DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 77 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:29 AM   #1521
nealfromnz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_V View Post
Excellent idea - thanks Neal
Been thinking about the USB DVD drive. You may need to augment its power. I found on the bench that a 2.5 amp supply would not spin up a DVD or cd. ( Pete did warn me)

I added a 12v to 5 volt 3 amp supply to my USB hub. I used an andrino relay which the pi3 triggers on startup. On Peters pibus board there is a place to add a pin for gpio26, (trigger ) and 5V and a ground.
I created a one line shell script that puts gpio 26 high . The script is added to autostart.sh. Basically the hub power supply is started and stopped by the pi3 so no unnecessary power supplies running when the car is off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG1445.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	658194   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG1439.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	658202  

Last edited by nealfromnz; 07-06-2017 at 04:50 AM.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #1522
nealfromnz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xollen View Post
Aux to rca adapter? I don't get it, i see only aux connections
On the Pibus board there is the connector (CDC) that contacts the preamp output which you would connect the stacker audio connections to.

What you could do instead is chop one end of a stereo rca lead and connect it to the CDC audio connector on the pibus. The other end ( rca plugs) connects into your after market amp.
http://pibus.info/pibus4-hifi-wiring2.jpg
Or I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to achieve ?

Last edited by nealfromnz; 07-06-2017 at 06:14 AM.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #1523
doublesupersteve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
My Ride: E39, E36 w E46 seats
I have read a few pages and tried searching, but I gave up pretty quick so forgive my laziness

If projects exist for this or people have already done it please let me know! Otherwise, I will get to it and come back when I have something...

Cast android to display and map PiBus keyboard keys. Not seeking to put a touch film on.

The other thing I need to do is emulate some of the obc functions on IBUS, I have e39 low OBC which doesn't supply the time to the nav which kills me for getting to work on time lol.

Last edited by doublesupersteve; 07-06-2017 at 08:06 AM.
doublesupersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #1524
Xollen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4
My Ride: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealfromnz View Post
On the Pibus board there is the connector (CDC) that contacts the preamp output which you would connect the stacker audio connections to.

What you could do instead is chop one end of a stereo rca lead and connect it to the CDC audio connector on the pibus. The other end ( rca plugs) connects into your after market amp.
http://pibus.info/pibus4-hifi-wiring2.jpg
Or I'm not quite understanding what you're trying to achieve ?
I'm trying to connect aftermarket amp and subwoofer, now quality is terrible hight to low adapter or directly from mb54 board, searching for alternatives.
Xollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #1525
harryberlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Germany
Posts: 11
My Ride: E39 Touring
On E46 it is possible to Code the Consumer Cutoff for 16min like E39.
harryberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:14 AM   #1526
nealfromnz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xollen View Post
I'm trying to connect aftermarket amp and subwoofer, now quality is terrible hight to low adapter or directly from mb54 board, searching for alternatives.
The output from bm54 is balanced (plus and minus & ground). Many amps only accept unbalanced (standard RCA 2volt) you might be over driving the amp input.
if your amp accepts speaker inputs try connecting the bm54 to these first.

Otherwise you can mod the bm54 circuit board and add RCA leads to the capacitors . This gives a cleaner RCA signal for aftermarket amps. I'd post a picture, but my picks are on photobucket and they've blocked direct link pictures.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:33 AM   #1527
Xollen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Lithuania
Posts: 4
My Ride: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealfromnz View Post
The output from bm54 is balanced (plus and minus & ground). Many amps only accept unbalanced (standard RCA 2volt) you might be over driving the amp input.
if your amp accepts speaker inputs try connecting the bm54 to these first.

Otherwise you can mod the bm54 circuit board and add RCA leads to the capacitors . This gives a cleaner RCA signal for aftermarket amps. I'd post a picture, but my picks are on photobucket and they've blocked direct link pictures.
got something like this done by friend, but when i connect amp it make my rear speaker sound like crap and subwoofer worse then throw high too low adapter.
Xollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 AM   #1528
nealfromnz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xollen View Post
got something like this done by friend, but when i connect amp it make my rear speaker sound like crap and subwoofer worse then throw high too low adapter.
If it's done correctly it should be fine. If the solder bridges the dc blocking caps then you'll have over 4 volts of raw DC into your amp. Measure the rca voltage as see if your seeing constant DC. If you are then put a LOC between the bm54 rca mod and your amp. Not a hi low.

Btw. Better to run shielded cable from the board to the rca leads. LOL , the picture above had the leads running straight over the tuner module. ( leads pick up emf noise like this)

Last edited by nealfromnz; 07-07-2017 at 07:10 AM.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:29 AM   #1529
nealfromnz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 186
My Ride: 2002 e46
Took the system out as having a few issues with a 128gig thumb drive randomly dismounting.
Turns out I'd formatted in a manner that didn't get the best out of the OS. Formatted it with ntfs and now runs far better with no dismounts during scan or hi res file playback . A combo of libreelec 8.02 and reformatted thumb drive working well. 8 seconds to boot and less than 10 minutes to scan 80gig 7000 track library from scratch.

