E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Reverse camera install

90K views 60 replies 27 participants last post by  AbouVova 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I just ordered a reverse camera on ebay.

the device has 4 wires

*1* video +
*2* video ground
*3* power supply +
*4* ground

Here is the TV tuner pinout diagram

I can suppose that

*1* goes on WHITE/13
*2* goes on WHITE/14
*3* goes on +12V of reverse light
*4* goes on ground of reverse light / or any other ground.

The question is : Must I use the connector BLUE/17 to activate the reverse camera video automatically when i engage the reverse gear ? if YES, am i right by supposing that i need to purchase a 12V relay to switch this pin17 to GROUND (as described on diagram) ?

Or the fact that the camera is powered only when i engage reverse (through the reverse light) is enough to active automatically the reverse camera video ?

Thanks in advance for your support
regards
patrick

See less See more
#5 ·
Damn, not that hard.

Your backup cam will have 3 or 4 wires. A +12v, gnd, and signal (1 RCA or 2 wires - 1 pos, 1 neg).

You connect the +12v to switched 12v, ground the ground and hook up your signal wire to the head unit or TV controller.

The head unit or TV controller will take care of switching between the reverse cam and other sources. Your head unit or TV controller needs to be connected to the reverse lights, usually on the positive lead. Which your controller already is from that I'm reading.

#6 ·
thanks you all for your replies.

After have read posts on bimmerboard,
i understand and know now the solution to install the reverse camera :

* connect camera power to a switched power (12V + ground)
* connect camera video output to the tv tuner camera video input
* install an automotive relay 12V with :
- reverse light power / ground
commands
- ground / pin 17 of the tv tuner (switch to camera reverse).

I ordered all parts and i'll try to do a clear DIY to confirm all that.

Thanks to all.

#7 ·
Hi All,

I continue on this subject, as i'm still working on that, i have not yet received the camera :(

So.. Yesterday, i installed the relay.
The wire i found in the trunk for the reverse signal is blue/yellow
I think that's same for all E46.

When i engage reverse, the TV module switches fine to the camera video input.
I did the test by inputing a DVD video source, it works fine.

But, i have one issue, i don't know the reason why, may be someone knows...

I removed the dvd video input from the camera reverse video input, and plug it back to the AV video input. camera reverse video input has nothing now.

1/ If i watch the DVD or TV. when i engage the reverse gear, i can see the DVD / TV picture, but flickering ! (whereas there is no video source in the camera reverse video input)

2/ If i'm in the nav audio menu, when i engage the reverse gear, i can see a black screen (normal i think).

is it normal for the 1st case ?

#9 ·
Just an update for the raised issue : there's no issue actually.

Inputing a DVD in the reverse camera channel doesn't display properly the video on the nav screen, that's normal, it seems that this video channel doesn't support DVD video format, and this channel is only designed for reverse camera video.

Indeed, i received the reverse camera yesterday, i plugged it into the tv module, and it works perfectly, the video is clean !

Conclusion : reverse camera video input must be only used for ... the reverse camera :), we cannot input something else like DVD or playstation ^^

I will install everything properly on saturday, i will make a DIY as promised.

#10 ·
Hi,

I am also fitting a reverse camera, however i am having problems

Let me explain

I have checked the camera on my TV (PAL in hte UK) and it works perfectly

I proceeded to install it as per your above wiring suggestions

Before i completed the installation i checked it my first earthing the pin 17 (blue) to the car body and then putting the car into reverse the picture comes on but it flickers, i have checked everything and re-wired it again, but it continues to flicker!

I then removed pin 13 + 14 (white) and placed them on 15 & 6 (AV input) and the camera worked perfectly, obviously it cannot stay on these pins as when you are moving the TV in motion warning comes on) and also you need to manually check it to.

Therefore can you let me know how can i adjust hte camera to stop the flickering, i think my SAT NAv is Mk3 wide screen with a CD nagivation systems. (E46 M3)

Attachments

#11 ·
Hi !

i got the same issue when i attempted to input a DVD video signal into the reverse camera input.
So, may be that the signal video of the camera is not supported by the TV tuner.

* You have to be ensured that the camera is able to output a PAL video signal.

what are the features of this camera ?

#22 ·
you may be right...being that my camera seems to output a NTSC video signal ...
Doesn't the video module supports both NTSC and PAL standards? I know you can code it with navcoder for example.

Anyway, I'm having the same problem as nah33m. Video module works correctly, it switches to RV camera input when in reverse, but the image is distorted, out of sync. I've tried 2 cheap cameras and two video modules. No winning combination. The cameras were tested before on a TV. What could be the problem? I'm guessing signal incompatibility? Does anybody know the OEM camera signal specs?

#12 · (Edited)
Hi,

The camera is bought was from ebay (link below)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200394535305&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I

Item:BMW E36 E46 E39 E34 E38 REAR VIEW PARKING SENSOR CAMERA

Features:

* product Brand New
* 25mm water proof colour wide angle lens camera with 1.5m cable
* Night vision image black/white
* Build in sensors and waterproof
* PAL video signal output 1.0Vp-p, 75 OHM, effective pixels 628x582
* Works with any monitor or DVD player

It is definitely PAL, like i said when i use (white plug) PIN 15 & 6 the picture is clear (Via TV and selecting AV channel), but i did notice when i ground (Blue) PIN 17 there was an interference which is the same as i get when i use (White) PIN 13 & 14 and Ground (Blue) IN 17........could (Blue) PIN 17 (reverse camera ground) be the problem???

