E46 Fanatics Forum banner
734K views 6K replies 680 participants last post by  LivesNearCostco 
#1 ·
Okay, I've been debating doing this for a while now. And, I'm kind of tired of the "I hate cops" threads. Have you ever wondered why a cop gave you the ticket rather than someone else? Is this mod or that mod legal? What would a cop do if he saw this or that happen on the road? As many of you know, or have been able to figure out, I'm an Officer with the California Highway Patrol (It is, therefore, my primary job to give tickets, take drunks to jail, and write-up accident reports). I've been doing the job for about three years, which doesn't make me an expert. I figure that it would be nice to allow you guys to "pick me brains" on stuff. I'd like to be able to answer questions that you guys have about certain situations, and what not.

Keep in mind that some of these answers are MY opinion, not those of the department, or even other Officers. Even if you do what I suggest, you might still get a ticket, or go to jail. There will have to be rules, though. Here they are:

Main rules are these --

1) RESPECT -- I'm not going to put on my flame suit, anyone that's going to post in this thread SHALL be respectful to me, and other Officers. Anyone who is not, won't get a reply. Call anyone with a shiny piece of metal on their chest a "Pig", and you won't get a reply.
2) HONESTY -- Be honest about what happened, and how you reacted. What you, and the Officer said.
3) BE NICE -- Not following this is the most important. Foul language SHALL be kept to a minimum! If you can't express your anger without first calming down and using adult words, then I have no room for you in my life.

Others are things along these lines --

1) Questions about Vehicle Code SHALL be in regards to California laws only! I don't work in other states, and therefore have no knowledge of their laws. If you bring up a law in another state, you have to post the law in question. Even then, I would only have limited knowledge in regards to it.
2) You can ask me what I would do in a given situation, but don't expect other Officers to do the same.
3) Other Officers can post replies to questions, but everyone SHALL follow the two primary rules.
4) I enforce the law, I don't write the law. If you have a problem with how a law is written, this isn't the place to air your concern.
5) After I turn the ticket in, I have limited knowledge on how to deal with it. My knowledge is limited to what I have encountered in my own experiences with getting tickets (yes, I do get them from time to time).

Questions about the CHP might be able to be answered on the Departments website www.chp.ca.gov

With all this in mind, let's see how this thread goes. I'll try to answer questions as best, and as quickly as I can. I don't have the ability to spend hours upon hours each day on these forums, so I might not be able to answer things right away.

See less See more
#127 ·
frobie15 said:
Maybe I should lead by example and practice what I preach. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world.
frobie15 said:
And, you're not going to want to hear this, but; most cops do not write other cops tickets (for speeding or otherwise). Cars look better with tinted windows, so most cops can get away with it. Is it BS? Maybe. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em

Ok.. theres some pretty bad excuses lately for what cops should/shouldn't do. Now I really dont know what to think when I get pulled over. Why the hell should I get a ticket when the police, the almighty law of the road, can excuse themselves and other officers from what is WRONG. I can see this happening with murder or theft... I think you should rethink your answers, because now I have an even more negative view of officers and the police.

if you cant beat 'em join 'em...
are you SERIOUS? what kind of excuse is that?
dont officers join the force to protect and serve? and not to get out of tickets...?

frobie15 said:
Like I've said, I speed both on and off duty. It's something that everyone does. Is there are reason for me to speed on duty? Absolutely. The reason just might not be apparent to other people around me.
... Ill be sure to tell the next officer that pulls me over this one....
maybe he'll let me off with a warning :rolleyes:

frobie, I know it takes a while to answer all the questions, and thank you for the honest opinions. I just cant get over cops and their daily power trips.

#128 ·
#129 ·
Question to Frobie:

You didn't pull me over yesterday night in Newport did you? :)

I had a cool cop pull me over and let me go for speeding but gave me a fix-it ticket for my tailights. No biggie. He was a young guy and he didn't come off as an a-hole at all. I treated him with respect and he did the same to me. We need more cops like him or maybe it was you? haha

EDIT: NM, just read that you are a CHP. so it most likely wasn't you. :)

#130 ·
Unveiled said:
This is a sad reality, and a definite con in relation to a life in law enforcement.
Yup, law enforcement isn't the best career for having a family. I've heard stories of cops being confronted by guys that they've arrested when they had their family with them at Six Flags Magic Mountain!! I know that it's alot to ask, but have some decency to realize that we have a job to do, and it's nothing personal. And for crying out loud, leave my family out of it!!

