E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #81
BDUB328I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,729
My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
R u guys using the stree/performance or track valving?
__________________
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #82
jabela
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 170
My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
R u guys using the stree/performance or track valving?
Street.
__________________

2002 BMW 325ci /// Sport Pkg /// 5 spd
Modern Apothecary
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:01 PM   #83
BDUB328I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,729
My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Street.
Wow ... tracking the street set up on full soft that's surprising I can't imagine how stiff the race would b
__________________
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #84
jabela
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 170
My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
Wow ... tracking the street set up on full soft that's surprising I can't imagine how stiff the race would b
It's street/track, so it's pretty stiff for a "street" valving. Depending on the track, I went up to 50% stiffness, but my open diff in the rear limits how stiff I can set the rear due to wheelspin coming out of corners.
__________________

2002 BMW 325ci /// Sport Pkg /// 5 spd
Modern Apothecary
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #85
325ragtop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 135
My Ride: needs more HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
R u guys using the stree/performance or track valving?
Hey BDUB, I have a set on the way spec'd out with the race dampers and 10K front /12K rear springs. I won't be able to give you feedback of how they perform on the track until this spring, but you're welcome to come take them for a test drive once I get them installed.

Based on my research and discussion with Gary @ BW, the firmer of the 2 street varients is probably the way to go for you.

BTW: Did you get the sunroof installed yet?
325ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #86
BDUB328I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,729
My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ragtop View Post
Hey BDUB, I have a set on the way spec'd out with the race dampers and 10K front /12K rear springs. I won't be able to give you feedback of how they perform on the track until this spring, but you're welcome to come take them for a test drive once I get them installed.

Based on my research and discussion with Gary @ BW, the firmer of the 2 street varients is probably the way to go for you.

BTW: Did you get the sunroof installed yet?
When I looked on the BW website it looked like there were only two valving options, Street performance and Track. am I missing one that's in between those two?

I installed the sunroof but for some reason it only tilts and does not attempt to slide. I haven't touched it since... I'm hoping to get my car into my garage and do some things this week and get it figured out then...
__________________

Last edited by BDUB328I; 12-02-2014 at 08:03 AM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #87
325ragtop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 135
My Ride: needs more HP
According to the ISC website, there are 3 valving options. "Street Comfort", "Street Sport", and "Track Race"

An application guide can be found here: http://iscsuspension-na.com/coilover-application-guide/
325ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #88
BDUB328I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,729
My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ragtop View Post
According to the ISC website, there are 3 valving options. "Street Comfort", "Street Sport", and "Track Race"

An application guide can be found here: http://iscsuspension-na.com/coilover-application-guide/
good to know.

They look like quality pieces. I'm still on the fence though because I really want something with a lifetime warranty...
__________________

Last edited by BDUB328I; 12-03-2014 at 12:47 PM.
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #89
Rob43
OEM ///Member
 
Rob43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 8,006
My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Please correct me if I'm wrong,.......but these are an Asian made Coilover right ?


Rob43
__________________



Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #90
325ragtop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 135
My Ride: needs more HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong,.......but these are an Asian made Coilover right ?


Rob43
Yes, that's correct.

I don't know if your question implies value/quality judgement as is too often the case in forum chat. They're definately a price item, but they seem to get a lot a positive reviews and appear to be good value for money when compared to other options like Billy Sport/Koni / H&R springs or OE replacements. They appear to have a greater market presence and longer history in Asia and Australia. Country of origin can often be a good predictor of quality, but I don't see it as reason to automatically dismiss a product, and for my particular application I think the ISC kits make sense.

Over the course of 2015 & 2016, I'll be completing an SE46 build, while also tracking my recently acquired 330 as much as possible. The car has an all original, 14 year old 145K mile suspension and I'm not ready for the expense of the SE46 MCS setup just yet. I expect to get a couple of seasons out of the ISC setup and sell them when I'm ready to upgrade.