Tried openelec 8.04. 20 second plus boot time and 40 mins to scan library. Went back to libreelec as a result.
nealfromnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #1530
vitalic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ilmenau
Posts: 41
My Ride: E38
Hey guys.

Tried to start pibus today after i made everything new, incduding system. I forgot something. Pibus works, LED is blinking and ibus.txt contains text. Many errors. It's a Pi3 and i added th bt-miniuart overlay. But as far as I remember, i had to change something else at custom installation. But what ? Also disabled hci bt via systemctl. Using an external usb stick so i don't need onboard BT.

Also the complete ibus is f****** up. Guess the error is somewhere in here:

000073.071 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.121 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.171 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.221 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.271 #service_queue(): rx fifo not empty - waiting
000073.321 #service_queue(): rx fifo not empty - waiting
000073.371 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.421 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.471 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.521 #service_queue(): rx fifo not empty - waiting
000073.571 #service_queue len=12 ******180a68390002000100010445
000073.571 #service_queue len=7 ******180580410201df

Last edited by vitalic; 07-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.
vitalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #1531
dutchhome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 103
My Ride: 2004 330xi
I just bought a pibus 4.12 but I am not interested in the video aspects of it (yet). Is it possible to prevent the pibus hardware from sending commands to the ibus and just use it for power and providing a serial interface to Linux? I do like its ability to power down the raspberry pi so I don't want to give that up and it looks much nicer than using Resler's adaptor.

I see there is source code for the attiny2313a, but it doesn't look like the programming header is available any more. Is it possible to program from the RPI itself? If so, I should be able to build everything I need.

Last edited by dutchhome; Yesterday at 08:16 AM. Reason: 4.2 -> 4.12 typo
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #1532
PeteAU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 475
My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalic View Post
Hey guys.

Tried to start pibus today after i made everything new, incduding system. I forgot something. Pibus works, LED is blinking and ibus.txt contains text. Many errors. It's a Pi3 and i added th bt-miniuart overlay. But as far as I remember, i had to change something else at custom installation. But what ? Also disabled hci bt via systemctl. Using an external usb stick so i don't need onboard BT.

Also the complete ibus is f****** up. Guess the error is somewhere in here:

000073.071 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.121 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.171 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.221 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.271 #service_queue(): rx fifo not empty - waiting
000073.321 #service_queue(): rx fifo not empty - waiting
000073.371 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.421 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.471 #service_queue(): ibus/gpio busy - waiting
000073.521 #service_queue(): rx fifo not empty - waiting
000073.571 #service_queue len=12 ******180a68390002000100010445
000073.571 #service_queue len=7 ******180580410201df
Sounds like your serial port isn't working (/dev/ttyAMA0). This is configured by the bt-miniuart overlay, so maybe you've not fully installed it in /flash/config.txt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
I just bought a pibus 4.2 but I am not interested in the video aspects of it (yet). Is it possible to prevent the pibus hardware from sending commands to the ibus and just use it for power and providing a serial interface to Linux? I do like its ability to power down the raspberry pi so I don't want to give that up and it looks much nicer than using Resler's adaptor.

I see there is source code for the attiny2313a, but it doesn't look like the programming header is available any more. Is it possible to program from the RPI itself? If so, I should be able to build everything I need.
Do you mean 4.12? In a Pibus4, it's all handled by the software on the Pi, the hardware is dumb. There isn't currently a "passive" mode where it will not get involved in the IBUS. Maybe you could run the pibus software with -a2 parameter, so it will ignore the CDC:

Code:
-a {input}   Input select (0=CDC 1=AUX 2=TAPE) (V4 boards only)
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #1533
dutchhome
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 103
My Ride: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
Do you mean 4.12? In a Pibus4, it's all handled by the software on the Pi, the hardware is dumb. There isn't currently a "passive" mode where it will not get involved in the IBUS. Maybe you could run the pibus software with -a2 parameter, so it will ignore the CDC:

Code:
-a {input}   Input select (0=CDC 1=AUX 2=TAPE) (V4 boards only)
Hi Pete, thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it is v4.12. Nice to hear it is all handled by the pi. I'm currently going through your source code to understand it completely before I start trying to program it. It sounds like I will be able to do everything I want - mostly reading ibus traffic and making interactive screens using the built in functionality of the headunit.

I already have the pi pairing with my phone and able to play music through it. I also have it running as a broadband hotspot. Once I get the handsfree working I'll be ready to install it in the car and start sending commands to the screen.

Fwiw, I'm using a rpi 3 with the pibus and have it booting off an msata ssd. All put together it sits as a tight little sandwich not much bigger than the pi itself.


Sent from my Nexus 5X using E46Fanatics mobile app
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.