E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Shifting help

7K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Murphy 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a 2001 330xi Automatic with an AA stage 1. I keep having a problem when shifting at high rpms starting in 2nd gear. Around 6000 rpm if I try to shift the transmission will hold at that rpm for around 4 seconds and then shift. after shifting the transmission light will come on and the transmission will shift rough until I turn the car off.

So I used INPA and it gave me :

146 CAN Moment interface.

I have changed the transmission fluid and filter. I can't find anything on that code. Please help

#5 ·
I own a 2001 330xi Automatic with an AA stage 1. I keep having a problem when shifting at high rpms starting in 2nd gear. Around 6000 rpm if I try to shift the transmission will hold at that rpm for around 4 seconds and then shift. after shifting the transmission light will come on and the transmission will shift rough until I turn the car off.

So I used INPA and it gave me :

146 CAN Moment interface.

Every time that error shows up its at 6176 rpm. I have changed the transmission fluid and filter. I can't find anything on that code. Please help
Is the transmission related firmware/software up to date? Has it been modified in some way?

Has your car always exhibited these characteristics or is the problem new?

Have you posed this question to the AA guys? Could it be AA related?

Are we correct to presume that shifting occurs correctly at say 5k RPM or even 5.5K and that these problems occur specifically at 6k or 6.176k?

Are you somehow "controlling" the shifts by initially selecting D4 (or whatever it may be) then moving the leaver to D3 thereby "signalling" the shift to next ratio?

#6 ·
I'm not sure if the tranny software is up to date, but it has not been modified in any way.
The problem appeared about 4 months ago. I sent a message to AA about a month ago and have not gotten a message back.
There is no problem shifting below 6k rpm, but after that the problem occurs.
I can have the car in Drive or steptronic, but the outcome is the same.

#7 ·
********************** Update ****************************

I just recently fix a few vacuum leaks hoping that it would fix the problem, but its still there.

Altho the holding at a certain RPM has stopped, After the shift it still gives me a transmission light and shifts rough.

I scanned the car with INPA and I got 2 codes.

8 Air Flow Meter

Error frequency : 11

Logistic counter: 40

N_32 6336.00 rpm
THR 60.21 Grad TPS
ISAPWN_ISA 94.92 %
VMAF 4.88 V
aufgetreten vor (rel. BZ) 1.30 h

ks--> ubatt
---
---
---
Error to relevant
Error debounce
Error currently not available
sporadic Error

--------------------------------------------------------------

146 Can Moment interface

Error frequency : 1

Logistic counter: 0

KM value 225330.00 km
Changing gear 1.00 0/1
Last Change: Changing up 2->3 33.00 0-n
Engine speed 6112.00 rpm
throttle-valve angle 100.00 %

General error
Sporadic error
-----------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.

#14 ·
I will be glad to update here. IPT has a contract with a trucking company so that all that is needed is for the transmission (completely drained, of course) to be mounted on a pallett and protected (covered up) and the trucking company will pick it up. Later the same trucking company will deliver it back.

Jim

#25 ·
The shorter tires seem to help but does not eliminate the transmission light from coming on but now less than 50% of the occasions where it came on before. BIP says another tire closer to the 255/35/18 fronts appears to be the route to go or turn off the DSC button all the time. I will try the DSC button off route to see what happens.

Anybody else having this type of problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.