E46 Fanatics Forum banner

after installin h&r race springs my car sits lower on one side

30K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Ryhan1995 
#1 ·
Like title says. i lowered the car since its been lowerd the driver side is about .25 in higher then the passenger side. i raised the car up on a lift and looked at both sides and springs are seated in the shocks and cups right. could i of missed something. i got 00 328ci h&r race springs on stock stocks and struts. thanks

#3 ·
the hell?

that is most defnitly not normal.

i just did the same swap yesterday and my car is completly level.

so list of things that get messed with.
trailing arms, sway bars, struts, rear shocks. you should not have messed with anythign else when doing this. possible issue.. the lower mount of the struts, the strut just slides in so make sure it was slid in all the way before you tightened the compression lock.

really cant think of why the back would be different except that if the spring didnt seat properly on the top mounting stub.

good luck, get it fixed, and dont forget to get aligned .

#4 ·
I have a similar problem, but i am running bone stock (i plan on upgrades soon) but my car sits a full inch low on the right rear. i work for a bmw dealership and was able to get my car on a lift in the shop. one of my tech friends looked at it can can't see anything wrong, but said that the rear shock going bad. I wonder though.....if the shock mount is bad or broken can you see it enough to know? 1 inch seems like alot to me!

#6 ·
You guys crack me up. Arguing like little females. Our cars sit lower on the passenger side no matter if you drive a sedan or a coupe. Its BMW's "weight compensation" design engineering with ONLY the driver in mind. My sedan was like that, and now my coupe also (H&R Race w/Bilstein Sports btw). Live with it, because as little difference there is in the gap, it wont make a difference at all.

#8 ·
This man speaks the truth.
If I were you I'd be worried if the driver side sits lower than normal, but the passenger side should be a little lower (empty car) by design.

Reactions: JDM_freak
#10 ·
ya my car did that also..

#13 ·
the only reason why it really bothered me was cause we tryin to fit m3 wheels on my car. and since the driver side was higher it didnt rub as bad as the passenger side. but we cut, and cut, and flared and got the wheels to fit. now gotta get body work done.

#15 ·
Bump for a similar issue...

My drivers side sits 1/4" lower on the drivers side after a week on a new H&R Cup kit and around 150 miles driven... should I wait a little longer for them to settle or should I start worrying? It's only 1/4" but it's still noticeable... so there's no design compensation going on here... any ideas? I rarely have passengers could that even make a difference?

#17 ·
Same issue

Sorry for bringing up this issue but can't find a solution. My Rear Drivers side sits about half to 1/4 inch lower as well. Just replaced rsm and shocks before I did it was about 2-1.5 inches lower on driver side. After changing its much less but still off. Has anyone figured this out?

#16 ·
Bump, having same issue. Just installed adjustable koni yellows on all 4 corners with H&R sport springs. My passenger side of the car sits about 1 finger width lower than the driver side. The tech told me give it a few days to settle in after the alignmnet was done. Lets see what happens.

#18 · (Edited)
after installin h&r race springs my car sits lower on one side

Most likely something is installed incorrectly. Start with making sure the struts are seated all the way down into the knuckle. Next make sure the rear springs are in their correct place.

Last make sure the springs are installed correctly. A lot of people mess this up and try to line spring marks up on the lower perch rubber. Don't do that the spring face one way, it's easy to tell because the bottom part of the spring cool is "v" shaped. This lines up with the lower perch.

#23 ·
Lol had a shop install them. They've done over 50 of these jobs and know what they are doing. The specialize in BMWS and personally own e46s so I'm confident they installed them correct. I think there's an issue w the springs and the shims. Don't really know what else it could be. The shocks were just done last week also. Thanks for replying and trying to help me. Really appreciate it. I'll post pics soon

#24 ·
I installed the rear myself and let the shop install the fronts. My car looks lop sided like literally if you stand back and look at it facing the trunk you can see the car tilt more to the right. I think I might go back to OEM springs. H&R sport drop is nice but to me the OEM drop was perfect for daily driving use.

#26 ·
Had this same issue and only 1 shop new what it was. They are a BMW service center in Newport Beach CA. They said its cuz the springs need to be facing he same way. If they are positioned different one will be higher than the other. This is why some people have higher left it right sides. This should fix your issue. GL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.