E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
megammax

My Ride: M3
Slipping clutch after 40,000 miles

Posted this over at m3forum, but wanted to see if anyone here could offer some insight.

Hey Everyone. Here's a little background on my car. About 40k miles ago I had a clutch replacement. I had the clutch disk, pressure plate, release bearing, flywheel, pilot bearing and pivot pin replaced.

Over the past month or two I've noticed what feels like the clutch slipping. I first noticed on the highway, when I stepped on the gas there would be an rpm surge before the car accelerated. It's gotten progressively worse. Now it slips between all gears. The rpms will surge almost to redline when changing gears.

I just replaced my guibo and center support bearing hoping that was the problem. There is no change in performance after these repairs.

It seems unlikely that I could have burned the clutch this quickly. I don't ride the clutch or drive like a maniac. Is there something else that could cause this behavior? Master or slave cylinder? I haven't noticed any leaks and my reservoir is full. I have noticed that I have to keep the clutch pedal pushed all the way to the floor to start the car.

A few months ago I switched out my brake calipers, but did not bleed the clutch. Could that have started the problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
megammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
Dan04E46

My Ride: '04 S54B32 Coupe
Leaking rear main seal?

DAN WAS HERE
2001 330Ci= Sold :(
2004 M3 coupe= Mine! :D
Dan04E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
megammax

Would I be able to see the leak from under the car?
Old 06-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by megammax View Post
Would I be able to see the leak from under the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan04E46 View Post
Leaking rear main seal?

Have you been finding oil under your car? Was the rear main not replaced with the clutch?

You might be able to see it leaking. Look on the bottom of the bell housing where it mates the engine, you will find a small gap at the bottom. Oil will drip from here, and usually cover the bottom of your trans if the rear main is leaking. Other leaks further forward can cover this aria as well. Clean the under side really well, and check again after a short time.

If so, you are probably looking at a new clutch disk, rear main, PB, TOB. I think the oil contaminates the disk, and I wouldn't open my trans without replacing the rest anyway.

Flywheel and PP should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 06-09-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
megammax

I was just under there replacing guibo and center support bearing and didn't notice any leaks. But I'll check again tomorrow. Regardless I'm taking it to the shop next week, but am still open to suggestions.

Last edited by megammax; 06-09-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
megammax

Looked under the car. No leaks.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
If it is not leaking, I would really check the slave cylinder's operation & bleed it thoroughly.

You would be looking at pressure plate next if that checks out.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Slipping clutch after 40,000 miles

What does the clutch pedal feel like? Do you feel any vibration if you rest your foot on the pedal, or press lightly?

Do you have a self adjusting pressure plate? Try bleeding the master/slave, make sure it's working properly, and go drive the crap out of it. It's going to work, or it won't. Can't really harm it further.

I personally don't think a slave would make the clutch slip. It should be the opposite, as it would be unable to engage the clutch and staying locked up.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Last edited by BKMrSteel; 06-12-2017 at 11:41 AM.
BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #9
GhostFlame

Sure it can. If the piston doesn't fully retract, your clutch is never fully engaged.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
GhostFlame

Also, did you check your brake fluid level? Simple but often overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megammax View Post

I just replaced my guibo and center support bearing hoping that was the problem. There is no change in performance after these repairs.
I'm confused.. these parts have nothing to do with a slipping clutch.

If the guibo completely failed (never heard of such a case), you would not be moving anywhere at all.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
megammax

Fluid level is good. I'll try bleeding everything thoroughly.

Replacing the guibo and center support was wishful thinking. I already had the parts and they needed to be replaced anyway.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
megammax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
Sure it can. If the piston doesn't fully retract, your clutch is never fully engaged.
This is what it feels like. Clutch engages, but not fully. The pedal has no vibrations and shifts easily between gears. It just doesn't have the power.
The rpms go up way too much in proportion of the speed the car is traveling.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #13
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 1999 328is
Are you sure you didn't drive the hell out of it?

Last edited by shoman24v; 06-12-2017 at 07:50 PM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
megammax

Not enough to destroy the clutch this fast. The original clutch lasted 130,000 miles.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #15
Commando

My Ride: M3 - SMG
If its an original SAC they can be installed wrongly and not adjust. Requires removal and correct re-install.
If you have not burned the clutch out yet you can re-use it.

Last edited by Commando; 06-15-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: short term memory loss.
Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #16
megammax

Bringing it in tomorrow. I'll update the thread when I have a diagnosis. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #17
megammax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando View Post
If its an original SAC they can be installed wrongly and not adjust. Requires removal and correct re-install.
If you have not burned the clutch out yet you can re-use it.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Unfortunately it looks like I need a new clutch kit and flywheel.