E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Worth It?

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Arronax 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm looking to purchase a 2002 M3 convert. It is dark blue matallic, has heated seats and SMG/automatic tranny. No xenon, no NAV but it does have heated seats. It has 51k miles and they're asking $31,998 + tax, tags, title. This is fairly non-negotiable since it is being sold at Carmax. The car's had three owners but a clean title and history report. Also, I've found out that the door, fender and hood have been repainted although I am told that the parts are all original (no DOT-R, all proper VIN stickers). The car is being transported to a local Carmax so that I can actually see it and test drive. (I got out of the $149 transfer fee.)

What do you guys think? A good deal or should I keep searching?

Tony
1998 E36 M3/4/5
http://www.scarolas.com/98e36m3/

#3 ·
Not a wonderful deal. The NAV isn't a biggie - the no HID's is IMHO. I'm surprised a convertible got here without them. FWIW - I paid not a lot more than that for my '02 with 37k on it over a year ago (and with everything except NAV..) and mine has clean CARFAX and CARCHECK and has never had ANY paint work done.

I'd keep looking since it's not negotiable. At $30k - be a decent deal..

#4 ·
51k isn't bad for the clock on the car ('02). The only thing I don't like about it is no xenons and the re-paint of certain panels isn't bad although you need a carfax. If it's been in an accident I wouldn't get it because there are plenty of cars out there in this range (M3). Good luck.

#11 ·
Update: Test Drive

Ok guys. I took her for a test drive tonight. It is in pristine condition. The SMG and suspension is solid. Interior is great. Tires are new. The headlights are HID/projectors. Also, it has the Harmon speakers (upgraded stereo?)
I will be going back tomorrow night to have another test drive and get my 1998 E36 M3 appraised. If all works out, (if they give me a good price for my M3) I might be driving this E46 M3 'vert home.

#12 ·
don't trade in your car! You'll lose a couple thousand.

If you can....finance your purchase if you don't have the cash, and sell your old car pricate party - then pay off the loan with that. Dealers never give you what you can get private party. Never.

And do heed the advice of others above - there are more fish in the sea. How long you been looking? Is this the exact color combo you want? Spend the time to find the right deal - you won't regret it.

The new painted panels would scare me away - especially if the seller can't explain what happened. Also...3 owners in 5 years is sketchy.

Good luck either way!

#13 ·
The test drive was nice, although the car had some issues. The wheels were not original. The car was a "smoker's car", although CarMax said it was not. The SMG tranny seemed "off" and the indicator was showing "S" when in automatic mode and "A" when manual mode. Definately some problems. And last, they only offered me $7,500 for my 1998 E36 M3 four-door, five-speed manual with 90k miles when they have one on the lot, a '97 with 115k miles for $13,500! I left immediately when they said they wouldn't budge on the prices and will never go back to CarMax again!
I'm going to test drive a 2002 M3 today at the dealer. The price is right and the history is great. Also, it's a CPO so I'll be set if the car works out.
Thanks again all for the help.

Tony

#17 · (Edited)
Private party your car, look at the M3's in the other Carmax stores. I had a '04 shipped in from Orlando for $350 with 32k miles for 38k out the door with the extended warranty and it still has the maintenance warranty.

Only deal with Matt Crush at the VA Beach Carmax, everyone else is a complete waste of oxygen and your time. They still won't budge on the price, but he knows euros well and will be straight with you. I bought both bimmers from him.

Just tell him the guy that bought the M3 and the black 325i...he'll know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.