E46 Fanatics Forum banner

wheel bearing question

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MemphisM3 
#1 ·
The other day i was driving and i noticed a humming sound coming from my left front tire. Goes away when i turn left. Present when im turning right or driving straight. The sound wasnt there 1 week ago. So i figured it was the bearing starting to go. No big deal, easy fix. Then today i washed my car and i noticed a ring of grease around the emblem on the front left tire. Is it still a bad bearing or is something else wrong? Any help would b great, thanx

#3 ·
I noticed the humming sound after it snowed a little. I was thinking maybe salt or something got in there. I dont know what else would be leaking grease right there. If my dust cap failed and let something in, then i could see my bearing being damaged and then leak grease out of where the cap is failing. Steering wheel isnt shaking and my car stops straight.

#7 ·
Grease around the boots, tears and dry rot. Pop off the center cap or remove the wheel and take a pic of where the grease is if you can.

It definitely sounds like it's the bearing, though. Does the sound increase with speed? You can check if there's play in the wheel, but I've had a couple instances where there was no play, but it was indeed the bearing, usually when you catch it early. The bearing has to be pretty hosed for there to be apparent play.

#11 · (Edited)
It's wheel bearing. Usually it starts when you turn left or right sound goes away make sure your replacing the right one . When you drive it for a while and not replacing its gonna go bad and even if you drive, without turning the sound will be there. Replace your bearing asap. Btw the grease you see could be torn bot, take the wheel off and inspect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.