E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Question About E46 Offset

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  VMRWheels 
#1 ·
Right now i'm running 225/45/17 in the front & 245/40/17 in the back. The car is stock height with stock m68s. I know I need 5x120 but not sure on what + Offset to go with and what's the best size with no fender rolling. I'm open to fender rolling if need be. I just want a nice flush look, nothing like baby daytons or anything dramatic. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
This is great info, ECS and VMR... is there any ADVANTAGE going with squared over staggered?

Ability to do tire rotations? (although, I've read in the Bentley manual that tire rotations are NOT recommended. And if your tires are directional, you could really only do front-to-back anyway.)

Lighter unsprung weight?

I guess the biggest thing is avoiding any rubbing issues, and with the squared, you can play with spacers to get things just right.

#7 ·
Some people prefer the handing characteristics of square set ups vs staggered. A square set up is going to be less prone to under-steer compared to a staggered set up.

Un-sprung weight, well sometimes. I'm not going to consider that a pro or con.

Tire rotation is one of the reason people go for squared set ups. Often it has to be done by a tire shop (removing tires and re-balancing wheels) but you can stretch the life of the tires vs a staggered set.

#9 · (Edited)
Some people prefer the handing characteristics of square set ups vs staggered. A square set up is going to be less prone to under-steer compared to a staggered set up.
Are any handling advantages nullified if you use spacers? Or is individual tire width more relevant than overall track width?

We recommend 18x8.5 ET35...
Was looking at the VMR V703 (also known as VB3, right?), and these appear to be ET40, not ET35... is that still ok for the E46 (non-M)?

And forgive my ignorance... would the higher offset number translate into "more" or "less" aggressive? (i.e., sticks out farther...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.