E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Redline Speed Worx Presents: Saad Racing / Pro EFI Stage 3 Build

56K views 252 replies 48 participants last post by  Vert-igo 
#1 · (Edited)
Redline Speed Worx is proud to present the build thread of our shop E46 M3.

We have been in the the "european repair & performance" community for a number of years now. You may already be familiar with our work in the Audi, VW, Mercedes Benz & Porsche markets and we please invite you to visit our website (www.RedlineSpeedWorx.com), our Flickr Account, as well as our Facebook Page which we do update daily ! We pride ourselves on high end repair work, and do specialize in engine / transmission rebuilds as well as aftermarket turbocharger systems.

If you AREN'T familiar with our work take a moment to check out our "SHOP LIFE" thread here on e46fanatics ! It displays some of the work we have completed over the past few months !

We have FINALLY decided it was time to build a BIG power BMW, and what better platform than that of the E46 M3.

Our Shop M3 will be receiving a complete Saad Racing Stage 3 Turbocharger system. The entire vehicle is currently being overhauled from a complete engine rebuild, drivetrain upgrades, braking system upgrades, suspension overhaul as well as the installation of a complete Pro EFI engine management system.

The first post of this thread will outline the components currently going into the vehicle from Saad Racing as well as Pro EFI.

Precision Turbocharger 6766

Saad_E46_M3_Turbo_4 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Turbo_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Turbo_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Silicone Hose Kit

Saad_E46_M3_Silicone_Couplers_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Pro EFI Engine Management System

Saad_E46_M3_PROEFI_1 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_PROEFI_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_PROEFI_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_PROEFI_4 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad Racing Exhaust Manifold. Currently being Ceramic Coated

Saad_E46_M3_Mainfold_1 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Mainfold_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Mainfold_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Mainfold_5 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Mainfold_6 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad Racing Intake Manifold. Currently being Thermal Coated

Saad_E46_M3_Intake_Manifold_1 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Intake_Manifold_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Intake_Manifold_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Intake_Manifold_5 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad Racing / Pro EFI Upgraded Ignition System

Saad_E46_M3_Ignition_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Ignition_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Ignition_1 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad Racing Upgraded Fueling System Fully E85 Compatible.

Saad_E46_M3_Fueling_1 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Fueling_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Fueling_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Fueling_4 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Fueling_5 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Fueling_6 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_Fueling_7 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad Racing Front Mount Intercooler

Saad_E46_M3_FMIC_1 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_FMIC_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_FMIC_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_FMIC_Piping_1 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_FMIC_Piping_2 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

Saad_E46_M3_FMIC_Piping_3 by Redline Speed Worx, on Flickr

See less See more
#213 ·
Ran into some production issues with the valve spring retainers on our M3, replacing them all with new units from the manufacture this weekend. Then its time to get this bad unit tuned!

#217 ·
We should have some up in the next two weeks.

Did it break the dyno?
LOL it has not made it to the Dyno yet. We have been having an issue with the Titanium retainers. I have installed 2 sets so far! It is almost perfect.

The car needs to be tuned before the last weekend of September because we are bringing all of our cars to a show in OC, MD called H20.

#228 · (Edited)
We completed a basic pump gas tune on the vehicle to allow it to make the trip down to Ocean City, MD two weeks ago and the M3 made 630rwhp @ 15 PSI. We were experiencing an issue with the factory DME closing the throttle at 7,000 RPM, so we are working through that currently. We plan to have that 100% correct this week, and next week pushing the vehicle hard on E85, and should see mid-900's to the tire. All in prep for the D.O.R. 2 Event that is November 8th ;)

... but otherwise the M3 is running great, and has been very enjoyable to play with on the street thus far!

#237 ·
Original tune was done by Garth and Underground as per earlier in the build thread. That's what came in the ProEFi when I bought it. I had the tune set back to a base tune for E85 as Garth's tune was controlling the VANOS and I did not have the cam wheels - being that the motor sold to a guy in Australia. James @ Saad Racing did the base tune (which is more meant so that I can move the car during the build as needed).

I imagine it makes around 700 WHP with E85 (stock block) on the lower waste gate spring setting I now have in the car. When the motor is built it will make around 940 - 960 WHP I am told. Tuning will be done by Saad Racing.

The turbo is a PT 6766 Dual Ball Bearing.

#238 ·
I have the e46 m3 turbo that used to be owned by Jason of Proefi, so I was curious to know what your setup is, thanks for the info. I went with the production Saad racing setup and a 7675 dbb turbo on Garth's recommendation and got the car back in January (after a 3 month turnaround). We had to do a vanos delete because it kept jamming due to the 1000 plus whp output. (?) Anyway, it was pretty nice to have the second highest whp e46 m3 turbo for about 6 or 7 runs until it suddenly failed to go beyond 6-7 psi and started smoking like crazy! This all happened abruptly and I have had basically no support from Garth (who enjoyed the credit for the high whp numbers). I had another shop change out the valve seals (on Garth's recommendation as he was too busy to have me bring the car back to his shop!) but this has not fixed anything. Garth still has not asked me to bring the car back and take the time to make an accurate diagnosis ( which you should expect of a reputable shop?), instead telling me it needs the head rebuilt, valve train redone etc. all by telephone diagnosis! This motor was also built by Saad, btw. and apparently only has about 6000 miles after being "built" . I would welcome any input or help regarding this situation, thanks.

