E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Lang Racings Custom Built S54...Boosted

21K views 86 replies 24 participants last post by  lrinco01 
#1 ·
This thread will get updated as parts arrive and the build comes Together.

My S54 blew Cylinder 1 back in June 2014 the day before the Texas wannagofast.com 1/2 mile Airstrip event.

since then i bought the Built but Damaged Race prepped S54 by belaboys off m3f in Chicago.

Andrew@langracing now has my HPF M3, Block, head.

My custom 87.5mm Turbo Pistons and Rods by Carrillo have arrived.

22mm wrist pins

As far as we know, this will be the 1st Custom widened crank journal bearing built S54 with an 900whp Capable Turbo kit.

Custom Dual in-tank Walbro 400e by Jesse J aka InDiGloM3

Lots of info to come but its a new year so i wanted to get this started.....:thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I guess you meant, One of your "Random" Fuel pump pics? no, the only one you sent me.

Looking forward to going for a "spin" in this monster. Your new paint job looks awesome.
yes my friend, i will attempt to make you :censor: your pants

#10 ·
I Forgot to mention, she was on the Dyno tuning for E85 but was at E71 and @ or near its 30th pull when the piston gave out...

she was running an upgraded HPF stage 2 set up which is a stock S54 motor for 123k and boosted on pump 93 + 100% meth for over 50k miles

now, the entire fuel system has been upgraded....

+ -6AN PTFE Lines
+ Radium Performance Fuel Rail w/Damper/Gauge
+ Radium Fuel Pressure Regulator (-6AN to Fuel rail/-6AN in from surge / -6AN Return)
+ Radium Single pump surge tank (Walbro400e) *May remove or custom configure for track use*
+ Walbro 400e in-tank
+ GM Flex fuel sensor
+ AEM Infinity-8
+ ID2000cc fuel injectors

#13 ·
sorry forgot to answer your 2nd Question, "what was the exact failure?"

Piston #1 shattered or came apart and a piece made it to the bottom of the Rod where it finally collided or jammed and blew out the bottom of that Cylinder.

wall was not damaged. could be salvaged by sleeving that Cylinder and using for N/A build only from then on but i decided to go with another block.

#15 ·
1st issue.......:facepalm:

Custom Rods have been Triple checked and Andrew is certain they are OEM Length NOT the Length Requested....so Carrillo must now make new Rods to our Requested Specs....:thumbdwn:

#16 ·
We just assembled a motor for one of our customers with a Lang widened crank and custom Pauter rods. So far so good as far as the assembly is concerned. It is a car that will see track days and the usual thrashing.

#17 ·
Awesome news Mike!!!

Can't wait to see the power band she lays down once strapped with your Turbo kit.

which stage kit will be strapped to that puppy?

will you guys write-up a build thread for it?

#21 ·
Because probably nobody knows that. :thumbup:
S50 wasn't delivered in the US afaik, so none of those race shops have probably ever seen one, let alone developed on them.

#25 · (Edited)
That LangRacing widened crank looks very interesting.

As a side node, the one thing that I'm not sure I agree with on LangRacings page detailing the R&D of the part is that BMW engineers made a mistake.

No mention is given to 15k mile oil change intervals... Maybe BMW was correcting for a scenario where some car owners where happy to run hard without shortening the oil change interval (extra maintenance), something anyone in the performance world would know to be obvious. Maybe the recall was motivated by maintenance issues rather than a design flaw.

I feel that LangRacing, suggesting an error made by BMW engineers, have done themselves a dis-service by not touching on the maintenance issue in their R&D write-up; even wider bearings will fail if oil changes are inadequate.

#33 ·
Yes Kenton, it's still in progress

Had an issue with the Custom Rods so Carrillo had to make a new set

Should kick back on track in another week or two ;-)

#37 ·
Lol, she is finally on schedule. Issues resolved, another fresh S54 block was sourced and machined

Being built as you read

Hopefully she will make the PikesPeak Airstrip event 26-27 June

But we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40 ·
.81 A/R

Block looked good to the naked eye but once you start to set the bearings, #1 was too tight.

Motor was purchased from Sammy out of Chicago aka Belaboy off M3F

He told me that a pulley fell off and was bouncing around which cause a nice ding in the main pulley. Once Andrew received that motor and disassembled it he confirmed that it was built n machined using 87.5mm pistons but unknowing what truly happened and the extent of that damage.

Since then of course he has ignored all my PMs, text, emails n calls

So I looked for another block and will see him another day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#42 ·
:facepalm:

:censor:

i thought i did mention what was going on but i did close my personal FB page where we communicated most

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.