E46 M3, ISC N1 coilover install and review thread, bought from Bimmerworld - Page 6 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #101
rolyat

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Is the length of the slot the same on each plate? It could just be that they changed their marking scale and you happened to get 2 different markings.

As to the camber, many things could affect it. Firstly you'll want to make sure the plates are pushed in until they hit the inner side of the factory camber slots. Then push in your struts on the plate slot.
In a perfect world they'll be even, but BMW put slots on the strut towers so that they could make sure they are even. So a proper alignment is still required.

Also, your camber will look worse if it's not on a level surface.

You may also want to angle your plates like I did (inside and back (ie. towards your stereo)) to gain caster as well. This will give you better dynamic camber, which is great since it causes you to gain camber when you turn (when you need it) without having too much for straight line braking.

I haven't measured the slots yet, plan on doing that here shortly.

The alignment of my slides are different than yours so I expect to get much more caster out of my plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isc coils camber plates.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	638989  
rolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #102
jabela

My Ride: 2002 325ci
I see what you mean. They're definitely different but not necessarily bad. In your set you get either more camber (100%) and no caster or 50% camber and caster.
On our set we get something like 75% camber and 25% caster.

Have you contacted Bimmerworld? They're usually pretty good about for support.

2002 BMW 325ci /// Sport Pkg /// 5 spd
Modern Apothecary

Last edited by jabela; 08-21-2016 at 12:22 PM.
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #103
E46 WOT

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Public service announcement on Warranty claims and getting additional parts:

Be prepared to wait a LONG time to get replacement parts. BW only carries full kits so no replacement parts from them so you have to go to ISC-NA directly. Everyone you talk to on the phone is nice but the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I was promised tracking information on a rear bottom mount (had a shock leak oil, got the replacement shock body, but the locking collar was so soft it had fused the bottom mount on and therefore had to buy one to fix the shock) 3 days in a row on the phone and never got any. Then after being sworn I'll get the part before my track day last Saturday at NCCAR I got it the Monday after.

The office culture of the North America headquarters seems to be "tell the customer whatever they want to hear so they get off the phone and then get around to what you told them weeks later." I'm still very satisfied with the product but the service has been terrible all due to lack of honesty. If you don't have the part and need to get it from the factory, just tell me! Don't lie to me and say you have it then weeks later when I'm inquiring tell me it your inventory turned out wrong. Don't tell me I'll get a tracking number today and not send me follow-up explaining why you couldn't because you don't have the part you told me you'd send!!!!

End Rant.

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8 w/ 265 BFG R1s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs, sways, and diff bushings, solid FCABs, BW performance motormounts, Rogue transmounts, BSW I-Pod Dock, Rookie BMWCCA Club Race license, 2:08.395 VIR Full Course, BW intake boot + K&N drop in filter. LinesRacing ebay headers Borla catback. EPIC race tune
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #104
Rob43
Suspension Guru

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 WOT View Post
Public service announcement on Warranty claims and getting additional parts:

Be prepared to wait a LONG time to get replacement parts. BW only carries full kits so no replacement parts from them so you have to go to ISC-NA directly. Everyone you talk to on the phone is nice but the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I was promised tracking information on a rear bottom mount (had a shock leak oil, got the replacement shock body, but the locking collar was so soft it had fused the bottom mount on and therefore had to buy one to fix the shock) 3 days in a row on the phone and never got any. Then after being sworn I'll get the part before my track day last Saturday at NCCAR I got it the Monday after.

The office culture of the North America headquarters seems to be "tell the customer whatever they want to hear so they get off the phone and then get around to what you told them weeks later." I'm still very satisfied with the product but the service has been terrible all due to lack of honesty. If you don't have the part and need to get it from the factory, just tell me! Don't lie to me and say you have it then weeks later when I'm inquiring tell me it your inventory turned out wrong. Don't tell me I'll get a tracking number today and not send me follow-up explaining why you couldn't because you don't have the part you told me you'd send!!!!

End Rant.

I feel your pain.....