#132 ·
Speeder said:
A friend of mine was telling me about an LA County Sheriff motorcycle Deputy (45 years old) was killed last Friday (in Lancaster, I think) when a car turned in front of him as he was responding to a call (lights and sirens)...

May he rest in peace!
And some people wonder why I don't ride on-duty... It sucks whenever any agency loses an Officer though. Thank you for your sympathy.

#133 ·
bunnykiller67 said:
Why the hell should I get a ticket when the police, the almighty law of the road, can excuse themselves and other officers from what is WRONG. I can see this happening with murder or theft...
It's obvious from this, and some of your other posts in other threads that you have a chip on your shoulder towards law enforcement in general. I got a speeding ticket about a year and a half ago. And there are some Cops out there who will write another Officer a ticket. You can see this happening with murder or theft? Come on! How many waiters and waitresses do you know who eat for free on the job? What about bar tenders that get get free drinks? Or someone who works at a clothing store that gets discounts on clothes? These are all called perks of the job. One of the perks of my job is that I likely will not get a ticket. It's a professional courtest that I extend to other Officers, and most of them extend to me as well.

if you cant beat 'em join 'em...
are you SERIOUS? what kind of excuse is that?
dont officers join the force to protect and serve? and not to get out of tickets...?
No, Officers don't join the force to protect and serve, they join to make a difference. I didn't join the CHP just so I could get out of tickets. I only had one speeding ticket before I got hired. How many times did I speed? All the time. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." is a phrase that has been around longer than anyone reading this thread has. It's said sarcastically, so take it with a grain of salt.

... Ill be sure to tell the next officer that pulls me over this one....
maybe he'll let me off with a warning :rolleyes:
Everybody does speed, and tell the Officer that. I've heard it before. "But Officer, I was going the flow of traffic." It wouldn't be the first time I heard this excuse. You're trying to take things that I'm saying out of context. I'm telling you the truth in that everyone speeds. It's just that simple.

frobie, I know it takes a while to answer all the questions, and thank you for the honest opinions. I just cant get over cops and their daily power trips.
Oh, Okay. So now I have a power trip on a daily basis. You need to check your attitude somewhere else. Or, should I invite you out with me next time I'm on a skirmish line in the middle of a bunch of protestors throwing bottles and rocks at me. You think I deserve to get spit at just because I'm wearing a uniform? You think that Police work is all glamour? Give me a break.

#134 ·
UberBimmer said:
Yea but that is a blanket statement that can be said for anyone.. Who is to say that there are people out there that dont like me..and if they recognized me they would try to harm me... That arguement doesnt fly with me sorry.. a cop can be recognized walking down the street as easily as driving down one.. if someone wants to hurt you they will.. tint will not protect you
There could be people out there who don't like you. But, I doubt that people hate you based solely on your chosen profession. Do you drive home the same way everyday, not looking in your mirror to make sure that you're being followed? I doubt it. I take different routes home from work just to add to the hope that people don't find out where I live. The reason why most Officer's have their cars tinted is so certain people don't recognize them and follow them home. It's the same reason why I have Confidential Plates on all of my cars. People don't need to be able to find me at home. And if tint helps to ease my mind, then tint away.

#135 ·
E55 said:
You didn't pull me over yesterday night in Newport did you? :)
Nope, I would've remembered your car if I did :D

I had a cool cop pull me over and let me go for speeding but gave me a fix-it ticket for my tailights. No biggie. He was a young guy and he didn't come off as an a-hole at all. I treated him with respect and he did the same to me. We need more cops like him or maybe it was you? haha
What? Your mean not all of us are jerks? What? I need his name so I can talk to him about being cool to people. We have stereotypes to maintain, you know...

#138 ·
AfghanScarface said:
:yikes: tinted windshield? Thats just insane
Nah, it's normal...you'd be surprised on how many people have it, especially out in Vegas. You just make sure to get the lightest shade (it helps the dash not get messed up by the sun and reduces glare). :thumbup: I had it on my M and never got pulled over for it and will probably have it on the 996tt...:shhh:

#139 ·
Great thread Frobie, very informative! :thumbup: You know, I have nothing against cops and I respect the things that they have to put up with. It just bothers me that there are some out there that take things a little too far. What I mean is, I've been pulled over more than a few times (mostly by CHP) for non-moving violations (no front plate, tint, exhaust, etc). I wouldn't mind so much if the cop included tint or no plate on the ticket that I got for speeding, but getting pulled over only for such a thing like tint or no front plate is weak if you ask me. What are you thoughts on that? Do you pull people over for "fix-it" tickets without them committing a moving violation? :dunno:

