E46 Fanatics Forum banner

*** The Official E46 Convertible Pics Thread***

900K views 3K replies 566 participants last post by  jds2726 
#1 ·
***The Official E46 Vert Thread***

Since we don't have a place to hang out, let's use this for all our questions, info, and vert related topics just until we get our own sub-forum.

:hi:

Hi,

My name is Gabe, and I have a vert.

#12 ·
First page :craig:

#15 ·
OK, I'll throw out a question:

Parking the car for the winter, is it better for the soft-top to leave it up, or down in the recess (with the hardtop in place) ? I have a hoist but it's not a stellar design, I can get the hardtop on/off myself but it's a minor PITA; I like to ride with the hardtop on in the late fall and early spring, but didn't bother to take it off to put the soft-top up for winter parking ast year. I feel like either way is bad for the top (up = fully stretched/torqued, down = stuff gets pinched) but not sure which way is worse to leave it. My top doesn't seem to have suffered in any way from being down all winter last year. Since the car came with the hardtop (from factory), snow tires, and mudflaps, I'm guessing prior owners drove it in the winter and left the hardtop on all winter.

Fortunately my top has never given me any issues.

Oh, and for reference, a video of my Reinhold module in action. [A second triple-unlock would have rolled the windows down after putting the top down]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvSAtaAdF3o

#17 ·
OK, I'll throw out a question:

Parking the car for the winter, is it better for the soft-top to leave it up, or down in the recess (with the hardtop in place) ? I have a hoist but it's not a stellar design, I can get the hardtop on/off myself but it's a minor PITA; I like to ride with the hardtop on in the late fall and early spring, but didn't bother to take it off to put the soft-top up for winter parking ast year. I feel like either way is bad for the top (up = fully stretched/torqued, down = stuff gets pinched) but not sure which way is worse to leave it. My top doesn't seem to have suffered in any way from being down all winter last year. Since the car came with the hardtop (from factory), snow tires, and mudflaps, I'm guessing prior owners drove it in the winter and left the hardtop on all winter.

Fortunately my top has never given me any issues.

Oh, and for reference, a video of my Reinhold module in action. [A second triple-unlock would have rolled the windows down after putting the top down]
good question... I would think leaving it up possibly would be better instead of it being folded down so long... but one of the guys that use a hardtop would give you a more precise answer.

#20 ·
are the sway bars from an ///M and ///M vert interchangeable? I want to upgrade the sways in mine I think.

#21 ·
They should be interchangeable, just one would be a little bit thicker than the other. At least that's the case with the ZHP. But I think you already have the thickest ones. Also, why not go with H&R or something like that? Awesome product.

#25 ·
I'm in, and subscribed!

I've been away from home (Cali) almost a month, in Toronto (freezing) right now, can't wait to get back and fire up my baby!

T.

#235 · (Edited)
Are the LED's plug 'n play

Hi to answer your questions:

Why do the lights cost more - it is simply supply and demand - there are fewer e46 Cic's therefore there is less opportunity to recover design and tooling costs. Try buying parts for a right hand Cic - they are typically 25% higher since there are fewer right handed cars.

Are the LED's plug and play on an 02. I assume you mean model year which would be an 01 production date. The lights will connect to the harness but you will get errors on your cluster and they will will function erratically.

You need to check to see if your light switch supports LED. I can't recall the production date but I think it was prior to the facelift. You can verify at real oem the part numbers. On my 01 Cic I had to source a new light switch.

Once you have the correct light switch they are still not plug 'n play. You will need to have the LKM (light control module) programmed to support the new lights. Find a friend with GT1 or other OBD tool to activate the module. The Stealer will do it for a price (between $75 and $120) I imagine.

#31 ·
On another note, my top takes forever (over a minute) to go down and about 40 seconds to go back up.

This seems a little slow. Long wait at early release near the windshield.

Where should I start looking to diagnose the problem? What's your experiences been?

I ask because the car is new to me. Thanks.

#34 ·
Mine was doing that for about 3 months right before my left cylinder busted, and fluid gushed everywhere. Get that checked out and have your top CAREFULLY inspected. Trust me, you wanna replace ANYTHING you might have to at this point. Trust me on this one.

#36 ·
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:..... its like 40 in NY... u just screwed up my sunday... well almost... my Steelers pulled one out in OT ...:thumbup: other than that u screwed up my sunday... glad u can enjoy urs this time of year.:(

#39 ·
I'm in. '06 ZHP Vert. Just so I add something convertible related to this thread, I recommend getting a wind screen. While I like driving windows down, when taking the wife (especially on the freeway), the windscreen really reduces wind buffeting, which she likes wrt hair, noise, etc. Plus, it lowers easily when you don't need it. The only issue is you can't seat people (my kids) in the back with the screen in. I bought my previously owned that I found online. John

#40 ·
I've been wanting one since I bought the car.
My mom has a 650, and the E63s come with a built in one, sorta, meaning the glass rear window. I'm so jealous.

I still need to get my top fixed. My cylinder busted and I have been putting it aside since it happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.