It's this EXACT reason I tell forum members to buy Non-Asian made coilovers when they can. There's a reason why someone gets so many
Bells & Whistles at a cheaper price point, but it's not a good reason.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #105
808elise

My Ride: TURBO/WB E46 M3
Nice u should post on M3F too!

M///
My Journal II
GTX4202R TURBO - RECARO - WIDEBODY - AP RACING - FORTUNE AUTO
M///
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #106
E46 WOT

Track time update on the coilovers: 2:08.935 VIR Full Course

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8 w/ 265 BFG R1s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs, sways, and diff bushings, solid FCABs, BW performance motormounts, Rogue transmounts, BSW I-Pod Dock, Rookie BMWCCA Club Race license, 2:08.395 VIR Full Course, BW intake boot + K&N drop in filter. LinesRacing ebay headers Borla catback. EPIC race tune
Old 04-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #107
E46 WOT

Update, front right shock is blown (now 2nd shock to go) and leaking oil all over the wheel well. Probably not getting covered under warranty because it's 4 years old and shocks are only covered under a 2 year time frame. :/

2004.5 M3 SMG
Old 04-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #108
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 WOT View Post
Update, front right shock is blown (now 2nd shock to go) and leaking oil all over the wheel well. Probably not getting covered under warranty because it's 4 years old and shocks are only covered under a 2 year time frame. :/
Sucks. Time to move up to a high quality double adjustable set that are fully rebuildable.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Rob43 Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.

Last edited by SK330ci; 04-12-2017 at 02:03 PM.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #109
E46 WOT

So it turns out ISC had a front shock here stateside and I went ahead and had them ship it to me with new collars (after a lot of difficulty with the rear shock collars being seized up I wasn't going to try to reuse). I'll post some pictures when I get them off my phone to home computer. Really easy process once I separated the bottom mount and the shock body. It got me back to normal just in time for SVT Superfest at VIR which is a great 3 day event, I attend as a Track Club USA member since I'm clearly not in a Mustang. The car handled great, I ran down everything from new 5.0s to 350Rs, C7 Vettes, of course mainly driver difference but none-the-less these shocks really are great value.

I came across a set of Bilstein Sport coilovers that need one rebuilt for the set to work. I asked James Clay, owner of Bimmerworld and friend, if I should transition to those from the ISC N1s and he said absolutely not. I'd probably have a more cushy street ride but they wouldn't perform nearly as well as the ISC on track.

So with that advice I've gone ahead and proactively ordered another front and rear shock to refresh my whole set up. It's only $75 for a replacement shock and $5 for a collar (if needed). Talking with a lot of racers and track enthusiasts, getting as much life out of these shocks over the last 4 years is actually really good. I'd guestimate I've had 50+ track days on these shocks and 4 years of daily driving (48k miles total).

I certainly was frustrated when I found out my shock was leaking oil before an event earlier in the month but I am back in full swing a fan of these.

ISC also let me know they had gone thru an admittedly poor season of customer service and availability of parts in part of 2016 and certainly this has been a different experience than when I got my rear shock replaced.

2004.5 M3 SMG
Old 05-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #110
onefastsicilian

My Ride: 03.5 m3
this thread convinced me to order a set... it was either these or BC or SGT.. WEnt with these.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #111
syrarch04

My Ride: '03 M3
So I have a set of the Track version in the mail, so I'll see what I get, but I thought I would relay what Bimmerworld just told me about the camber plates. Because of some of the posts above about camber and caster adjustment I asked them if the current model is camber only or camber and caster combo (as the OP has indicated) or what. They said they have seen this vary (kind of scary, not sure how that is possible from a manufacturer's standpoint) and that what ISC considers the correct plates are camber only, but some are machined at an angle which allow caster adjustment as well, which is good. If they are the "correct" plates and have no caster adjustment, and are sold as universal for all E46 models including the M3, they will have the factory amount of caster for an M3, which is more than a non-M has. So in other words, caster improvement for a non-M, and it doesn't reduce the caster on an M3. We'll see what I get with my roll of the dice...
syrarch04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:37 PM   #112
jabela

