E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Cold start

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jonathanbmwm3 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm the new owner of a 99 328se.
At the moment it seems to struggle from cold starting, slighty miss firing, and occasionally cutting out. But when it is warmed up runs perfectly. Just wondering if any one has had the problem or could point me in the right direction? It idles fine but whenunder a bit of load say when pulling off I think it is missing ever so slightly and feels a bit jerky. Thanks, Stuart.

#3 · (Edited)
The car is getting old (still good, don't worry), so what you need to do is to start taking care of her. Devise a plan to bring her back to shape one section at a time. Start with the intake- you can go ahead and order the intake elbow boot btw- don't ask, just do it :) Proceed by cleaning the disa(while checking it) the icv and the throtle body in one simple task ...

As you progress your symptom will gradually disapear.

Your cold start, could be a vacuum leak (intake elbow) spark plugs .... some have mentioned VANOS seals being worn etc ...

#4 ·
The car is getting old (still good, don't worry), so what you need to do is to start taking care of her. Devise a plan to bring her back to shape one section at a time. Start with the intake- you can go ahead and order the intake elbow boot btw- don't ask, just do it :) Proceed by cleaning the disa(while checking it) the icv and the throtle body in one simple task ...

As you progress your symptom will gradually disapear.

Your cold start, could a vacuum leak (intak elbow) spark plugs .... some have mentioned VANOS seals being worn etc ...
Thanks for replies, might be being a bit thick, but what is the ucv, and disa? I have heard about the vanos seals also, what do they do? Thanks again greatly appreciated.

#5 ·
Start by checking the hoses associated with the Secondary Air Pump...large black canister on rt. side of engine (sitting in car) has a 1" d hose about a foot long to a small silver canister below valve cover in front which has a little hose leaving it and heading back.

If either hose is cracked, you'll get those symptoms. I replaced my large hose and put RTV on the crack on the little one (awaiting formal repair).

Also, squeeze hose--if mushy or soft, replace and check inside silver valve for built up gunk and clean out as best you can.

SAP only runs for about 1-2 mins. while car is warming up then shuts off...and sounds like it'd be a likely source...though not, of course, definately your issue.

HTH

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.