E46 Fanatics Forum banner
734K views 6K replies 680 participants last post by  LivesNearCostco 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been debating doing this for a while now. And, I'm kind of tired of the "I hate cops" threads. Have you ever wondered why a cop gave you the ticket rather than someone else? Is this mod or that mod legal? What would a cop do if he saw this or that happen on the road? As many of you know, or have been able to figure out, I'm an Officer with the California Highway Patrol (It is, therefore, my primary job to give tickets, take drunks to jail, and write-up accident reports). I've been doing the job for about three years, which doesn't make me an expert. I figure that it would be nice to allow you guys to "pick me brains" on stuff. I'd like to be able to answer questions that you guys have about certain situations, and what not.

Keep in mind that some of these answers are MY opinion, not those of the department, or even other Officers. Even if you do what I suggest, you might still get a ticket, or go to jail. There will have to be rules, though. Here they are:

Main rules are these --

1) RESPECT -- I'm not going to put on my flame suit, anyone that's going to post in this thread SHALL be respectful to me, and other Officers. Anyone who is not, won't get a reply. Call anyone with a shiny piece of metal on their chest a "Pig", and you won't get a reply.
2) HONESTY -- Be honest about what happened, and how you reacted. What you, and the Officer said.
3) BE NICE -- Not following this is the most important. Foul language SHALL be kept to a minimum! If you can't express your anger without first calming down and using adult words, then I have no room for you in my life.

Others are things along these lines --

1) Questions about Vehicle Code SHALL be in regards to California laws only! I don't work in other states, and therefore have no knowledge of their laws. If you bring up a law in another state, you have to post the law in question. Even then, I would only have limited knowledge in regards to it.
2) You can ask me what I would do in a given situation, but don't expect other Officers to do the same.
3) Other Officers can post replies to questions, but everyone SHALL follow the two primary rules.
4) I enforce the law, I don't write the law. If you have a problem with how a law is written, this isn't the place to air your concern.
5) After I turn the ticket in, I have limited knowledge on how to deal with it. My knowledge is limited to what I have encountered in my own experiences with getting tickets (yes, I do get them from time to time).

Questions about the CHP might be able to be answered on the Departments website www.chp.ca.gov

With all this in mind, let's see how this thread goes. I'll try to answer questions as best, and as quickly as I can. I don't have the ability to spend hours upon hours each day on these forums, so I might not be able to answer things right away.

See less See more
#2,027 ·
Seriously? :banghead:One year, you're telling me its still valid if he turned it in 7 months later:tsk:? wow I'll keep checking for the next few weeks, but after that I want to know if I can request the judge to dismiss the ticket if it does get in because, if I remember correctly, there is a clause that guarantees the right of the defendant to a fair and speedy trial, and one year isn't exactly fast. Hopefully the officer realizes that there are a few inconsistency in his writeup. For one, how fast he told me he was going and what was written on the citation was the same so that was wrong. Then theres the fact he cited me going towards the opposite direction of the freeway sure doesn't make his case any stronger. I won't be an ass and request it after only a few weeks, probably a month or so. What do you think about my possibility of petitioning to have the ticket thrown out on that basis?

#2,029 ·
I have a feeling that if the courts felt 1 year was too long, that provision would have been changed to allow a shorter window of time. The issue could be with the officer not turning the cite in, or it could be that the agency he works for has misplaced it or is really behind on processing cites. Either way, if you haven't heard from them yet, chances are that it won't surface, so I'd just hurry up and wait for now if I was you.

#2,036 · (Edited)
i just realized something hella ironic...the reason i was speeding at times during that drive back (although never even above 90 like the cop said so..i believe i was going approximately 80mph at the time the cop pulled me over) was because i had 8 am training for my first job the next day & i wanted to get back early enough to norcal so i could rest & not be tired. but now, basically all the money that i'm earning from this job (it's only temporary) is going to be going to pay for this ticket :bawling::bawling:

also...i just remembered something really strange. while i was driving, i looked in my rearview mirror & saw the cop behind me, but i didn't think h ewould pull me over since i wasn't speeding that much. the guy next to me was going much faster. i was going in the left lane, and then i believe he turned on his lights, but then actually changed into the right lane after a few seconds.

at first, i thought he was pulling the guy next to me over since he was going faster than me, but the car ended up just driving away, & after a good while, the cop still had his lights on but in the lane next to me & behind me a bit, so i just got scared & pulled over. afterwards, him & his partner got out of the car & kind of went behind their car & talked for a good 5 minutes :hmm: does this usually happen?