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrarch04 View Post
So I have a set of the Track version in the mail, so I'll see what I get, but I thought I would relay what Bimmerworld just told me about the camber plates. Because of some of the posts above about camber and caster adjustment I asked them if the current model is camber only or camber and caster combo (as the OP has indicated) or what. They said they have seen this vary (kind of scary, not sure how that is possible from a manufacturer's standpoint) and that what ISC considers the correct plates are camber only, but some are machined at an angle which allow caster adjustment as well, which is good. If they are the "correct" plates and have no caster adjustment, and are sold as universal for all E46 models including the M3, they will have the factory amount of caster for an M3, which is more than a non-M has. So in other words, caster improvement for a non-M, and it doesn't reduce the caster on an M3. We'll see what I get with my roll of the dice...
On my set, and I believe all that I've seen, the cast is only adjustable by rotation the plate, but you trade off camber adjustment when you do that.
So you either have 100% camber adjustment, 100% caster adjustment, or 50/50 camber/caster adjustment with the slot 45' between.

Modern Apothecary
Old 06-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #113
syrarch04

So I got the typical camber only "version" of the plates. Based on what Bimmerworld told me about the caster, I didn't care. Except when I took it to the shop to have them installed, the shop tells me the opposite, that it will remove caster from my M3. I just called ISC and Bimmerworld and they both confirmed what the shop told me. FML

So - How important is this? Everyone talks about camber in relation to handling, tire wear, etc., but rarely do I see the merits of caster discussed. I know what it is, and I know typically when getting a performance alignment with plates that are adjustable, the caster is maximized. What happens to the handling if it's actually reduced from factory spec on these cars? Does it place further stress on the strut mount area of the chassis? ISC noted that they've sold a lot of these kits for track focused cars and never heard of a problem. The OP on this thread hasn't mentioned this. Does it matter?

I use my car for auto-x and track days mostly, and occasional back road fun, not a DD.

Last edited by syrarch04; 06-14-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #114
jabela

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrarch04 View Post
So I got the typical camber only "version" of the plates. Based on what Bimmerworld told me about the caster, I didn't care. Except when I took it to the shop to have them installed, the shop tells me the opposite, that it will remove caster from my M3. I just called ISC and Bimmerworld and they both confirmed what the shop told me. FML

So - How important is this? Everyone talks about camber in relation to handling, tire wear, etc., but rarely do I see the merits of caster discussed. I know what it is, and I know typically when getting a performance alignment with plates that are adjustable, the caster is maximized. What happens to the handling if it's actually reduced from factory spec on these cars? Does it place further stress on the strut mount area of the chassis? ISC noted that they've sold a lot of these kits for track focused cars and never heard of a problem. The OP on this thread hasn't mentioned this. Does it matter?

I use my car for auto-x and track days mostly, and occasional back road fun, not a DD.
Usually you want as much positive caster as you can get, as it adds dynamic camber. Dynamic camber gives you more negative camber on your outer wheel (and less on your inner) when you turn the wheel, which is just when you need it most.
The downside is that steering effort is increased. Way too much caster could prevent your wheel from returning to center on its own.
There are also weight jacking and other smaller effects.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...and-Scrub.aspx

Modern Apothecary
Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #115
syrarch04

Ok, so update. I adapted the N1 to fit the Turner camber/caster plates I had, got everything installed, and it feels nice and tight. Here's a question though: The rear ride height is about 5/8" higher than I wanted, and I've got the spring seat screwed all the way against the perch. If I understand how this works correctly (and I may not), the spring and its adjustable perch determines the ride height, and the screw adjustment on the shock body determines the droop, so in combination they determine the suspension's effective range. If I'm right that means I can't go any lower, but I have a hard time believing that because I'm really not slamming it. Low yes, but not slammed. Shooting for 13.0" ride height in the back, which is a pretty common number. For a race car like the OP's I would be surprised if he wouldn't be as low as I'm shooting for.