E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum > Spec E46 racing - rule change proposals

Spec E46 racing - rule change proposals
Spec E46 racing class rule change proposals forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #21
BrainofJJJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 47
My Ride: SPEC E46, 17 CTSV
I'm 215 with gear plus add 20 or so for a cooler and with 2 gals in i weight in at 2990. I have gutted doors, lexan rear doors along with aluminum for sunroof. The car has NASCAR on both sides and some extra bracing. There is some thinning still to do but that's no more than 10 pounds. he car is really well done but i can cut some small brackets out here and there. I'm also going to gut the headlights next and finish thinning wires but there's no way to make weight unless i cut up my cage.

No way to compete at Nationals sometime given how heavy she is. I'm going to take her back to the cage builder and have him see what else can be cut away. I may cut the entire door frames in the rear and tack weld them shut. I'd drop the crash bars front and back but that's not safe nor legal i don't think.
I had a few people look at it this past weekend at COTA and people were dumbfounded how i could drop 140 lbs given how much has been done so far.

I should have just built a coupe with a simpler cage.
__________________
Brian #42 Spec E46 - Texas Region
BrainofJJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #22
Evice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wooster, OH
Posts: 80
My Ride: Spec E46, 128i, 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainofJJJ View Post
I'm 215 with gear plus add 20 or so for a cooler and with 2 gals in i weight in at 2990. I have gutted doors, lexan rear doors along with aluminum for sunroof. The car has NASCAR on both sides and some extra bracing. There is some thinning still to do but that's no more than 10 pounds. he car is really well done but i can cut some small brackets out here and there. I'm also going to gut the headlights next and finish thinning wires but there's no way to make weight unless i cut up my cage.

No way to compete at Nationals sometime given how heavy she is. I'm going to take her back to the cage builder and have him see what else can be cut away. I may cut the entire door frames in the rear and tack weld them shut. I'd drop the crash bars front and back but that's not safe nor legal i don't think.
I had a few people look at it this past weekend at COTA and people were dumbfounded how i could drop 140 lbs given how much has been done so far.

I should have just built a coupe with a simpler cage.
I don't know what to say; I am guessing here but sure Tower should be very close to your weight and he was able to drop his SilverBullet (sedan) to min weight...

Wanna post couple pictures or make a thread on FB? Cutting up cage is the last last last thing you should be doing.

Btw, china eBay headlight replacements are cheap and super light.
Evice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:33 AM   #23
BrainofJJJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 47
My Ride: SPEC E46, 17 CTSV
Good idea. I'll call Jason and have him take a look sometime. I'm going to cut the doors into almost nothing. I'd like to cut the hood supports out too. Not sure that's kosher though.
__________________
Brian #42 Spec E46 - Texas Region
BrainofJJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #24
Evice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wooster, OH
Posts: 80
My Ride: Spec E46, 128i, 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainofJJJ View Post
Good idea. I'll call Jason and have him take a look sometime. I'm going to cut the doors into almost nothing. I'd like to cut the hood supports out too. Not sure that's kosher though.
Gut the doors, take hinges out, and remove weather stripping and that about ~35 lbs... If I am remembering correctly. A little better
__________________
- Ali #110 SE46.
Evice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:31 AM   #25
BrainofJJJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 47
My Ride: SPEC E46, 17 CTSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
Gut the doors, take hinges out, and remove weather stripping and that about ~35 lbs... If I am remembering correctly. A little better
My doors are cut down nicely but more metal could be trimmed off but they would be flaps at that point. The limiters are out, not sure how hinges come off and doors stay on though

I have weather stripping on all opening just in case of a rain race but if it will save me significant weight then i will remove.
I'd like the car to be 2600 on min fuel but that seems to be too much to ask. My cage is really nice and best of all, safe...i don't plan on cutting it unless I take it back to the builder and have him do it.

When i built the car 2 years ago i didn't realized how hard it would be to make min weight, otherwise i would have chosen a coupe....well maybe not.
__________________
Brian #42 Spec E46 - Texas Region
BrainofJJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 AM   #26
Evice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wooster, OH
Posts: 80
My Ride: Spec E46, 128i, 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainofJJJ View Post
My doors are cut down nicely but more metal could be trimmed off but they would be flaps at that point. The limiters are out, not sure how hinges come off and doors stay on though

I have weather stripping on all opening just in case of a rain race but if it will save me significant weight then i will remove.
I'd like the car to be 2600 on min fuel but that seems to be too much to ask. My cage is really nice and best of all, safe...i don't plan on cutting it unless I take it back to the builder and have him do it.

When i built the car 2 years ago i didn't realized how hard it would be to make min weight, otherwise i would have chosen a coupe....well maybe not.
By hinges I meant the limiters yea.

Well I don't know man... you should be may be 30lbs over but not that much over ! We have heavier guys than you for sure.
Evice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #27
BrainofJJJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 47
My Ride: SPEC E46, 17 CTSV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
By hinges I meant the limiters yea.

Well I don't know man... you should be may be 30lbs over but not that much over ! We have heavier guys than you for sure.
After my June race i'll put it back under the knife for the summer. I'll just stick it on the scales for 2 months and go to town with the angle grinder.
__________________
Brian #42 Spec E46 - Texas Region
BrainofJJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use