E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My ESS TS2 install, it all starts NOW! :)

54K views 337 replies 30 participants last post by  fmzip 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I purchased Elio's TS2 kit. For those who haven't been following along:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=518834

Had my baseline dyno run today. After the first pull and smoke coming out of the left rear wheel,maybe the strap was on the exhaust. :yikes:Hmmm.

Second run, coming to the end car maxs out at 150hp now theres flames shooting out of my caliper wtf?? :hmm:Jack up the car, wheel spins freely. Maybe the ebrake was stuck.

Next run, coming to an end the rotor is glowing red, real nice red flames coming out of my caliper.....:censor:
Take the wheel off, brake pads look fine. Take my brand new cross drilled rotor off that is now a nice glazy looking color, what do we find??? The smoldering remains of the ebrake pad....clean everything up, here's the results. One run in 4th, one in fifth. I guess these first runs all should have be done in 4th since it hits top speed in 5th before it hits redline, duh! Such a noobie on this stuff but oh well! Does this look normal/good? Car has 68K on it completely stock....old plugs, coils, fuel filter and fuel pump. All these items will be replaced in the process.

See less See more
#72 ·
That is coolant...looks like your thermostat housing gasket might be leaking. I would change it if I were you.

Thanks for the input guys...I will make sure I take care of both as directed!

I just got back from my machine shop. I am going to have a custom faceplate made to hold three gauges in the ashtray area. Should have it back in a few days. We decided to andodize it a burnished black to blend with the dash pieces.

I may have him build up 10-20pcs if there is interest in an ashtray mounted gauge solution for the Nav owners in the forum.

#74 ·
Here's a tip for the next person who tackles this project. A somewhat time consuming part is to tape up all those wires. A cleaner, much faster way would be to spend a few bucks on this 1/4'' Flame Retardant Slit Wire Loom! I was thinking about this stuff as my 41 year old back was aching yesterday with a roll of electrical tape in my hand

http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html

#80 ·
Your website has been a huge help! I was toying with tackling this type of project for many years dating back to 1990 with my 5.0 Mustang GT.

Your site as well as this one gave me the needed confidence to take my BMW apart and put it back together again!

Thanks, many thanks! :)

#83 ·
Ken,

Here was my feeling on to DIY or pay a professional. From what I read on the forums, quite a number of people ran into install problems when they hired a professional. Unless I could find an installer that had experience with FI on BMW's, I was commited to DIY.

I think if you have a Bentley manual, the appropriate tools, metric hex bits, torx bits, 3/8 and 1/2in metric sockets wrenches, a real floor jack, jack stands and expereince working on cars, you can tackle it. When I say experiece, I mean experience.

Just to give you an idea of my experience, I am 41, I've pulled engines swapped trannys etc. Even with that kind of experience I was still intimidated by the pletheroa of lines, hoses and electrical connections underneath the hood of the car. The thing that I questioned was do I still have the patience to do this kind of work! The most important thing you need that you will not find in your tool box is patience and time.

Fortuantely, I have no time constraints on finishing this project which has helped me immensely. This allows me to thoroughly read and comprehend the install instructions before I proceed. I would suggest if you are contemplating a DIY, get yourself the install manual from ESS and read it over. It really is one of the most thorough install manuals I have seen. There are a few vague areas, like finding the hidden manifold bolt that I took a picture of! Other than that and the mounting of the few items I snapped pictures of, it looks alot more complicated than it really is.

We're here for ya Ken if you decide to tackle it!

#85 ·
Nice progress. I was a bit confused about some electrical connections myself, but they all seem to match up nicely, even the couple that aren't as clearly listed in the ESS manual. Oh and I'd keep the pulley off until you're ready to put the belt in there. Keep us posted!

#89 ·
:rofl: Thanks Darren! I'm sure Fran won't mind... we've been posting so much in each other's threads that even I get confused sometimes which thread is which, LOL.

By the way Fran, you look a lot YOUNGER than 41 (I would never have guessed that to be your age). :thumbsup:

#103 · (Edited)
Stuart.....the Brand is GEBA, Made in Germany, bought it from Bavarian Autosport under the BMW part number.

Thinking ahead, I need to tap in for a boost gauge. The labels on the intake for the vacuum lines say "orig fuel pump reg" and on the other it is "T"'d and is labeled "EGR and exhuast flap". I have something to plug into each of those connections already.

Can I just add another "T" on the one that says "fuel pressure regulator" and pick up vaccum for the boost gauge there?

#104 · (Edited)
HELP!!!

I am stuck....I have too many vaccum lines and not enough connections.

The first pic I circled a hose which leads up around back of the firewall and used to plug into my intake. Where it is to connect to now, I do not know. The second picture, I believe is the EGR valve as pictured in the ESS install manual. This connects to the TS2. The third pic is for the fuel pressure regulator which is clearly labeled on the TS2. The four pic is for the exhaust flap which is clearly labeled on the TS2. I also need to hook up a boost gauge.

So I have 5 vaccum lines with only three connections....HELP!!! I am stuck.

#123 ·
Just an FYI for others....ESS specifically states to not connect anything to the vaccum line Labeled "original fuel pressure regulator" other than the original fuel pressure regulator. A boost gauge needs to be connected to the other vaccum fitting

#106 · (Edited)
Gotta love this forum! DKE46T "Dave" saw I was in need of some help. He stopped over and we managed to get it in!

Thanks again Dave! It's looking good! It amazes me how this thing "just" fits in there!

Thanks Stuart for pointing out to make certain to connect that lower hose "first" before you actually seat the manifold! It's real tight back there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.