E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SMG operations

844 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Zytgiest 
#1 ·
Anyone able to point me at, or give me a non technical outline of how the SMG works and how it's used in day to day sense.

#2 ·
simplest way to put it, it is exactly like the 6speed in m3 except the clutch and gear is machine actuated. It is not an auto-manual or step tronic; it will roll on even slightest incline if you let go of your gas and dont step on brake, just like a manual. It matches revs like a manual. Even in auto mode (for which it was never really intended) the shifts are so jerky you never use it.

#3 ·
SMG.com or SMGll.com I cant remember which has all the info you will ever need

#5 ·
they are essentially same as smg in m3 except the gear change isnt as fast and less programms to choose from. If smg stayed true to the original design (they must have since they still have step tronic) the auto mode is, as I mentioned above, nothing like step tronic auto, very uncomfortable to drive in auto in smg. Reverse is simply left all the way and up. No park in smg, since it's not auto, just a hand brake like manual.

#8 ·
I just posted a review of the Z4 3.0 SMG that I drove recently. That should help you out a little.

Z4 3.0 SMG review

#9 ·
just think of the smg2 as

a 6 speed stick with no clutch pedal the computor does the shifts for you. but you have to move the lever to next gear up or down
because if you don't it will over rev.and also you can shift with padals on the steerling wheel to

you also get a 5 speed auto. to..

and reverse is to the left and foward or top left of the pattern.

with no park gear to. you leave it in o for neut. and use the emerg. brake to park the car. the car is more like a stick than a auto.

but a kool feature is you can switch from stick to auto. with a push to the right on the stick shift.
i look at it as the best of both worlds in one car stick and auto together.
bobm3 ;) ;)

#10 ·
The EMC "should" prevent Over-reving, it will do one of those Pit lane speed limmiter things, still not too good on the motor, but should save it.

Also at any time, if you are driving the SMG, you either pull one of the "Paddles", or upshift/downshift with the stick it will revert instantaneously to "S" mode.
you can also push right as bobm3 says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.