E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Replaced alternator/battery, still lights on the dash

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  thadon1883 
#1 ·
So my alternator died, and I replaced the battery and the alternator. All is well. I've measured the voltage at the battery and its hovering around 13.7 volts and I've had my car running for about a half hour (with headlights, radio, rear defroster on, etc), and the voltage is still hovering at 13.7. When I rev the engine, the voltage stays around 13.7 still.

So my main problem is....

When my car died the other day, my DSC, BRAKE, and ABS lights all come on. After replacing everything, those lights are still all on.

So what is causing this? Is it a faulty alternator? Should the voltage raise when I rev the engine? Does it take a bit of time/miles for those dash lights to turn off?

I have the 49-DL battery from autozone, and I have a brand new Bosch 120 amp alternator with the new voltage regulator on it.

Any one know what could be happening?

#2 ·
something is definately wrong with your whole set up because when i changed my alternator/battery, all the dash lights went out instantly. did you remember to hook up the positive electrical wire and connector to the back of the alternator when reinstalling it? if so, it could be a faulty regulator, i suggest taking the alternator to autozone and have them test it for you, and if the battery ran on the faulty alternator then it sucked all the power out and ull need a new battery as well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.