I did struggle a bit with the choice between ISC vs. tried and true Billy Sport/H&R race. Ultimately I wanted the flexibility to play with damping, height and alignment, and learn the effects of those adjustments on handling. For under $1K to my door, complete with camber plates, custom specified spring rates and valving, I figured the risk associated with an unknown brand was acceptable. We shall see.
325ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #91
BDUB328I
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,729
My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325ragtop View Post
Yes, that's correct.

I don't know if your question implies value/quality judgement as is too often the case in forum chat. They're definately a price item, but they seem to get a lot a positive reviews and appear to be good value for money when compared to other options like Billy Sport/Koni / H&R springs or OE replacements. They appear to have a greater market presence and longer history in Asia and Australia. Country of origin can often be a good predictor of quality, but I don't see it as reason to automatically dismiss a product, and for my particular application I think the ISC kits make sense.

Over the course of 2015 & 2016, I'll be completing an SE46 build, while also tracking my recently acquired 330 as much as possible. The car has an all original, 14 year old 145K mile suspension and I'm not ready for the expense of the SE46 MCS setup just yet. I expect to get a couple of seasons out of the ISC setup and sell them when I'm ready to upgrade.

I did struggle a bit with the choice between ISC vs. tried and true Billy Sport/H&R race. Ultimately I wanted the flexibility to play with damping, height and alignment, and learn the effects of those adjustments on handling. For under $1K to my door, complete with camber plates, custom specified spring rates and valving, I figured the risk associated with an unknown brand was acceptable. We shall see.


cant wait to hear your results. Also when you bite the bullet and get some MCS I need to take a ride, I've been drooling over them for years. but like you said, I'm just not quite ready for that yet. Maybe follow suit with what your doing. Get some cheap <$1000 coilovers to hold me over for a couple years then upgrade...
__________________
BDUB328I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #92
E46 WOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 233
My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
I wanted to update that I've finally been dialing in the ISC N1 adjustments for VIR. I've run a 2:12.111 and 2:12.307 recently on them using 80% front stiffness and 60% rear stiffness. Those settings really worked well with my set up and I'd probably crank them up more next time I'm on track. These things are seriously amazing bang for buck. Since I track my only car and daily/driver I leave 2/10s on the table in the brakezones and high speed corners so there's more time to be had. Between those just those two laps my hypothetical best is a 2:10.8. They gave me a ton of confidence in the upper esses and here's a video showing minimum/maximum speeds pulled from my aim solo data filmed at Nasa MA Hyperfest 3 weeks ago. It's only 2:42 long.

__________________

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8 w/ 245/265 R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs, sways, and diff bushings, solid FCABs, BW performance motormounts, Rogue transmounts, BSW I-Pod Dock, Rookie BMWCCA Club Race license, 2:08.935 VIR Full Course, BW intake boot + K&N drop in filter. Borla catback exhaust.
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #93
Morpheustj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Raleighwood, NC
Posts: 3
My Ride: BMW's
This is Great info.. I used a AIM this past weekend for the 1st time to start checking my times to dial things in a little better and was doing 2.13's & .14's but I'm on stock dampers with HR & springs & street tires.. I think I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on these.. I'm thinking about doing the BW RS in April so this looks like a good segway.. Thx again for sharing..
Morpheustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #94
Redshift
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 84
My Ride: M5T, M5, M3T, 330Cic
Still enjoying this setup? How would you rate it for street use? I'm in a hurry to get some coilovers for my build project and this might work well on the touring I'm building if the rear spring rates can be adjusted.
__________________
2003 Sapphire/Brown M3T: In Progress
2003 Sapphire/Tan SC M5T
2001 Lemans/Caramel M5
2002 Orient/Tan/Blue 330Cic