#140 ·
USCTrojanMan29 said:
I've been pulled over more than a few times (mostly by CHP) for non-moving violations (no front plate, tint, exhaust, etc). I wouldn't mind so much if the cop included tint or no plate on the ticket that I got for speeding, but getting pulled over only for such a thing like tint or no front plate is weak if you ask me. What are you thoughts on that? Do you pull people over for "fix-it" tickets without them committing a moving violation? :dunno:
My personal rule is three mechanical violations gets a stop. That means a combination of tint, no front plate, no regisration, brake light out, view to license plate obstructed, things like that. If you've got three of 'em, I'll pull you over for it; but probably only if I'm bored. You've got to understand that this happens during rush hour (which is more like three-four hours in LaLa Land) when I'm not going to get speeders or anything that's a mover (i.e. speeding, lane change, tailgating).

#141 ·
USCTrojanMan29 said:
Nah, it's normal...you'd be surprised on how many people have it, especially out in Vegas. You just make sure to get the lightest shade (it helps the dash not get messed up by the sun and reduces glare). :thumbup: I had it on my M and never got pulled over for it and will probably have it on the 996tt...:shhh:
I knew of some people that had it on their cars/trucks. It looks better than a header, but it IS illegal. Again, like front window tint, if it's not too dark, you probably aren't going to get hasseled.

#142 ·
frobie15 said:
It's obvious from this, and some of your other posts in other threads that you have a chip on your shoulder towards law enforcement in general. I got a speeding ticket about a year and a half ago. And there are some Cops out there who will write another Officer a ticket. You can see this happening with murder or theft? Come on! How many waiters and waitresses do you know who eat for free on the job? What about bar tenders that get get free drinks? Or someone who works at a clothing store that gets discounts on clothes? These are all called perks of the job. One of the perks of my job is that I likely will not get a ticket. It's a professional courtest that I extend to other Officers, and most of them extend to me as well.

there are no perks of the job in law inforcement. You and every other officer make it a perk by allowing each other to get out of tickets. In resturants and bars, the owners allow employees to have these perks. There arent too many perks you get from government jobs... The mail man doesnt get to look into everyone mail, so why should you and other officers get out of tickets? looking into someone elses mail is illegal, and mail men would get fined/prosecuted for it. AT THE SAME TIME... officers get out of tickets because why? because "It's a professional courtest that I extend to other Officers, and most of them extend to me as well." There is no perk, the commissioner doesnt tell you "its ok"; just cops that wont write other cops tickets.

Everybody does speed, and tell the Officer that. I've heard it before. "But Officer, I was going the flow of traffic." It wouldn't be the first time I heard this excuse. You're trying to take things that I'm saying out of context. I'm telling you the truth in that everyone speeds. It's just that simple.

Oh, Okay. So now I have a power trip on a daily basis. You need to check your attitude somewhere else. Or, should I invite you out with me next time I'm on a skirmish line in the middle of a bunch of protestors throwing bottles and rocks at me. You think I deserve to get spit at just because I'm wearing a uniform? You think that Police work is all glamour? Give me a break.

Please dont acuse me of taking things out of context. I quote what you say exactly. Nor do I have an attitude that is disrespectful to you. In the above bold, you take what I say out of context. I never acuse you of having a power trip. Why do you assume that I would be the guy throwing bottles and rocks at you? I dont go to protests or do those things exactly for the reason you dont liek going to them to stop people from rioting. people get hurt, it costs the state money.
I dont talk down to officers when Im confronted by them, I always put my hands on the wheel, car off, keys on dash, look them straight in the eye, and say "sir". How can you assume so much about me? I undersatnd that police work is hard. I have family on duty too.

These are responses to your responses.
Not attacks, like you make them seem to be.

