E46 Fanatics Forum banner

USA SPEC PA12-BMW no audio

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  raysterm3 
#1 ·
Hi! As the title reads, I installed the unit on my car and everything worked out fine except for one problem. I have no audio. My CD, am/fm and everything else worksand the UI works fine to. The device reads my iPod perfectly, just no sound.

U called there tech support and they told me my CD changer audio probably isn't plugged in on the headunit and i checked everything and it seems like there are no extra plugs.

I have a 2000 323i with business cd, no mode/cd changer but pre-wired. I'm running everything OEM.

Any help would be great.

#3 ·
I just installed mine last week. I got a bad unit at first, but Amazon was quick to replace as I just sent back the bad one and ordered a new one. I had no sound as well and my head unit just said disabled when the pa12 was plugged in. Dose it work with the spec unplugged? Did you disconnect your battery before you plugged in the spec? Did you try another iPod/iPhone? Did you get the right DSP or Non-DSP model for your car? I would suspect that if the HU can read the iPod info and the iPod is plugged in, it should play audio. I trouble shooted the crap out of the first spec unit I got because I was really excited when I got it and then disappointed that It didn't work. The only time I got my HU to not display "disabled" and got it to read the iPod, I also had no sound. I think disconnecting your battery before installation is crucial for it working properly. When my new unit came in it worked right away. Disconnected my battery, connected the CD changer cables, hooked my ipod up to it and it worked right away. If all else fails, I'd return it within the warranty allowance period and get a new unit.

#4 ·
I read all this and I pretty much have similar problems. Only thing I can think of is the battery, I forgot to disconnect it...

I have an E46 so DSP is out, I did not try another iPod but I did try the RCA AUX cable. I really wish this came with instructions, I pretty much just read "Plug into CD changer plugs in trunk", nothing about the battery disconnecting. I'm pretty sure thats it.

Did you purchase the divice off amazon for $119 from audio kraze? How long did it take to return and receive the unit?

#5 ·
I did buy it from audio kraze on amazon. I have amazon prime so it only took two days to ship. Delmarco has a DIY on installing the spec on here. I didn't read anywhere on the instructions that came with the unit that said to unplug the battery, but Delmarco highly recommended it. I should have known better though from installing several amps in the past, you always disconnect the battery when you wire the amp up and plug it in on the very last step. The instructions that came with it were very vague imho.

#6 ·
To be honest, there were no instructions on how to plug it in on mine. All it said was to plug it into the 6 cd changer port located in the left hand side of the trunk. I already comtacted them and they said they're going to send me a new unit. Hopefully this works out and I do everything correctly.

#9 ·
Quick update, I just got my new unit in and installed it remembering to unplug the battery and everything, still no sound... I'm out of options and this just gave me an idea that my car stereo might be bad. I'm just thinking about taking it to a shop to get it looked at. Thanks for all the help.

#12 ·
Bump to this thread, I am having the same problem.

Hey Gurus,

I just installed the USA-SPEC PA 12 Unit onto my vehicle but I am getiting no audio. The car is able to read the unit but create playlists but no audio is coming out. I suspect it is a problem with the radio unit and I found that the wiring for the iPod is not plugged in on the radio unit. I can't find where the plug for the iPod wire plugs into, am I suppose to unplug something?

Here are some pics.

Gurus, if you are out there, Please advise!

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.