E46 Fanatics Forum banner

speaker cuts out

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lkstaack 
#1 ·
so ive noticed, after installing my aftermarket headunit that all of a sudden my drivers side door speaker cuts out when i hit bumps and even some other random times. It didnt do this when i first put it in, but just started all of a sudden. My first thoughts on it where that it just had a loose ground somewhere? but idk where i would start looking, but then i noticed, that i can get it to come back on allot of the times if i turn the volume up considerably and then back down? PLUS ive never taken the door apart at all, dont even know how to, so theres no way i can think that the negative on the speaker might have gotten pulled off? so im completely stumped on this one, im almost POSITIVE it isnt blown, because when its on it sounds completely fine, it just cuts out like i said

so if anyone could help me with this it would be GREAT, because IDK what to do?:eek::eek:

#4 ·
i had the same problem for months, i finally got fed up last night and took the radio out, after searching for a broken wire for like 2 hours i found there is a connector on the lower right side behind the hvac controls it has six wires on one side and five on the other, (blk/wh red/yel red/ grn gray/red yel/wh and pur/wht) every time i touched this connector the left door speakers would cut out. so i cut out the connector and soldered the wires together, problem gone i could have got a new connector but....im impatient

just figured id share that, hope it helps

#5 ·
Bringing this thread back because I have a simular problem. Four months after installing BSW speakers, my driver's door speaker cuts out at low volume. Here is the weird part: it will come back on if I pull my door handle; I don't have to pull it all the way...just until I feel resistance. It will also work when I open the door and/or increase the volume.

All the connections inside the door panel are secure. This thread leads me to believe the problem might be with the head unit or within a component or connection that the stereo shares with the door open sensor. Can anyone comment on their experience with electrical circuts that are shared with the stereo system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.