done the DIY's yet. Thanks for reply.

#32 ·
well depending on how many people need stuff done, i think i would have to limit it to do one DIY project per car. that way we can get everyone involved rather than having one car benefitting (that should be my car lol). we'll probably need a photographer too, need to get some more people to start doing this lol

anyone have hookups on tires? cause i really need them lol

#36 ·
Anyone got the peake scan tool? Service Engine Soon Light came on, and when I connect the OBDII in it reads error so I think peake tool is my only choice. I'm pretty handy with car stuff. I've done a lot of things on all sorts of cars. Except stuff with diffs and transmissions (other than changing the clutch/flywheel)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.