Sold: 1994 Imola 332i w/S50B32
RIP: 1995 Avus/Black M3
Redshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #95
E46 WOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 233
My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheustj View Post
This is Great info.. I used a AIM this past weekend for the 1st time to start checking my times to dial things in a little better and was doing 2.13's & .14's but I'm on stock dampers with HR & springs & street tires.. I think I'm gonna have to pull the trigger on these.. I'm thinking about doing the BW RS in April so this looks like a good segway.. Thx again for sharing..
Definitely do Race School. Sooooo much fun. Practice starts are a blast and the SRE (simulated racing exercise) at the very end is unbelievable. If you attend, I won't be there (I'm instructing at NCCAR) but a bunch of my friends will be there as instructors and racers and I was just hanging out with the chief instructor Jason Crist today (and most weekends). He helped me install the ISC N1s that this write up came from.
__________________

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8 w/ 245/265 R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs, sways, and diff bushings, solid FCABs, BW performance motormounts, Rogue transmounts, BSW I-Pod Dock, Rookie BMWCCA Club Race license, 2:08.935 VIR Full Course, BW intake boot + K&N drop in filter. Borla catback exhaust.
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #96
E46 WOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 233
My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Still enjoying this setup? How would you rate it for street use? I'm in a hurry to get some coilovers for my build project and this might work well on the touring I'm building if the rear spring rates can be adjusted.
I have solid fcabs (well a thin delrin insert) so my feedback is insanely more bumpy than oem or poly fcab* That said in Winter time (thank goodness it's over for where I live) it's like a 4.5 out of 10, they get pretty harsh. Now that weather is warmer they're like a 7.5-8 out of 10. On track I'd give them 9 out of 10. Overall for the price they're great. I love them. I think you can order different spring rates when you get them so ask Bimmerworld when you call for what they recommend.
__________________

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8 w/ 245/265 R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs, sways, and diff bushings, solid FCABs, BW performance motormounts, Rogue transmounts, BSW I-Pod Dock, Rookie BMWCCA Club Race license, 2:08.935 VIR Full Course, BW intake boot + K&N drop in filter. Borla catback exhaust.
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #97
rolyat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 9
My Ride: 2002 325Ci
I just received these today and installed the front. I set the camber plates all the way negative and I noticed my driver side only has five hash marks from center where my passenger plate has six from center. They both are set on the 5th hash but the camber angle of my driver side doesn't seem to be as aggressive the other.

Also.. my camber adjusters don't appear to be the same as yours.

Can you confirm this? Because I am thinking I may have the wrong plates, maybe E36 or something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	68
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	638859  

Last edited by rolyat; 08-18-2016 at 08:02 PM.
rolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #98
jabela
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 170
My Ride: 2002 325ci
Some real pics of your plates would help us out.
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:01 AM   #99
rolyat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 9
My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Some real pics of your plates would help us out.
Yes I know.. sorry, I didn't have any available at the time.

My drivers side is what I am having issues with.. standing behind the car the Camber angle just isn't as aggressive as the passenger.

It's very clear that they do not match the image you posted Jabela

rolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #100
jabela
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 170
My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolyat View Post
Yes I know.. sorry, I didn't have any available at the time.

My drivers side is what I am having issues with.. standing behind the car the Camber angle just isn't as aggressive as the passenger.

It's very clear that they do not match the image you posted Jabela
Is the length of the slot the same on each plate? It could just be that they changed their marking scale and you happened to get 2 different markings.

As to the camber, many things could affect it. Firstly you'll want to make sure the plates are pushed in until they hit the inner side of the factory camber slots. Then push in your struts on the plate slot.
In a perfect world they'll be even, but BMW put slots on the strut towers so that they could make sure they are even. So a proper alignment is still required.

Also, your camber will look worse if it's not on a level surface.

You may also want to angle your plates like I did (inside and back (ie. towards your stereo)) to gain caster as well. This will give you better dynamic camber, which is great since it causes you to gain camber when you turn (when you need it) without having too much for straight line braking.
__________________

2002 BMW 325ci /// Sport Pkg /// 5 spd
Modern Apothecary

Last edited by jabela; 08-19-2016 at 02:40 PM.
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2016 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use