E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Fuel pump change help!

879 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  bighitbiker3 
#1 ·
So I'm in the middle of doing my fuel pump and Im a pretty big idiot. I forgot to relieve the pressure from the fuel line. Sooo when I took it off it shot what seemed to be a never ending stream of 91 octane everywhere - Peter North-style ****. So a lot went behind where the fuel pump is ( down the back side of gas tank I assume?). Will this drain onto the ground or do I have to get this **** out of there or what?!??

#2 ·
Not to worry too much about the fuel that went on the top of the fuel tank, it will evaporate and drip to the ground, hopefully you are not in a garage or closed area.

One KEY thing to do if you have not installed the pump yet, the tank seal MUST be put on the edge of the tank opening!!! DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE SEAL ON THE SENDING UNIT, THEN INSTALL THE UNIT INTO THE TANK.

If you did not install the seal on the tank opening lip and you have installed the pump, redo the seal now before you fill up the car and find out the hard way!

#3 ·
JFOJ - thanks for your help. I'm outside thankfully. But yes I just put in the new pump and put the seal in first.

The pump sort of popped into place. But if I took pressure off of it it would pop back out. So I used pressure and popped it into place and continued using pressure until I got the ring on. Is this okay??

#4 ·
As long as you made sure the side seal groove was installed on the lip of the tank opening you should be in good shape, but it is easy enough to pop the pump back out and verify you actually have the seal groove on the tank opening edge, if you have any question about it, you may want to double check it.

It has been a long time since I have replaced an E46 pump, but my E39 senders popped into place and stayed in place without me having issues getting the large ring in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.