#2,039 ·
NO...color is rarely an issue unless a cop swears he was pacing a white car but it turns out it was red. I know at night I have trouble seeing exact colors when on dark streets (dark blues, blacks and greens often run together) so I probably write the wrong color all the time...

Anyway, as long as the license plate #, make and model are correct, a slight difference in the color perception is no biggie...

#2,043 ·
SF wasn't that much better with tops hitting 90. Lucky I was driving my gf's SLK and that ticket I got, it was on my gf's slk. I swear I was going to get a speeding tix on my M3 first, but I ended up getting a ticket doing 110 on her slk top down instead. :idea:

#2,045 ·
Hello........... I have a question to anyone who might know the answer to this on this thread...

I have just completed an online traffic school course and have the paper that was mailed to me to mail to the traffic court.

My question is can I just go down to the court house and hand them this paper in person or do I really have to mail it to them? I ask this because it says they need it by the 10th which is this coming monday and I don't know if they will get it in time if I mail it today?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

#2,046 ·
Most online traffic schools also fax a copy of your completion slip to the court directly, so I'd see if they've already done that. Otherwise, I assume you could go to the traffic window at the courthouse you were cited out to and show proof of completion... If it happened in LA County, you can check lasuperiorcourt.org and see if they've received/processed the completion yet.

#2,053 ·
how long do i have to get a fix it ticket signed off? today marks 3 weeks.. i just cant find any cops!!.. haha.. and its odd too cause i live right next to campus and i used to see them chillin by 7-11 and parking lots all the time.. past couple days i havent spotted one.. so yea.. how long do i have to get it signed off?

#2,054 ·
As long as you correct the violation right away, just need it signed off and in by the date indicated on your citation. You can always contact the court and get that date extended as well if you'd like.

As far as having officers in the field sign it off, I know that my department has you go to the station, where you pay a $15 fee and get a secondary correction certificate for your records.

Not sure that you want to stop an officer in the field and bother them with it unless you're sure they'll do it. Otherwise do to a local CHP station or call your local police agency and see if they'll sign it off for you at the station.

#2,055 ·
Does anybody know if it's illegal in CA to cut through a gas station to make a right turn instead of turning at the light? There is another thread in the General off topic forum about this and someone said it's legal in CA.:hmm: Is this true? I thought it was illegal in every state for some reason.

#2,058 ·
I got pulled over over the weekend. Officer never gave me a reason as to why he pulled me over, even though I asked. Anyway, he popped my hood and ticketed me for intake/no front plate. No biggie there, but I didn't have my insurance card on me (my dad took it out earlier in the day with my owner's manual.. doh). Anyway, I got nailed for no insurance. I don't have the time to go to my court date (I'll be in school a few hundred miles away.)

I read the CVC and it says I can take care of it via mail. What's the procedure on this? What do I need to include in my written request?

#2,059 ·
Due to the fact that you need to present proof of insurance coverage (had to be valid at the time of the stop), I think you have to go to court. Why not just extend the date once or twice until you can make it?

#2,064 ·
Here is the vehicle code section/subsection regarding the violation. Seems odd the guy wouldn't have turned it in yet.

22348cvc
(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed
greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction
punishable, as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by
a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may
also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle
for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

#2,070 ·
Don't know if this has been asked or not, but I don't feel like looking through 100+ pages.

If you get a ticket in say...New York and your residence is in California and was driving with a CA license, can they still process and collect on the ticket? Speed ticket to be exact.

What if you don't pay it, will anything happen?

:eeps:

#2,071 ·
When you are in another state, you are subject to their vehicle code. So, you can absolutely get a ticket in NY and they can process and collect it no matter what state you are from. Like all tickets that go uncollected, they can go to warrant. Chances are, however, that NY wouldn't put them into the systems nationally, and you'd only have a problem if you were in NY again and got stopped or someone ran your I.D. for some reason and found the warrant.

#2,072 ·
Ok so I have a question that is totally not related to speeding or tickets at all.....

On my way to work everyday I pass by a middle school, and almost everyday there is a black and white in the parking lot.

I remember that when I was in high school there was sometimes a police officer assigned to our school. I never paid much attention to what he did there or even saw him except the one time I was caught with my wallet chain at school........... and yes I have long ago given up that skater/punk look thank you... LOL

Do any of you officers of the law know about these positions at the schools? What do they do all day? Are they permanently assigned to that school or do they also cruise the street like all the other black and whites do? Do any of the officers that get these jobs get made fun of for having to deal with kids all day long?