#143 ·
frobie15 said:
My personal rule is three mechanical violations gets a stop. That means a combination of tint, no front plate, no regisration, brake light out, view to license plate obstructed, things like that. If you've got three of 'em, I'll pull you over for it; but probably only if I'm bored. You've got to understand that this happens during rush hour (which is more like three-four hours in LaLa Land) when I'm not going to get speeders or anything that's a mover (i.e. speeding, lane change, tailgating).
I can buy that, I guess having a modded car puts you out there for receiving such tickets. I'll make sure I have no more than 2 mechanical violations at one time (it'll be no front plate and tint all the time so I'll make sure all my lights work and registration stickers are current)...:shhh: :)

#145 ·
frobie15 said:
How many waiters and waitresses do you know who eat for free on the job? What about bar tenders that get get free drinks? Or someone who works at a clothing store that gets discounts on clothes? These are all called perks of the job. One of the perks of my job is that I likely will not get a ticket.
waiters, bar tenders and store clerks are not agents of the state sworn to uphold and enforce the law. These 'perks' are what anger people when they get a ticket for something that other cops do all the time and do not get ticketed for, like speeding, or that link about the front licence plate when the cop did not have one as well. I don't see how, on one hand, you can say that you do not stop drivers, but cars that are speeding, but on the other hand, say that you would likely not ticket another officer as professional courtesy. It seems that you would turn a blind eye to whom you are ticketing if you were to be consistent. I think it is this inconsistency, this double standard, that creates a dislike or animosity towards cops.

#146 ·
USCTrojanMan29 said:
I can buy that, I guess having a modded car puts you out there for receiving such tickets. I'll make sure I have no more than 2 mechanical violations at one time (it'll be no front plate and tint all the time so I'll make sure all my lights work and registration stickers are current)...:shhh: :)
You'll have no issue getting stopped by me, then. I think it borders on sac-religious to put a front plate on the P-car anyway :D If it's registered in Nevada, they you get a Kings-X from mechanical violations, by the way.

#147 ·
davidwarren said:
I don't see how, on one hand, you can say that you do not stop drivers, but cars that are speeding, but on the other hand, say that you would likely not ticket another officer as professional courtesy. It seems that you would turn a blind eye to whom you are ticketing if you were to be consistent. I think it is this inconsistency, this double standard, that creates a dislike or animosity towards cops.
I agree that there are people out there that view us as being hypocrites, which causes them to dislike us. So be it. For what it's worth, the comment about stopping cars nad not drivers was in regards to whether or not I stop younger people based solely on their age. If you don't like the fact that Cops get out of alot of tickets just because they are cops, then there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I am simply telling you what happens, if that makes me a bad person, then shame on me for being honest...

#148 ·
USCTrojanMan29 said:
Tell us the real story behind the ticket quota. I would probably guess that there is no "official" quota out there, but isn't there some sort of performance expectation that each officier has in terms of the number of tickets he/she writes? :dunno:
Officially, and legally, there is no quota. The standing joke for some of us is, "Five a day keeps the sergeant away." Depending on which shift I'm working, I usually write about seven or eight a day. Bottom line is that I just can't go out and not write tickets. There are days when I don't write any, but they are few and far between.

#149 ·
frobie15 said:
I agree that there are people out there that view us as being hypocrites, which causes them to dislike us. So be it. For what it's worth, the comment about stopping cars nad not drivers was in regards to whether or not I stop younger people based solely on their age. If you don't like the fact that Cops get out of alot of tickets just because they are cops, then there is nothing I can say to change your mind. I am simply telling you what happens, if that makes me a bad person, then shame on me for being honest...
I do not think you are a bad person at all!!! I have a lot of respect for cops; please excuse me if my confrontational style is off-putting, I am in law school and that is how we are taught to ask questions. I appreciate the opportunity to pick your brain.

#150 ·
frobie15 said:
Officially, and legally, there is no quota. The standing joke for some of us is, "Five a day keeps the sergeant away." Depending on which shift I'm working, I usually write about seven or eight a day. Bottom line is that I just can't go out and not write tickets. There are days when I don't write any, but they are few and far between.
:lmao: Good stuff, thanks for all of the information....hope to see you at the OC meet! :thumbup:

#151 · (Edited)
bunnykiller67 said:
there are no perks of the job in law enforcement.
You're right, there are no specific perks of the job. So we, as Officer's, create one. Oh the hummanity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are responses to your responses.
Not attacks, like you make them seem to be.
Hrpmphh. I'm making them out to be attacks. Hrpmphh....

I'm trying to figure out if you really do have family in law enforcement. I think that someone who does wouldn't chime in on the "Cop's Suck" threads the way that you do. I fully understand why you think that it's hypocritical that I not write other Officer's tickets; or even that I speed. But let me ask you this. How often do you speed, roll stops signs, turn without signaling, stuff like that? You break the law, I promise. The only way you can fault me for what I do is if you are without sin, so to speak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.