E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Bluetooth, streaming music through bluetooth and Iphone connection

24K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Archbid 
#1 ·
Hello-
I purchased the Dice mediabridge 1500 and I just installed it. There is a loud ticking when text is scrolling and the bluetooth says "phone linked" whenever I switch songs or do anything on my phone. It is like it disconnects the bluetooth and reconnects all the time. Is there a better solution to the Dice? Please let me know becuase I really want to return this. I want bluetooth through the steering wheel controls, streaming music from iphone through bluetooth and using steering wheel controls, etc. Basically everything the dice does, but without all the bugs i comes with. Thanks

#2 ·
Not sure this is a better solution, but it is an option.

Make or buy yourself an Aux input cable for your head unit.

http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-A...=1355660775&sr=8-1&keywords=bmw+E46+aux+input

Then buy one of the Belkin units. Supports A2DP, Bluetooth hands free phone calls and you can skip and pause music with the device.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Blueto...=8-3&keywords=belkin+bluetooth+music+receiver

Issues to be aware of -

1. you probably want to power the unit from the radio or switched power so it stays on when you turn the car off but goes to sleep or shut off when the radio shuts off. Also this will kill the BT connection when you leave the car. I was somewhere yesterday and I was hanging outside the car, BT still connected, however, my phone still rings and when I answered the call I could not hear, took me a moment to realize the BT link was still active.

2. you have to push the button to resycn the phone each time you enter the car.

3. If you are not listening to the Aux source like Pandora or a playlist, if a phone call comes in it will not mute your current audio from the radio or CD player. Most phones will ring anyway when BT is connected so you will need to pay attention, then bring up Aux on your head unit to use the hand free connection.

#3 ·
I have the DICE Bluetooth mediabridge and I am extremely happy with it. It actually made me look forward to driving my car again. The ticking you hear can be eliminated by turning off the scroll feature or by shortening a set of wires behind the radio. There is a DIY somewhere here for that. Also, you can change the announcement settings in the unit so it doesn't annoy you with the British accent.

There really isn't any other good option besides the Bluetooth mediabridge for the features you're looking for. There are combinations of other systems, but I have to say I am satisfied with my mediabridge. Try reseating the main connector on yours as well. One big feature I like about my mediabridge is that once I start the car, my phone instantly connects and I have full control through the steering wheel.

#8 ·
There are plenty of other aftermarket stereos with Bluetooth linking to the iPhone. The iPhone should link automatically every time the unit is powered on, with these units. There are also device interface's that will let you hook up your steering wheel controls to most aftermarket stereos, as long as the stereo has that capability built in. The easiest way to get advice on this would be to call Crutchfield. You don't necessarily have to buy from them, you can just take their advice, and buy elsewhere. I found that Amazon usually has lower prices than Crutchfield on most units.
BTW - February is the best month for buying this sort of stuff, since the new models are released at CES, which just wrapped up. You can get a good deal on last years models, which are usually no different on features, they just update the looks.

#10 · (Edited)
I don't want a new head unit. I'm looking for things similar to the Belkin. There is another one called a Tunelink that does a similar thing. I already have an aux input so I'm basically looking for solutions to wire into that and a 12v source.

No. The price is $74.99 BEFORE adding a $50 bluetooth dongle. My total was $125 which includes bluetooth.

The Belkin Bluetooth module on Amazon is $70.
That's not too bad then.

#11 · (Edited)
**** I just found this post:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=423044

Apparently you can just buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QIXSVM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?tag=citofgamonlco-20

My car is equipped for the iPod so I can just plug this into the cord. HAHAHAH AMAZING! Now I forget if I uninstalled the iPod thing when I put in my aux cable. I hope I didn't!

EDIT: If this link expires, the product is simply a small adapater that plugs into an Apple 30 pin connector and makes it bluetooth!

#13 ·
I just ordered this:

Patuoxun Bluetooth A2DP Music Audio Receiver Adapter for 30-Pin iPod iPhone Dock Speaker

and this:

Scosche passPORT Charging Adapter for iPod and iPhone

My car has the OEM iPod connector installed. This adapter was made before Apple switched it's devices to the USB charging format (old was firewire). Therefore, the current adapter won't power this bluetooth adapter that was made for the USB charging iPhone 3G and up. So you use this charging adapter so the BT adapter can get power. This is going to be incredible.