I have not installed the 12v relay, yet as i don't want to do that until i get a clear picture, currently PIN 17 is grounded on the car body (also tried other ground points to see if that clears up the picture but unfortunately this has not worked)..

** one more thing, would the software version (SW 3-1/63 of my SAT/NAV cause a problem? you can see from my pictures that i am running on an older version..if so how do i get an upgrade?)

#13 ·
I don't think that's coming from the nav sofware version, as it's not related to the nav system, tv tuner is the module driving the reverse camera, morever you are able to get a fine picture through the AV input.

You can try to upgrade the nav soft version though ,it's better to have the latest version...

do you have an other external source plugged into the AV pinouts ? (dvd?)
if yes, did you try to remove it ?
do you have a multimeter to pick up the voltage of pin17 to be ensured it's right 0V when reverse shift is engaged?

#14 ·
nothing additional plugged into the TV module,

what is he newer version of sat/nav and how do i get it?

I checked with a multi meter and there is a voltage coming out, see the picture ( i am no expert so not sure if i got the settings correct on the meter).

Note : it is the same reading for both when reverse is engaged and when it is not, but you mentioned i should see 0v..so maybe i have a problem? ..:thanks:

Attachments

#15 ·
if you're getting 5V evertime, it's not good at all !
that's why the tv tuner cannot display properly the reverse camera video.
5V, is in the middle of 0V and 12V, that may explain why screen's flickering!

You must get 0v (ground) when the reverse shift is engaged.

looks like your ground is not good...

try to connect pin 17 to an other earth
eg : ground of the rear tail light.

ps : just saw after that you're getting -5v on the photo !!
did you put the black wire of the multimeter on a ground,and the red wire on the pin 17 ??

#16 ·
Hi,

I put the black on the Pin 17 wire and the red to ground. ( I will try the other way later on an report back), but i think that will give +5v?

previously I changed the ground from the car body to the rear tail light ground, again the same flicker, i also tried on other parts of the body, again the same.

Is there any other PIN i can use for the reverse camera on the blue/white connectors?

#17 ·
Hi,

Ok, so that's normal you're getting -5V, as you inversed black & red wires of the multimeter, as the voltage is the difference of electrical potential of 2 points.

I don't think there are others pins you can use for reverse camera. it's only pin 17.

The aim would be to get 0V on the pin 17.

I really don't understand why you're not getting 0V when you ground the pin17. That's a stupid question, but Are you sure that you wire is ok ?
Did you check whether the continuity (with the multimeter) is ok between the pin 17, and the chassis ? (ground)

#18 ·
ok,
re stripped everything back and started again, i even took the TV module apart to see if there was any problems on the circuit board, unfortunately it still does not work, i still get a ~5v reading when the pin17 is connected, and the flickering on hte monitor.

I am not sure what else to do other than buy another TV module on ebay and see if it releaves the problem, however they cost around £150-200..damn BMW's

#19 ·
I hardly understand that your pin 17 does not become 0v when you ground it to the chassis...

Are you sure that the wire you use to link pin17 and the ground is not cut ? Did you check the continuity of the wire with the multimeter between the 2 opposite points ?

I have a last suggestion for you.

Try to link pin17 to pin 10 or pin11 or pin12 of the blue connector (they are grounds of the tv module)

#23 ·
After have got a lot of pm messages about the installation i did for the reverse camera, here is a electrical diagram of the relay to be installed to display the reverse camera video on the nav screen when reverse shift is engaged, hope that's clear.

ps : i'm sorry, i promised a DIY but i forgot, and now all is already mounted. cannot take photos anymore ^^ but someone needs help, post a reply there, and I or someone else would be pleased to reply.

#26 ·
#28 ·
My car is Euro Spec (PAL). The US models need NTSC or do the Euro model need NTSC too?

#29 ·
My car is a EURO spec as well but it require NTSC reverse camera. First I bought PAL camera it didnt work - image flikers but when I changed it to NTSC type, it works perfectly. Please read the 8th or 9th post before this to confirm.

#30 ·
Ok I will try it with my pal Camera and report back! As i already have a PAL camera i dont mind trying it out.

#32 ·
I will try it ASAP but it wont be very soon as my car is going in for TMS subframe kit and some nice maintenance so i'll be busy doing that ;)

#34 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure from what I've read that a dedicated reverse camers needs to be NTSC otherwise you'll get the flicker you're experiencing.
As zbi701 mentioned.........
Make sure you buy NTSC camera. The video module input only accept NTSC signal (dedicated for Reverse Camera). The other AV input is for video (to watch movies) which can be configured for PAL/NTSC or SECAM.

#35 ·
Yeah i sent back my PAL camera and waitnig to get my NTSC camera shipepd back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.