E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Concern about oil. Help.

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  bengwie 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a `99 328i with 65k on it. Prev. owner had all service records which included oil changes with Synth only. Most were BMW dealer or auth dealer changes. As I was about to change the oil, I noticed a thin brown sludge layer under the cap. My old87 325is never had this even with 270k on it (it ran on non synth).

I want my heart to race when I drive the car, not when I look underneath the oil cap. With that...

How concerned should I be about the thin brown layer?

Will it or any part of it I can't see in the block disappear if I change the synth more frequently?

Is this due to longer spans between synth changes?

Is it due to the prev. owners commute that was more city miles than highway?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

jk329i99

#2 ·
Hard to say why your new car has this layer and your old one didn't but I wouldn't worry about it. I've noticed that layer on most of my previous vehicles and they were always well maintained. Nothing to lose any sleep over. Clean the cap if it will make you feel better.

#5 ·
i had this prob. on my 330Ci at 30K miles.. every 12500 miles i get an engine flush and change oil (depending on my driving) every 3000-5000 miles. my car has now 57K miles on it and no brown layers ever since i started to do my car this way. And theres nothing to worry about thats just because the oil when the motor is running it all comes up there and then it sits there and gets a little brown because of heat and stuff.. or so a BMW tech told me.. nothing to worry about... :thumbup:

Plus BMW motors are extremely strong... or so i learned when i spanked an Audi S4 i was redlining in 3rd gear and i accidently shifted into second :banghead: and let the clutch out halfway :yikes: and my Tach complete wanted to run over the 7 LOL it sounded like a bomb dropped on my car.. I thought it was over and i blew the motor.. I did the same thing when i had my 6 speed celica GTS and i blew that motor up.. but this motor "i mean Damn" i put it right back in 3rd when i slowed down and the car was still running perfectly fine. Thank god for Forged Internals :bow:

Sorry i got off topic just thought id mention how kick ass our motors are :thumbup:

#6 ·
jk328i99 said:
I recently purchased a `99 328i with 65k on it. Prev. owner had all service records which included oil changes with Synth only.

... I noticed a thin brown sludge layer under the cap. My old87 325is never had this even with 270k on it (it ran on non synth).

The 15k mile oil service interval is nothing but a marketing scheme. The independant BMW guys (Koala Motorsport, Motor Works West, etc.) all recommend much more frequent oil changes.

Ed

#7 ·
i have a 99 323i with 25k miles on it, and i change the oil frequently, check the oil dipstick and oil is transparent, run the engine a few minutes and the oil is very dark brown, like with a "rusty" color, also oil cap with a brown film, any ideas, everything works fine maybe an engine flush, with what do i do an engine flush?

thanks

#9 ·
actually the 3k mile change interval is a marketing scheme to make u buy more oil more frequently. most new synthetic oils should be changed about 6-8k miles, there was some test done a while back that used mobile 1, amsoil, and some other stuff that i dont remember. 15k miles between oil changes is a bit much...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.