Just curious as I pass by that school everyday...........

#2,074 ·
For us at LASD, we have deputies assigned to schools. Its just like any other assignment you may work in the department. Your primary role is to investigate ongoing criminal issues on campus, to provide a good presence, surpress criminal activities, provide intelligence to deputies working in the surrounding area etc.

#2,075 ·
Hey guys, first of all, I have to say I love the idea of this thread. I think the concept of people being able to talk and question police like normal people is cool, as opposed to the usual way of communicating with an officer by giving them your license after being caught speeding.

So I have a question, and I was wondering if anyone could help. I bought my car a little over a year ago that was advertised as having been in no accident and having a clear title, as well as a clear title according to carfax and BMW. But it turns out that my car was in a very, very, bad crash. Right now I'm dealing with some transmission problems related to that. Is there anything worth doing or to get any money back? My feeling is that there is nothing I can do because it is over a year.

#2,078 ·
Hey guys, first of all, I have to say I love the idea of this thread. I think the concept of people being able to talk and question police like normal people is cool, as opposed to the usual way of communicating with an officer by giving them your license after being caught speeding.
Thank you! And it was kind of the idea behind the thread in the first place.

So I have a question, and I was wondering if anyone could help. I bought my car a little over a year ago that was advertised as having been in no accident and having a clear title, as well as a clear title according to carfax and BMW. But it turns out that my car was in a very, very, bad crash. Right now I'm dealing with some transmission problems related to that. Is there anything worth doing or to get any money back? My feeling is that there is nothing I can do because it is over a year.
I don't know if there's anything that you can do. When you say very, very bad crash that leads me to think that the car was almost totaled. Which should have showed up on a carfax report. I would suggest calling the place where you bought the car from and seeing what they say. Other than that, talk to a liar, oops, I mean lawyer.

On a side note (not a personal attack; just an observation), it seems as though no one knows how to inspect a car on their own anymore. No one knows how to check for damage, etc. It used to be that you could always find out stuff like this on your own. Using magnets and what not to check for body filler. Stuff like that...

#2,076 ·
Frobie/OHCM3:

A somewhat different subject:

What is the legality of carrying a machete, sword (?), or other long blade? I ask 'cause where we go hiking (San Gabriel mountains, FWIW) there are mountain lions and other critters -- including the possibility of, shall we say, shady characters -- and I'd like some defense/deterrent available to me.

If it's not legal, then what can I, as a law-abiding citizen, do to protect myself -- or is California law so screwed up it's time to start the revolution? :)

Thanks!

#2,079 ·
What is the legality of carrying a machete, sword (?), or other long blade? I ask 'cause where we go hiking (San Gabriel mountains, FWIW) there are mountain lions and other critters -- including the possibility of, shall we say, shady characters -- and I'd like some defense/deterrent available to me.
As far as I know it's legal. It just has to be in plain view (in a sheath on your belt with your shirt tucked in). I always carry a small folding pocket knife. In the event of an attack by a critter, it'll do enough damage. In the event of said shady character, it'll ward them off as much as a large blade.

#2,077 ·
Great thread frobie15! Recently I went to the Cal State Fullerton job fair and talked to various county police, sheriff and highway patrol and was convinced into making a career change (thinking of city of orange police academy). I dont know if the tests are same for CHP and PD prior to getting into the police academy, if they are is there any books you recommend reading before I take the test? And could I PM you more questions if I have any? Thanks! :hi:

#2,080 ·
I can only really help you with the hiring process of the HP since it's the only one that I've gone through. As far as books to read/study. I believe there are a couple out there. Just go to Border's or B&N and ask/look around for them.

#2,085 ·
So last month I was pulled over and got a $75 ticket for no registration, but that same day is when I got my new sticker/tag for my license plate but the registration had not come yet in the mail. I have the registration now and tomorrow is my court date. Will the ticket be dropped upon showing proof of registration?

#2,089 ·
So you did have valid registration at the time you were stopped, but didn't have proof...Should just need to submit proof and pay and admin fee. Go to the traffic window at the court and see if they can take care of it for you there...

#2,090 ·
I dunno how CA's laws are, but we have to put a valid sticker on our tags on the lower right hand corner with the last two digits of the year. So I had my 08 sticker put on that day when I met my mom at the doctor(I'm in college and had a doctor's appointment in another city). But apparently, the registration was also on the paper that the sticker was, but I was careless and my mom didn't realize the new registration was on there. Anyway, I had the current registration that day but not with me. Officer was nice, though, and offered to 'work something out if I showed up.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.