#15 · (Edited)
E46 iPhone 5 Bluetooth

I am reporting back on my experiment. I have installed the items from my post above. It works perfectly. The audio quality is quite good and comparable to the aux in hard wire. Here's a picture of the ridiculously simple setup. It took less than 30 seconds.

I should add that steering wheel controls don't work. At least not in pandora. I haven't used the "music" app yet.

#19 ·
FWIW, My recommendation is to stay away from the Mediabridge. (Actually now its the "Audiovox; driven by Dice Electronics Mediabridge) I've had 3 in the last year and all three have failed in way way or the other. The first one lasted @ 2-3 months before it crapped out and the other two had issues right away (Only one channel worked, would not pair, etc.

I was in a local car stereo shop in Portland last week looking for other options to have bluetooth and to integrate with the steering wheel controls. I noticed they were an Audiovox dealer and was surprised the sales guy never mentioned or suggested the Mediabridge. The owner came over and said he had sold 6 units and ended up "buying back" 4 of them.

#22 ·
Miccus+aux-in = cheap A2DP with stock/existing radio

if you want to keep your OEM/current radio and still get A2DP you can do this for $40 or so (plus an aux in adapter for your radio if you don't have one):
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...n/239729-bluetooth-streaming-audio-cheap.html

you need an aux input on your radio
miccus bluetooth adapter
power source for USB

you can hide everything pretty easily. unit auto pairs when powered on.

#23 ·
#24 · (Edited)
FYI, I tried the Patuoxun Bluetooth adapter with the Scosche power adapter, but it did not work. However, I have a slight variation from WDE46's set up. He mentions that he has an OEM iPod connector hooked up to his radio. It turns out, mine is probably not OEM. Instead it is a PA12-BMW (http://www.amazon.com/USASPEC-PA12-BMW-iPod-Interface-Display/dp/B000SKUBWE). Unfortunately the adapters do not work with this unit. (Unless I am doing something wrong). The Bluetooth adapter gets power (with or without the Scosche plugged in), my iPhone 5 can pair with it no problem. However the BMW radio says "NO MAGAZINE". So there is no way for it to kick on and play music.

Just wanted to post so that if you are looking into doing this for your car, it may not work if you have the same set up as I do.

Bluetooth adapter and power adapter:

No Magazine Message:

My iPod hook up:

#25 ·
FYI, I tried the Patuoxun Bluetooth adapter with the Scosche power adapter, but it did not work......
How do you have the dip switches on your PA-12 set? I have mine so all control is through the iPod/iPhone and no text on the radio. In that mode, CD #5 sets the unit to the 30 pin input, CD #6 sets it to the RCA Aux. Try pressing #5 and see if that works.

I have the USA-SPEC PA-12 and recently purchased the BrightPlay - 30 Pin Bluetooth Audio Receiver http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1K6D5Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works without needing that power adapter thing. It does not allow track control from the wheel/stereo, and the bluetooth connection needs to be established each time you start the car (sometimes you need to unplug the Bright receiver and reconnect it.) If you get your Patuoxun to work with steering wheel control please let me know. I was just about to buy one to try, but I will hold off until I hear that it works. Also, if anyone has one that automatically pairs when starting the car, please let me know.

I have also tried this receiver through my PA-12

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QIXSVM/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would only play for a few seconds at a time before cutting out (the music would still be playing on my phone)

#26 ·
Thanks edlvrt,

I will give it a try by pushing #5. I didn't do install myself so I am not sure about the dip switches, but i will check it out and let you know. (Ill see if the wheel controls work too)

#27 ·
When you have your iPod/Phone plugged in, do you control the playlists by pressing buttons 1-4 for different playlists (the unit should give you song info on the radio display), or do you control the iPod like normal (radio display shows "iPod", not track info)? Mine is set up to control songs from iPod directly.

