Build and rules questions - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum

Spec E46 racing class forum
Official Spec E46 racing class forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
HeavyRightFooT

My Ride: E30 Pro3
Build and rules questions

Hi All

Northwest build ongoing, few questions spawning:

- seen a few cars built on completely acid stripped shells. Is that legal / allowed ? doesn't sound like an affordable thing.

- Also seen a few cars where ballast is moved from passenger seat location to under the driver seat location depending on the track. Is that legal ?

- Finally, is it possible to remove the power steering system? imho the less systems and parts that can fail the better...

Cheers
HeavyRightFooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Ron ///Man

My Ride: BMW's
I would say acid dipping is a pretty extreme step for this class. My interpretation of the rules is if they don't say you can do something, then you can't... see paragraph 6.2: "Addition, removal, modification, or disabling of parts is not permitted unless specified."

'06 ZHP Sparkling Graphite
'02 SE46 Racer
'03 330ci Endurance Racer
'91 M3 Club Racer
'91 M3 Faux EVO III Driver
Ron ///Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
MrFabulous

My Ride: SE46 in progress
If I had to do it over again I would have totally dipped my shell. Not having the luxury of starting with a southern car meant a lot of time spent under it with a wire wheel on a grinder eliminating all signs of rust. You have to balance what your time is worth and what level of build you want to achieve.

I can't comment on the weight. I'm too portly to have to worry about adding more

While I can understand your point about failures. I'm not entirely sure I want to drive one of these without power steering. Maneuvering a spec miata around grid at slow speed is taxing enough on the upper body. But that could just be me.

Last edited by MrFabulous; 09-29-2016 at 02:55 PM.
MrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
HeavyRightFooT

My Ride: E30 Pro3
Thanks for the replies.

Ron ///Man,
Yes i absolutely agree its quite extreme for a class that is about ease of access and spec nature. But the more competitive it will get the more people will tent towards these means.
As I read the rules posted on Spece46,com I take it it is not allowed, since it mentions clearly anything not specified as allowed is not. But some argue it is just a way to refinish the shell and remove the hard to reach stuff without altering the shape or architecture of it... Hence my question to see if there is a "official" take on it.

MrFabulous,
Completely agree, in the process of planning the means I'll use to build the car vs the level of build I'd like to achieve.
Looks to me like the se46 rules don't allow it, just want to make sure I don't omit something in the CCR that might override that or a way to read the rules that could be used to justify it by others if I end up not going for it.
Reality is I might not have to use that much ballast either since I might or might not be wearing part of it everyday... but, want to make sure I don't leave anything on the table while I have the thing apart.

I have heard different takes on wether Acid dipping was modifying the shell or just refinishing it and removing insulation. Was curious to see if there was a definite feel as to the legality of the process in this class.

Thanks !
HeavyRightFooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
Evice

My Ride: Spec E46, 128i, 981
When you acid dip, don't you have to address the seams that sealer is removed?

For ex: There are classes in BMWCR when they acid dip, they also typically weld the seams...Now if that becomes a requirement due to acid dipping, I'd think it would be too much. Food for thought.
- Ali #110 SE46.

Last edited by Evice; 10-08-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Evice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:32 AM   #6
Ron ///Man

My Ride: BMW's
I acid dipped one of my E30 M3's many years ago when I built it. It was for MOD class where anything goes, so it was legal. The good: it saved 60 lbs of weight. The bad: boxed channels are now totally nude, and where panels are spot welded together, there's no longer any primer in between the panels which get covered nicely when a chassis is submerged in a primer bath at the factory. There are ways to coat the insides of boxed channels to help fight off rust in the future and reapply seam sealer, but, nothing covers or lasts as well as factory applications. Once dipped, the chassis is now perfectly prepared for seam welding for sure.

'06 ZHP Sparkling Graphite
'02 SE46 Racer
'03 330ci Endurance Racer
'91 M3 Club Racer
'91 M3 Faux EVO III Driver
Ron ///Man is offline   Reply With Quote