E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Strange noise from rear shocks

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  euG! 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

In August, I had my struts and shocks replaced. I purchased the parts myself (Bilstein HD set from tunermotorsport.com, with spring pads and shock mounts). Ever since I had them installed, when going over bumps the back makes a sort of clunking noise that it never made before. The handling is improved, and accelerating/braking/turning are fine (no noise). Just going over bumps. Is it crappy shock mounts that came with the kit? If so, can these be easily changed to stock BMW mounts?

#3 ·
I don't know the condition of the rear sway bar links. The RTAB, to my knowledge, are the originals. When I had the work done, I told the guys to take care of anything that was worn out and they didn't mention anything.

Before I changed the shocks, though, everything was normal (except I could tell they were worn out by the ride).

How much do the sway bar links and RTAB's cost?

#4 · (Edited)
I have the same issue. I start hearing clunking noise after I got new suspensions.
Noise only occurs under 30mph on light-heavy bumpy surfaces.

I just got a set of UUC RTAB for below $65. Will have them installed next week.

FYI, I changed the RSMs but clunking noise remains. I know one of my Rear Sway bar links is slightly bent since years ago, but I never bothered to change them. I will do the RTABs first and let you know the result. And These bushings including Subframe bushings are not easy to inspect unless you actually take them apart, then you might see some cracks on them.

#5 ·
I just had the UUC RTABs installed last night. The clunking noise is still there.
But the RTABs did make a different in handling.

I might try to tighten all the bolts under the car and see what's up.
I suspect its the differential bushing that is bad. =/

#7 ·
I have the same problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled the rear struts, tightened rear sway links and still have clunking. Is it possible that bad subframe bushings could cause the clunking?

#8 ·
I felt the different with the new RTABs when i went on twisty roads.
But I think the car got bumpier on uneven surfaces.

I might tighten all the bolts on the bushings to try.

Beside the RTABs, I also changed the Rear sway bar links and the clunking noise is still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.