#29 · (Edited)
BT Adapter

Edlvrt,

When I plug in my ipod i can control it with the steering wheel and/or by pressing 1-4 on different playlists. It shows the song title on the unit. The ipod itself does not respond to any button presses on it.

m

----

Very interesting...after you mentioned the "dips" I did some research and found this pdf that explains set ups.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/faa566a65365282e8f2d5071adeaae39

I will check out what my adapter is set to and change the settings to see if the BT adapter will work.

Thanks

#28 ·
#32 ·
Switches Update

Finally got around to finding where the ipod module was. (It was installed in a funky place, took apart front console to realize I did not need to, but had to do it to follow the wire and find where it was)....Anyway....

I was able to change the switches to 1. OFF 2. ON 3. ON 4. ON.

This gave me complete control of the ipod in "direct" mode. Wheel controls still worked too. So I thought, great, this will allow the bluetooth adapter to work. Unfortunately no luck. When I plugin the BT adapter it says "No CD".

I did not have time to try switches in 1. ON 2. OFF 3. ON 4. ON position. I will try that next weekend, but don't have to much hope. Looks like http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_...one_adapter_-_behind_the_radio_connector.html may be the way to go.

#31 ·
I really don't understand why you folks don't just swap that POS factory unit for something like http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR840B/JVC-KD-R840BT.html?tp=5684

Adjustable colors to match e46 interior colors perfectly and has all the bluetooth streaming/voice features as well as a ton of other features that are not available on a stock unit. Sure is a lot cheaper than the methods you guys are using.

My unit is a bit older than the one I posted but regardless the colors match perfectly to stock interior colors and no one can tell that the head unit isn't stock unless they already know what the stock unit looks like.

The amount of hassle I see people going through to get bluetooth streaming on stock unit is ridiculous and in the end looks a lot less OEM than the setup I described.

If resale is an issue just keep your damn OEM stereo and put it back in when you sell the car.

#33 · (Edited)
Finally!

Final update!

I was finally able to get my iphone 5 to stream using the Patuoxun BT adapter (no schosche needed).

I set the PA12 to the first and second pin/din to ON, all of the rest to OFF.

Then on my bmw radio, i pressed the "5" cd and audio comes through.

Thanks all of you for your help, hope this helps someone in the future.

#35 ·
Edlvrt,

I will test these two things on my drive to work in the morning and report back.

(Regarding the connecting to the adapter, i had no problem connecting automatically, but i was not really testing for that...was just happy that it worked...anyway, will have a definite answer tomorrow morning)

#36 · (Edited)
Wheel Controls

edlvrt,

This is what found out this morning:

1. Automatically connected to iLink (that is what my adapter is called). No need to re-pair
****UPDATE*****
On my way home from work I had to make a pit stop. Unfortunately, if you leave the adapter plugged in and then you come back to the car, in order for it to kick in again you must disconnect and connect it again. The iphone then connects with no problem. (I think this is what you were running into...annoying...but at least wireless BT connection works)

2. Only the volume works on the wheel control. But next and prev does not work. (Neither does it work on the radio itself) To go to the next track I had to do it directly from the phone. (In my case the Pandora App and/or PodCast App)

Hope that helps,

Matias

#39 ·
Sounds to me like too many issues and not enough functionality. I'd just buy the Eonon E46 head unit for $300 or so and be done with it. There's also the Dynavin, but that's about twice as much. Both head units, (7" DVD/GPS) allow full control with steering wheel when using iPhone and/or Pandora, connected via BT.

Sent from NSA Tracking Device

#40 ·
Sounds to me like too many issues and not enough functionality. I'd just buy the Eonon E46 head unit for $300 or so and be done with it. There's also the Dynavin, but that's about twice as much. Both head units, (7" DVD/GPS) allow full control with steering wheel when using iPhone and/or Pandora, connected via BT.
It's funny - there really are different profiles of owners. I'm perfectly happy to dig around to get things working, but I basically want to keep the stock interior. The Dynavin and Eonon are fine, but they desperately need to hire US-quality UI designers. The interfaces (to me) are just too ugly, and great product design is amazingly hard.

And I see the two profiles all the time. People like you think I'm insane, and I probably am, but we just have a different relationship with the car. Both are probably equally (un)healthy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.