E46 Fanatics Forum banner

XiT Owners who are using H&R Bilstein Sport Set Up

9K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Scadian 
#1 · (Edited)
Fanatics... I'm in the process of tweaking my XiT and I'm looking for any owners that have applied the H&R Springs with Bilstein Sport Shocks set-up on their Touring. Ride quality, height reduction, tire rubbing issues etc. I'm running VMR VB3's with 225/40/18 rubber. I really want a subtle drop, with a positive rake... want to keep it as stealth as possible.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The H&Rs (found HERE for the ix touring) which lower your car about an inch all the way around, ride is typically considered slightly firmer than stock sport springs. They are typically the springs I suggest to anyone looking for a subtle drop.

A for rubbing on stock wheels and tires you will not run into any rubbing issues. With your VMRs the offset and width will be key in not having any rubbing. What are the specs on your wheels?

#5 ·
I run that and it's a bit harsh but I like it - feels like a sports car... Well more like a sports car! ;)

I would say it lowers a 325 an inch - the XI it's more than that i think. It's not subtle really. Not "slammed" though either. Perfect in my opinion but your feelings may be different. I will say I run a newer 3 series OE wheel and staggered set with 225 front and 255 rear 17" wheels and given the stiff ride wouldn't want any larger wheel here on Maine roads.

Doug

#6 ·
Thanks Doug. I don't mind a harsh ride. Some say a stock E46 M3 runs harsh... but I prefer the more athletic feel. Would you say it drops it to that height of a rear drive touring with a sports package? That would be perfect. Was it a straight bolt on and ride or did you have to trim any bump stops or add any additional parts. I've been readind about "xi's can't handle lowering" it and the "bump stops need to be trim for the reduction in wheel travel". And what about your ability to align it correctly. Thanks for your input.

Kevin

#10 ·
Not sure about spring rates. They feel progressive. You can feel it stiffen up over large bumps. No I did not have to use the spacers. I just wanted a little lower offset in the rear without putting more strain on the bearings. The ride is so much better than stock. It's almost hard to believe this setup is actually stiffer then OEM. It made me realize how crappy the stick dampers are. There is an initial harshness on sharp road joints but I don't think that's avoidable with any stiffer suspension. I didn't think I would be this low with springs. Now that the springs have settled all 4 tires a little tucked when I sit in the car.

#11 ·
So RedBull - It does give the car a reverse rake (gees! can't have my touring looking like an old 300D Benz Wagon). Was the XiT lifted a bit stock? I thought they raised it a some round 03-04 after the refresh when they added the (mild) sports package which I have.

Rogers what kind of car did you do the application on?

#15 ·
Andynicks - I held off. The only fan that has used that exact set-up on a Xit was Redbull and he indicated that he had to chop the front springs to maintain a positive rake. I don't want to "Frankenstein" my car for a little less height...now he's courting coil overs. So Im gonna lay up and go with the Bilstein HD's and stiffen it where it is. Though its not a daily driver I use it much for road trips... and really wanted a "bolt on and ride" set-up without any major adjustments. Let me know what you do... I'd like to see how it turns out.

#18 ·
What is the part number of the H&R coilover kit you went with? I have been searching retail sites and it's a mess with all the various models, rear vs all wheel drive, touring vs sedan vs coupe. Turner Motorsport has part# 29382-1 but references the Xi sedan with no mention of the touring. I've been using the search function as well but haven't found much.

#26 · (Edited)
That is correct as the H&R coils use the oem top spring hat, however you could theoretically use one of these and replace spring with a 2.5" id spring. This won't allow you to go any lower, but could let you run different rates. One cool thing about the H&R coils overs is that the front struts have the thick pistons in them, similar to what you'd find in a front e46 rwd bilstein strut.

#28 ·
I went this route w/ my 04' 325 xit. I asked around on a similar bmw forum and the only response I got back was from a parts supplier that wanted to sell me coil overs.

The reason for refresh was when I took it to the dealership for my inspection 2. The stealership said the rear springs were bad. The whole front end minus struts and springs were done under my extended warranty (FCA,FCAB,CV, ect..). I figure I buy a spring/shock set for the price they asked to put rear springs in for and have an indy to it. I ordered sport struts and shocks. HR Sport springs for the touring. New front mounts and reinforcements, new rear mounts and reinforcements.

I took to an indy mechanic to put them on since I a) don't have the tools b) don't have the time.

He puts all but one rear shock on because ECS tuning sent the wrong one.

I now have a effing noise from front left I am taking it to him to check out tomorrow. I didn't get spring pads could or perches could that be the reason? The ride sucks. I was expecting stiff and feeling the road. However, it is bouncy up front as ghetto'd out riced out civic.

Now I read in the other thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=830014 about failures galore in the rear shocks I am waiting for on back order.. :censor:

I see some say don't lower a XIT some say it doesn't matter.:eeps:

What is a good set up for a 325 XIT suspension wise. I want a stiffer than stock feel I don't want a bouncy ghetto'd out bmw. It only feels right when I am cornering fast as all get out.

Should I go back to stock springs? What would be good springs and shocks? I don't think coil overs would be a good option up in Detroit w/ out atrocious roads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.