E46 M3 Vanos Issues - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #1
Jaredeck

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3 Vert
E46 M3 Vanos Issues

So I have been on this forum for sometime and I recently purchased a 2003 E46 M3 Vert SMG with 55K miles the body is super straight not dents, dings or accidents overall what I thought was a super clean car. I had the car for a week and got an SES light luckily I bought the car with a 100 day warranty. Long story short the car is currently at a BMW dealership and diagnosed with a broken vanos system. One of the tabs broke off and feel into the block the metal was fished out, but the whole vanos system needs to be replaced.

My question is the dealership is willing to fix the motor including an engine block flush or they are will unwind the deal. The car overall is clean and I love it, but wanted peoples opinions on is it time to walk away due to unforeseen problems.
Jaredeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Run away. Did you have a PPI performed?

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Jaredeck

I didn't have a PPI done because of the warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
phil_anderer

My Ride: M3
Choxor, I know you have something you would like to add!
phil_anderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredeck View Post
I didn't have a PPI done because of the warranty.
That is no reason to not have a PPI. Not having a PPI done is saying that you don't care about what you are buying.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
Commando

My Ride: M3 - SMG
The important question is how much damage did the broken tab do? This is not an unheard of failure in the S54 and many motors have survived. A careful examination is required.
Second issue is how well the dealer will implement the repair. Ideally you don't want the OE parts again. The dealer may not agree. You could upgrade them after the warranty period expires.
The dealer should renew your 100 day warranty too and be prepared to resolve any issues that come up in the P(ost)PI you should get done.
55K is low miles for this car so it should be good but...
Old 06-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
Jaredeck

Thanks for the feedback commando it's appreciated. As for Alan I don't recal askin your opinion on a PPI.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
BunnySlope

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredeck View Post
Thanks for the feedback commando it's appreciated. As for Alan I don't recal askin your opinion on a PPI.

Don't be a Richard...
You 'did' with your post. Alan' been here for 15 years with a ton of good advice.
If you bothered with doing any research or reading any of the enthusiast magazines about buying an E46/M3, the (inevitable) first piece of advice is to get a PPI.
Ignore the advice from experienced long-time member owners at your own peril. Smh...

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

"Fast cars only love to go straight...Fast DRIVERS love the corners!"

"I have no doubt that I AM the slowest part of my car."

BunnySlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #9
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Is this a BMW dealership? Then sure, let them fix it. Is it a shady ass buy-here pay-here lot? Then no. Unwind the deal. A PPI may not have found a tab that's about to break, but it does let you know whether or not you're buying an piece of crap. If you had one done you'd at least know what kind of condition the car is REALLY in and you'd at least have information to make a decision with.

Last edited by choxor; 06-19-2017 at 10:50 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Jaredeck

Thanks everyone I appreciate the opinions I did buy the car from a BMW dealership. I am not questioning the value of a PPI I just chose not to do it based on my evaluation of the car. With that being said I was just curious on peoples thoughts about the motor after having a vanos issue.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I'd let them replace it then. Doubt it did any real damage. Many times VANOS unit itself doesn't have to be replaced. Either way, I'd still get an inspection done of the car and do the beisan upgrades to the VANOS, especially the oil pump disc.