#239 · (Edited)
Do a compression check and leak down. It will tell u the story if it's bottom end or top end. Any shop can do it and if u r u able I'd be glad to walk u through the steps if u choose to do it urself. If those check out possibly failing turbo

Also check coolant and oil to see if any oil or water is where it shouldn't be.

FYI: I would never go past 850 with this motor if u want it to live.

#242 ·
Man, I am sorry to hear about your car! Not much point having a dyno queen that makes huge numbers then won't hit the streets. I tend to agree with Being3 lower HP and enjoying the car seems to make much more sense than pushing the block to the Max. Doesn't seem like they live long at +1000 WHP.

Have you talked to James @ Saad? His support is phenomenal.

BTW. I saw your numbers on Bimmerboost - impressive but wouldn't you rather have your vanos? How is that monster on the spray?

I did compression and leak down test after this started, these are the results which did not seem too bad(?)
Cylinder 1-6 compression 145/150/145/150/155/150
Cylinder1-6 leak down % 15/4/8/5/5/5

Car seems to smoke more under load and after warming up, thinking this is likely a turbo issue?

#243 ·
It is a dual ball bearing turbo and there is no scavenge pump!

Man, I am sorry to hear about your car! Not much point having a dyno queen that makes huge numbers then won't hit the streets. I tend to agree with Being3 lower HP and enjoying the car seems to make much more sense than pushing the block to the Max. Doesn't seem like they live long at +1000 WHP.

Have you talked to James @ Saad? His support is phenomenal.

BTW. I saw your numbers on Bimmerboost - impressive but wouldn't you rather have your vanos? How is that monster on the spray?
I am very disappointed in this whole situation as I am much more interested in having a car to drive and enjoy vs an impressive dyno number! Unfortunately I placed my faith in Garth at Undercover who told me that the engine could take that kind of power "all day", although when he was pushing the car on the dyno, he called to ask permission to take it to redline and when I asked why he said he was concerned about the block and mains. I said no to going to redline given his concerns. Also, when the car had a 6766 and the vanos in place, it was much more responsive but I had no choice but to go with Garth's recommendation to delete the vanos as he had it seize up twice during the tuning. I am not sure if he installed the cam trigger wheels he said he was going to and if this might have had something to do with it? As for the nos, I have never sprayed it given the current situation and it really is only there to maintain boost in between gear shifts, not to add power. The power was awesome when it was working, but literally I might have hit full boost (25 psi) only 6 or 7 times after getting the car back! I have talked to James and he certainly seems helpful, I probably should call him again.

#244 ·
I have DP nitrous as well (75 HP progressive) - just plan to use it down low. Why did you switch out the 6766? Seems like the car was set up perfect and had a Jason Siebel tune - I wish he would tune mine!

It is a dual ball bearing turbo and there is no scavenge pump!

I am very disappointed in this whole situation as I am much more interested in having a car to drive and enjoy vs an impressive dyno number! Unfortunately I placed my faith in Garth at Undercover who told me that the engine could take that kind of power "all day", although when he was pushing the car on the dyno, he called to ask permission to take it to redline and when I asked why he said he was concerned about the block and mains. I said no to going to redline given his concerns. Also, when the car had a 6766 and the vanos in place, it was much more responsive but I had no choice but to go with Garth's recommendation to delete the vanos as he had it seize up twice during the tuning. I am not sure if he installed the cam trigger wheels he said he was going to and if this might have had something to do with it? As for the nos, I have never sprayed it given the current situation and it really is only there to maintain boost in between gear shifts, not to add power. The power was awesome when it was working, but literally I might have hit full boost (25 psi) only 6 or 7 times after getting the car back! I have talked to James and he certainly seems helpful, I probably should call him again.

#245 ·
At this point the turbo needs to be inspected/repaired, and it sounds like a few changes to the oiling system need to be made, possibly with a scavenge pump. If the turbo needs to be replaced I would recommend going to the 6870. After that the engine can be inspected for issues. If the leakdown and compression numbers are as stated the engine should be in decent shape. And as a rule of thumb, If you can't take the motor to redline on the dyno it will not last a minute on the track.

-Mike

#248 ·
At this point the turbo needs to be inspected/repaired, and it sounds like a few changes to the oiling system need to be made, possibly with a scavenge pump. If the turbo needs to be replaced I would recommend going to the 6870. After that the engine can be inspected for issues. If the leakdown and compression numbers are as stated the engine should be in decent shape. And as a rule of thumb, If you can't take the motor to redline on the dyno it will not last a minute on the track.

Thanks for the input Mike, we spoke about this sometime ago. At this point I'm considering removing the turbo myself and sending it back to precision for rehab if needed, although im a little bit intimidated at the prospect of doing this myself.
-Mike
These numbers look fine... Cycle 1 leak-down I suspect would be different if u ran it again. I've had 12 percent on one and then ran check again and it was back to 6p. Sometimes the cams can rotate under pressure if the plugs r all out and crank is not secured with locking pin and will have an adverse affect.

It will be most likely turbo with bearings failing. I would add scavenge pump as I believe SAAD exhaust manifold position of the turbo is lower than HPF but not as low as Maxpsi.
Turbo failure def makes the most sense. I've been told that the problem is the head/ valve stem seals/ guides without that person even mentioning the turbo or bothering to take a look at the car ( which he built!). This has been a very frustrating and negative experience, forgive me if that comes through. Mike at Maxpsi had mentioned a scavenge pump awhile back but when I discussed this with Garth he told me it was completely unnecessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.