E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Steering Wheel Shake 55-65mph

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  ALSHUBCAPS.COM 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to diagnose a problem in my 330xi (2003):

For a few months now I've had slight but annoying steering wheel shake (wiggles left and right by about 1/4 inch each way) from approximately 55-65mph on smooth roads. The car still feels very stable, but the vibration/shake is very annoying at times. I also feel a slight staggered vibration on turning at about 40mph when the wheel is returning to 0 degrees from about 5 degrees (left or right turn). Also, at low speeds (below 15mph), when performing a turn, and I just let the steering wheel free, it staggers to 0 degrees by steps (not smoothly, like it used to). There is almost no vibration above 65mph or below 55mph, unless I'm turning at low speeds, like described above.

Steering wheel shake while braking is almost non-existent. It seems like the problem is worse when I just start driving the car (when its cold), and the symptoms quiet down a bit after driving for a while, but are still there & noticeable.

The dealer did balance all four wheels for $90 (ripoff?), but that didn't do anything. They also told me that all of my wheels are "slightly bent." When I called in to tell them that the problem still exists, they tried to convince me that the next step would be to replace the wheels. They told me that since I just recently had my inspection (3 months ago) and that they visually inspected the steering components and didn't see anything, and since my wheels are slightly bent, that that's the problem. Now, I really don't think that the wheels have anything to do with the turning staggered steering wheel. I did alternate the front wheels with the back wheels, and that didn't do anything either. The problem still exists.

Now, I did some research on this forum, and it seems like all of the above pointers lead to worn out CABs (control arm bushings), or something with the control arm. But I don't know much about car mechanics, so I couldn't really tell.

For anyone that had a similar experience, could you please help me diagnose the problem before I listen to the dealer's advice to replace all the wheels?

Thank You!

~Alex

See less See more
#7 ·
Take your car to a mechanic that does front end wheel alignments. They should be able to get a clear view of the bottom of your car and let you know how worn down your bushings are. The bushings are in the front of your car and keep the control arms in place. They aren't too expensive to change and from what I have been reading online regarding common e46 issues, the front end bushings wearing down happens to be one of them.

#6 ·
bushings are your main problem, and wheels just make you feel it more...i replaced my bushings and am putting in new wheels this week...problem should be completely gone

#8 ·
Doesn't matter what else is wrong, if the wheels are bent fix them or live with the vibe & dont' bi**h about it, there is no third choice.

AL'S HUBCAPS
MINEOLA, NY

#9 ·
Regarding bent wheels,what should you look for. I have steering wheel shake from 60 mph and up. The shaking has been getting worse. A mechanic told me it looked like both front wheels are bent. I took off both front wheels this past weekend to regrease my brake pads (they were squealing badly) and I could not visually see any indication that the wheels are bent.

#10 · (Edited)
sashko

How can I take a look at my front end bushings or tell whether they're the problem?

--------

just jack ur car up and wiggle ur wheel to see if its loose. the control arm should look like a wishbone with 3 joints. the bushing is the little ball thingy with a piece of rubber in it thats connected to the body of the car, which one side of the control arm is inserted into. it has 2 nuts that holds it in place. it should be really easy to spot. if u wiggle ur wheel and it feels loose then check the inside of the bushing ( the rubber part) it might be busted.
And btw,, my steering wheels usd to vibrate too at around 60mph. it turned out one of my wheel was bended. had that fixed and no more vibrating. =)
did u try the alignment?
it costs 10 bux to balance one wheel at pepboys. about 15 at sears. and 10 bux at strauss. so u do the math. =)

-sng

#11 · (Edited)
if its the CABs thats the problem,,then just order some new bushings on ebay about 50-60 bux. the whole control arms + bushings wuld be around $300 tops.
but u dont have to replace ur existing control arms cuz they would still be good. if anything it would just be that rubber part in the bushing thats busted. and it should be fairly easy to replace em urself cuz theres only 4 nuts to mess wit thats all. just gotta jack ur car up alittle for some wiggle room. if u go out and have someone do it for u,,theyre gonna charge u about $2-300 each side. so just search up the DIY section if u wanna tackle it urself. but this is all just "if this applies to you, informations." hopefully in ur case its just a simple alighnment problem.
good luck.

#13 ·
check your tire, balance it and alignment it both first
then let the tire expert to check if ur rims are bent when they do balance for u..

the last one u need to check is ball joint of the control arm cuz if your car is like 3 or 4 years old, you definitely have to check it. i had mine all replace by dealer on 35000 miles....
also, please check your control arms. it does matter too if there is problem of control arm such as crack or something else...

#15 ·
THE wheels can be checked to truly see if they are bent when spun on a balancing machine, but a cheap balance will only get you a cheap balance

AL'S HUBCAPS
MINEOLA, NY

#16 ·
i have a similar steering wheel shake but only when I brake around 40 down to 30 mph - I did alignment and check CAB and they seem fine. I was wondering if that the brake/rotor problem since it only shakes when I brake.....will wheels bent cause that too?

#18 ·
if you only feel it when braking, it is within the brakes/rotors/calipers
iT does not sound like balancing or bent wheel.

AL'S HUBCAPS
MINEOLA, NY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.