Fuel Gauge - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum

Spec E46 racing class forum
Official Spec E46 racing class forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
jhall1957

My Ride: 01 330ci & 00 M road
Fuel Gauge

I'm pretty sure I saw this addressed somewhere before, but....

after several of us put the dual fuel pump system into our cars, it doesn't seem accurate. When filled it reads 3/4 full.

Is there a simple "fix"? Does the gauge read correctly when tank is lower then 3/4 of a tank? Does it work accurately all the way down to E?

Thanks!
jhall1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
325ragtop

My Ride: needs more HP
Mine doesn't..... not accurate at all, at any level. I bring fuel with me and basically ignore the gauge.... it's annoying and I'd fix it if I knew how. My tank will run dry long before the gauge reads E.

Last edited by 325ragtop; 08-28-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added info
325ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #3
jblz

My Ride: Nissan 350z
subscribed...
jblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
325ragtop

I guess no one has an answer... Bummer!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #5
Speedracer17

My Ride: 83 e21, 01 Spece46
I initially had some problem with mine as well. tried two things that resulted in the gauge working spot on again. The orientation of the level sender is pretty sensitive. You might want to try rotating it a little bit either way to see if it changes anything. The second thing was i found out i had mine wired AND plumbed backwards causing the fuel to get trapped in one side of the tank and the gauge read way off.

Hopefully that helps. Everyone i know that has the dual pump has no problems with their gauge.
NorCal SE46 #21
Speedracer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld
Sponsor

My Ride: M3/LMR-3
There's no guaranteed fix, but the trick seems to be to move the float from the original sender over to the new, second pump; then try to orient the pump so that the float can move through its full range of motion. I confirmed with our product development team that it seems to generally mean the float needs to face the front of the car. You'll probably need to endure a bit of trial and error to ensure that the gauge is working properly in your individual car, though.

Jonathan
BimmerWorld
Race Proven Performance
www.bimmerworld.com
www.bimmerworldracing.com
Jonathan @ BimmerWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
325ragtop

Thanks for the advice guys... I'll mess around with it a bit and see if I can tweak it.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
jborchelt

My Ride: E46 | F30
Just some background info:
The replacement drivers side pump is an E36 part with a range of 10 ohms empty and 250 full while the stock (scavenger side) fuel pump/sender has a range of 70 ohms empty and 310 full.
If you biased the E36 sender with a 60 ohm resistor, you would match the stock sender and thus have an accurate fuel gauge throughout the full range of fuel.

Last edited by jborchelt; 10-31-2016 at 04:19 PM.
jborchelt is offline   Reply With Quote